Any workaround for Static IP address config for Homey WiFi?

:slight_smile: I have all hubs that you can buy! Honey is my favorite and most stable one, the only issue is my fiber internet which is 1Gps up/down so I needed a serous Security appliance who can have that output with all security enabled functions. The only option in this case is a corporate grade router which donā€™t have DHCP with static lease :wink: I have workarounds with PiHole as a DHCP and DNS, but having a static up at honey will make my setup easy and less disruptive.

Thanks,

I have two 5512x in ha (older one) and one 5506 in my office. Those are TNGā€™s. Grab any small router even small cisco isr router and voila you have dhcp reservation.

Like you said corporate or enterprise firewalls are not meant to be fully blown dhcp. On the other hand Homey simply doesnā€™t have static ip. I donā€™t think this will soon be on the priority.

Raspberry + Pihole could be the answerā€¦

I need static IP or at least, a way to assign a different gateway than the one that my DHCP-server gives. I have two gateways (2x isp:s) and want to force homey to connect to another gateway. I guess this isnt possible? I want all my clients to connect through the DHCP servers gateway but not homey because I want homey to connect to another ISP which is more stable and not used by others.

1 Like

Aad a Pi or a Synology NAS for DHCP.

But a Cisco Firework or also called ASA in the past, the lease duration IS configurable!

Different gateway can be done with DHCP option 33 for example. Works with windows xp and higher as client.

Should be possible with any good DHCP server (on Khggg Windows or probably most other OSā€™s) wth a Reservation an specific options for that reservation.
Can imagine that that is not an option on many SOHO routers.

I donā€™t understand why you have a 1Gb/s internet, professional grade equipment but no stand alone DHCP server.
But that might be meā€¦

3 Likes

On a cisco switch you can add a DHCP server: to flow this link https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipaddr_dhcp/configuration/xe-3se/3850/dhcp-xe-3se-3850-book/config-dhcp-server.html

And if you wanā€™t to have a windows based station to make a DHCP server active you could use TFTP32 download from this link: http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html

and yes, itā€™s sound that you could not config homey with a static ip-adress. But maybe in the futore they will make this happens in a change. Till then you must work with it.

It is the same as to get SSH to the Homey. If you should have that then you go dive deeper into the OS (linux?) then maybe you can set it well. But also the SSH is on the wish list

So everybody needs to work with the workaround and have a DHCP server live in his network.

Johan

Thatā€™s a feature I donā€™t ever see happening. Athom prefers Homey to be a walled garden.

Of course they do.
That prevents the competition from snooping around, leaves hackers more in the dark as to where the the weaknesses are, prevents support calls because someone messed up their Homey etc.

Thanks but Firepower 1010 donā€™t have a STATIC-DHCP option which I need so homey can get the same IP always.

s,

I disagree, SSH and static IP is something that we already have in the IT world, so they just need to implement.

ā€œFeatureā€ is something that needs to be developed from scratch!

S,

If you want to have a APT level security for your 1Gps up/down internet speed, than you need some real hardware like Cisco FirePower.

S,

So is DHCP.

3 Likes

Agreed, but when running such a setup with such demands you would also be using a real DHCP solution, preferably dedicated, redundant and fully featured. In such setup, the last thing you would do would be decentralising your configuration by manualy(!) configuring end devices.
(And why give homey a fixed address, Iā€™d suppose you would also make sure to have a rock solid name resolution system, canā€™t imagine you want it for port forwarding)

1 Like

Im not a true cisco fan but;

maybe you can create a seperate vlan for homey and have your dhcp server assign a single adress to it.
if the dhcp range for the vlan is x.x.x.250 - x.x.x.251 and no other devices will connect to this vlan, homey will always get .250.

1 Like

This is a good optionā€¦ I can try that. Thanks

S,

Yes, but homey development team didnā€™t reinvented the DHCP from scratch! they just implemented in the OS they are using underhood, so for some nonsense reason they decided to keep the STATIC ip and SSH disabled in their OS.

S,

as a last resort:

-connect homey to a wifi repeater
-Setup the wifi repeater to use a static ip adress.

Is there any reverse-engineering research report for Homey?

S,