This is NOT the Athom Alexa Skill which allows Alexa to talk to Homey
With this app you can allow Homey to talk to Alexa, literally and figuratively.
You can create a flow which can send ‘text’ to any Alexa enabled device and ‘she’ will then repeat that text, including any tags then there is a quite bit more that can be done.
Alexa Devices :
- Report the “morning” speech
- Report the “weather”
- Report the “traffic”
- Report your “flash briefing”
- Change Device volume
- Play/Pause/Next/Previous/Shuffle Media.
Device Flows Actions :
- State : Say any text including tags on any Alexa enabled device (255 character limit)
- State : Announce any text including tags on any Alexa enabled device (255 character limit)
- State : Whisper any text including tags on any Alexa enabled device (255 character limit)
- Report : the “morning” on a Alexa enabled device
- Report : the “traffic” on a Alexa enabled device
- Report : the “flash briefing” on a Alexa enabled device
- Report : the “weather briefing” on a Alexa enabled device
- Calendar : Say your next appointment on any Alexa enabled device
- Calendar : Say today’s calendar on any Alexa enabled device
- Calendar : Say tomorrow’s calendar on any Alexa enabled device
- Fun : Have alexa sing a song on any Alexa enabled device
- Fun : Have alexa tell a story on any Alexa enabled device
- Fun : Have alexa tell a joke on any Alexa enabled device
- Fun : Have alexa tell a fun fact on any Alexa enabled device
- Homey : Have your amazon device say something in the (default) Homey voice.
- Voices : Have your amazon device say something in an one of 6 languages, 10 accents or 28 voices (male/female).
|Alpha||1.5.0||Work in progress|
- Echo Dot (Gen1)
- Echo Dot (Gen2)
- Echo Dot (Gen3)
- Echo Plus (Gen1)
- Echo Plus (Gen2)
- Echo Show (Gen1)
- Echo Show (Gen2)
- Echo Spot (Gen1)
- Echo (Gen1)
- Echo (Gen2)
- Fire HD10 (Gen7)
- Fire HD8 (Coming soon)
- Fire TV (Coming Soon)
- Ecobee 4
- Sonos One
- Sonos Beam
Please note that this app now only supports v2.
Fire TV (v2) is not supported based on current testing.
Currently only limited testing has been done upon ‘alexa mutli room music groups’ ie “everywhere” this may or may not be supported.
Installation flow is subject to change.
- After installing, to add a new Device, click + (add) upon the devices tab select “Amazon Alexa Device”.
- Likely a popup will open asking for you to log into your amazon alexa account.
- You will receive a message stating its now ok to close the popup, and a loading screen will show.
- The loading screen may stay for up to a minute, but once completed your alexa devices will be shown.
- Click on which devices you would like to add to Homey.
Possible Uses is hard as there is so much you could do with it. It is all about integrating Alexa into your smart home. (Rather than your smart home into alexa).
- Anything from Create a flow so that any time homey speaks - it also gets said upon all echo devices, so the entire house can hear it.
- Through to if it s a weekday before midday and your presence is detected in the bathroom, turn on the light and exhaust fan and play today weather on alexa.
- After which if when the vibration sensor is triggered on the stairs, play todays news flash briefing.
- When the contact sensor on the mail box is triggered create a reminder at 7pm that night to all devices “Please check the mail box”.
- When owntracks presence tracks me leaving the office and its after 5pm and alexa Text to speech say ‘Jamie has left the office, with current traffic he will be home in 50 minutes’ , then play ride of the Valkyries on all devices.
- When the bedroom light is turned off and everyone is in bed , if a perimeter window is not closed have alexa announce through the spot alarm clock that the ‘house is not secure’.
For me personally, I have only one Homey where has I have half a dozen alexa devices in most rooms and they can speak, let me know the traffic, weather, news, etc alarms or reminders, announcements or notices, whats on my calendar. And now I can have any of these features with in a flow.
Otherwise everything else is as advertised in the post, hit me up on Slack (@jamie) if you have any questions or issues. Items show in this post (and only this post) are confirmed to work.
- When adding multiple Dot (gen3) the app errors ‘unable to add as device already exists’
- Clicking stop when weather is being reported will not stop the weather on all devices. ie. Dot (gen2) - works for Echo Plus (gen1)
- Fire HD10 (gen7) Issues :
- Announcements are spoken, not announced.
- Whispering does not work
- Other voices are not spoken
- It has been reported that there may been a issue where this app is causing issues with the spoitfy app. (unconfirmed).