[APP][Pro&Cloud] DoorBird

DoorBird for Homey

App Store Page: DoorBird App for Homey | Homey

Description

Use Homey together with a DoorBird IP Video Door Station. Let the DoorBird notify Homey when the doorbell is rang or when motion is detected, use Homey to control the DoorBird relay, trigger the IR light or send a snapshot through email.

Instructions

Adding the DoorBird as device

After installation of the Homey app you need to add your DoorBird(s) as device in Homey. This requires you to enter the credentials of a valid user account. For pairing with Homey Cloud this needs to be the admin user. For pairing with Homey Pro you need a user with the correct permissions. This user can be created through the DoorBird smartphone app. Best is to use a separate account for this and make sure this user is granted API-operator permissions as this is needed for communication with Homey Pro.

Notifications from DoorBird to Homey

View the instructions

For the doorbell alarm, motion alarm, doorbell rang, motion detected and door open trigger flow cards to work in Homey the DoorBird needs to be configured to send HTTP notifications for these events to Homey. During pairing you will be given the option to configure a notification schedule. If you are using the HTTP notifications from the DoorBird for other purposes you can opt-out, otherwise leave this option enabled to ensure your DoorBird is able to communicate with Homey. You can always remove are re-add the notification schedule at a later time as well through the maintenance actions of your DoorBird.

Setting up email

View the instructions

To be able to send snapshots through email you will need to configure an email account which sends out the email. In the general settings of the DoorBird app there is a section to configure your email account. Please pay attention to the extra information when adding a Gmail account, this requires you to use a specific app password which needs to be setup within your Google account.

Playing Sound Files

View the instructions

On Homey Pro the DoorBird app for Homey will allow you to play audio files through flows. This can for instance be used to play a standard message over the intercom when somebody rings the bell and you are not at home telling the visitor to wait until you speak to them. DoorBird is however very picky as to what audio it will play and you cant just use any mp3 file. The audio file also needs some silence at the start as DoorBird does not play the file send from Homey from the start (this needs further investigation). Below are the basic steps to get this to work.

1. Create the audio file you want to play, for instance by using online text-to-speech services. Keep your messages short as there is a limit of 900Kb for each file.
  2. Install an audio editing program which allows you to edit the audio but also export it as decoded raw audio. These steps use Audacity as reference. A free and multi-platform audio editor.
  3. Open the audio file in the audio editor and add about 1 second of silence at the front of the file. How this is done depends on the audio editor you are using but usually you can just copy a silent part and paste it until you have the one second silence.
  4. Export the file with the following configuration.
  • Format: uncompressed audio
  • Channels: Mono
  • Sample rate: 8000 Hz
  • Header: RAW (header-less)
  • Encoding: U-Law
  1. Save it with the .raw extension.
  2. Upload the file on the DoorBird app settings page in Homey and use it with the Play Sound action flow card available under the device.

Known issues

• When paired with Homey Cloud it can happen that the images are not available. The workaround is to reinstall the app from the app store to force an app reboot. This should eventually result in the images being displayed.
1 Like

Changelog

v3.1.2 - 2021-12-03

• Added support for Homey Cloud

v3.0.8 - 2021-07-08

• Switched to manual discovery strategy as Homey firmware 7.x marks devices as offline when mDNS is not working on the users network and the device has been paired manually.

v3.0.6 - 2021-05-11

Update of underlying library to patch a security vunerability, no functional changes.

v3.0.5 - 2021-03-31

• Added an opt-out option for scheduling notification events during pairing to make setup more user friendly.

v3.0.4 - 2021-03-04

• Updated the app description

v3.0.3 - 2021-03-02

• Updated the branding with new logo, app color and images

v3.0.2 - 2021-02-22

• Update to SDK3 (requires Homey firmware 5.x).
  • Changed the relay functionality from a button to a slider under the device to avoid accidentally opening the door.
  • Moved the functionality for adding the HTTP notifications from the app settings to the individual device settings for a more robust configuration. This requires you to re-configure your notifications in the DoorBird smartphone app though. See the support forum for more information.
  • Added manual pairing fo those situations where mDNS is not working
  • Added a extra relay sliders for devices that support multiple relays

v.2.4.5 - 2020-04-14

Small code improvements, no functional changes.

v2.4.3 - 2019-08-13

• FIX: fix for motion snapshot token (it displayed the live snapshot)
  • IMPROVEMENT: better error handling when permissions have not been configured correcty

v2.4.2 - 2019-08-11

• FIX: small fix for devices being unavailable
  • FIX: small fix for quirky pairing wizard template

v2.4.0 - 2019-08-08

IMPROVEMENT: implemented device discovery

v2.3.4 - 2019-08-05

FIX: fixed setting the notification URLs from the app settings page

v2.3.3 - 2019-07-17

FIX: small fix for relay as button capability

v2.3.2 - 2019-07-12

• NEW: add default relay as button capability so it shows up as button in the mobile app under the device (requires repairing)

v2.3.0 - 2019-05-24 & 2.3.1 - 2019-05-27

BREAKING CHANGES: this update will break the snapshot tokens, both the global and the trigger card tokens. The snapshot tokens have been updated to an officially supported image token that has been made available with firmware 2.2.0 and smartphone app version 2.4.0. You will have to update your flows where these snapshot tokens are in use. This update will install from firmware 2.2.0 and up.

• IMPROVEMENT: support for the new devices / driver images
  • IMPROVEMENT: improved performance for snapshots on trigger cards

v2.2.8 - 2019-03-04

• FIX: improvements to pairing and settings template for firmware 2.x
  • FIX: code improvements to avoid continous spinner on email snapshot action cards

v2.2.7 - 2018-12-27

FIX: removed incoming IP address security validation in api.js due to Athom removing the request object in firmware 2.x

v2.2.6 - 2018-12-14

FIX: update compatibility to enable install on Homey firmware v2.x

v2.2.5 - 2018-11-06

FIX: fix issue with pairing wizard preventing new DoorBirds to be added to Homey

v2.2.4 - 2018-10-10

• NEW: extended the “open door” action card with a dropdown where you can select the desired relay (for DoorBird devices with more than 1 relay)
  • NEW: added a token with the relay name to the “door has been opened” trigger card allowing you to identify which relay has been triggered (for DoorBird devices with more than 1 relay, this requires you to re-add the notifications from the DoorBird Homey app settings page)
  • FIX: fixed the “ask to open door” action card

v2.2.3 - 2018-09-08

• REFACTORING: switched from request node module to node-fetch (reduced footprint from 9MB to 1,5MB)
  • UPDATE: removed settings for scheduling relay notifications, this can now be set in the DoorBird smartphone app

v2.2.2 - 2018-08-22

• DOCS: updated the description to explain in more detail how to configure the door relay trigger
  • UPDATE: updated app manifest to include id of new forum support topic
  • UPDATE: updated node packages to latest versions

v2.2.1 - 2018-04-26

• FIX: fixed a bug which would cause issues with notifications for DoorBirds paired on v2.2.0
1 Like

With this app you can use your DoorBird as a motion sensor for Heimdall

I am new, so not sure if this is the right place to post.
In a former discussion I saw someone with the same problem:

I double checked the IP, user en password but it still does not work.
I use static IP adresse and the Doorbird is connected by ethernetcable.
You posted earlier:
https://github.com/jghaanstra/com.doorbird/tree/debug
I tried to click on the link but I received a 404 error.

I am still very eager to use your app. Is there a way to debug my problem?
Thnks in advance

Problem solved by logging into the doorbird with the same account.

v2.2.3 - 2018-09-08

• REFACTORING: switched from request node module to node-fetch (reduced footprint from 9MB to 1,5MB)
  • UPDATE: removed settings for scheduling relay notifications, this can now be set in the DoorBird smartphone app
2 Likes

my first post. New user here.
I have added the doorbird intercom, a very useful app. Thank you.
I guess you dont have a new d2101 to test with? These new doorbird units now have 2 relays to control, any chance of adding functionality to control the second relay also please?

Thanks.

1 Like

Also noticed that having Homey ask you if you want to open the door, doesn;t actually trigger the relay.
I can trigger this with a virtual device(lock) and a flow card, but not via a flow as attached. Any ideas?

I see the API has been updated to support multiple relays. I just need to figure out how to properly support this without being able to test it (I dont have a d2101 laying around :wink: )

Hmm, I’ll look into this as well.

And thank you for your donation, it’s very much appreciated … :pray:

no problem, new api is quite detailed, so shouldnt be an issue to update. Could you add support for the IO controller also, should be same configuration as multiple relays.
If you need access to one to test with, I can add you as a user with api access to our one in the showroom, it has a IO controller also.
If you can add the additional relay, i’ll even pop in another little donation :wink:

Sorry, Another thing if it could be modified is the device widget. Within the app the device widget of the Doorbird shows the motion sensor and “generic alarm”(not sure what this is). Can this be changed to allow direct use of the relays 1&2 instead. I have had to create a virtual device and Flow to trigger the Door relays. it would look much cleaner if it were part of the Doorbird Device Widget.
you can pm me on slack at #LiteAutomation
Cheers

I published a new release yesterday which allows you to select any of the registered relays for the DoorBird. Please have a look if this works for the io controllers as well.

This would require a pretty big change to the app and would require everyone to re-pair and recreate their flows. I need to think about that. I’ll probably wait until Homey 2.x and the new mobile app are available.

I understand. It just seems more suitable to have direct action with the relays rather than to see if the motion sensor has been activated. Meanwhile ill just set up virtual devices.
Should I remove and re-add the doorbird or just reapply the http URL notifications?

Re-adding will only be necessary once I as the relays as capability (which is required for them to show in the device card). There is also no need to re-apply the htpp notifications. You will need to update your flow however if you use the open door action card. But the update still needs to be approved by Athom. I will post the changelog here once published.

v2.2.4 - 2018-10-10

• NEW: extended the “open door” action card with a dropdown where you can select the desired relay (for DoorBird devices with more than 1 relay)
  • NEW: added a token with the relay name to the “door has been opened” trigger card allowing you to identify which relay has been triggered (for DoorBird devices with more than 1 relay, this requires you to re-add the notifications from the DoorBird Homey app settings page)
  • FIX: fixed the “ask to open door” action card

Hi, new to Doorbird and Homey here.

Installing Doorbird with a bit of help was not the hardest thing. The Doorbird connects to my phone and to the tablet when the button is pressed. All good.

The trickier part would be connecting to Homey: I add the IP Address, username and password but the ‘connect’ /'Verbind’button never gets visible. When I hit “Test Connection” nothing happens. This is the same behaviour I get when I try to set the DoorBird Notification HTTP URLS.

Any idea where I am already blocking?

Joris

Hmm, it seems a bug has made it into the pairing wizard and is preventing new DoorBirds to be added. I’ll look into it and release a fix. If no DoorBirds have been added to Homey you can not setup the notifications URLs either.

I’ll see if I can submit a fix this evening, then it’s up to Athom to approve the update.

1 Like

Hi, I have also the problem that I can’t connect the doorbird with homey. Doorbird is working fine with the DoorBird app. Sometimes I have the message Unknown error, are you sure you have entered the correct IP address and Homey is on the same network as the DoorBird? Please check your settings and try again. But most time nothing happens.

I have double checked the settings. I have this problem with the doorbird connected by WiFi and LAN. And connecting via the homey app and online. The doorbird runs on firmware version 000112. Connecting doorbird with http://xxx/bha-api/view.html works fine.

2 Likes

There is a fix for this pending in the app store and waiting for Athom to approve it. If you can’t wait you could install it from github using the command line install.

1 Like

Great! Looking forward to test it!