Homey Community Forum

An easier way to add an alarm system to Homey?

Currently it seems Homey is a bit lacking in the ability to integrate an existing security alarm system.

There is it seems no built-in alarm framework equivalent to Smartthings SHM but there is Heimdall which seems an excellent replacement for that. This leaves the second half of the requirement which is the means to actually talk to the alarm panel.

Here things are sadly it seems a mess. There does not seem to be much available in a complete working state - at least on the app store and nothing at all to work with Envisalink or Konnected modules.

Based on the solutions I have seen via github it seems that technically it is possible to construct such apps for Homey. However I have no great desire to write one from scratch myself.

I therefore wonder if the following approach would be a simpler one and immediately add support for a number of alarm panel brands and models?

Home Assistant a free open source smart home software server already has existing apps for a number of panels including Envisalink modules.

It is possible to link Home Assistant to other smart home platforms using MQTT and this includes linking to Homey. Therefore would a simpler approach be as follows?

1. Setup Home Assistant with an app to talk to your alarm panel e.g. Envisalink for DSC or Honeywell
  2. Setup MQTT on Home Assistant
  3. Setup MQTT on Homey
  4. Install Heimdall on Homey and have it use the alarm panel via the MQTT link
1 Like