Any workaround for Static IP address config for Homey WiFi?

So, why complain about Athom /Homey, while you could also complain to Cisco, which also doesn’t offer it in your case? They don’t have to reinvent the wheel either, they even implemented it several times already in their other products

You are mixing a home device with professional Cisco security devices, so I am not sure if I can explain to you why some professional grade devices don’t have all the critical services in 1 single box.

But you can ask how a esp8266 a 2$ device has a static IP and Homey 300.euro dont have it, I think you need to ask this :slightly_smiling_face:

S,

Why do you expect the manufacturer of a consumer product to build support for a network environment which isn’t complete due to running only half of the needed equipment in said network? As you say it:

Shouldn’t you be the one to add the extra professional grade device that offers your missing critical service when you decide to use such professional grade devices?
Homey is aimed at consumers who for 99% use the by the provider provided modem.(Which in fact is a combined modem/firewall/router/AP)
When you decide to use separate devices for these functionalities you can’t blame someone else when you leave out a critical functionality.

Ohh come one, this is just another non logical protective replay covering Homey’s design flaws, the product is incomplete missing the most vital functions for networking. I will not design my network based on the missing functionality of Homey!

S,

This is getting nowhere. Sell your homey if you don’t like it. Buy another pro grade device to support your great internet connection, but please stop with this discussion.

1 Like

:popcorn: :popcorn:

3 Likes

Here we go again, another Athom B.V share holder :wink: In advisor mode trying to give me advise to give up from a device which I paid and is not complete product…anything else you have to say regarding my equipment and that to do with them?

Ps. You can stop following the discussion if you are getting offended because I am asking something from a vendor.

S,

:popcorn: :tv: :popcorn: :smile:

Athom doesnt read the community forums :kissing_heart:, good luck

:popcorn: :joy:

bild

2 Likes

I actually now noticed that my Samsung smartphone doesn’t have ability to add static ip. Device is in range of 700eur. What in the world is Samsung thinking??? I had nokia 10 years ago and I was able to add static. O_o

2 Likes

52 comments

52! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And he is still making the same point

1 Like

No need, there is nice project from Czech Republic, called Turris, that is one big powerfull peace of HW, that can do what you need, and is capable of static IP binding, no need to use Cisco that is underoptioned and overpriced…

And yeah, i do not think Homey will ever have SSH access, and honesly, no need to, you should consider this as BLACKBOX solution, same like MAC or Windows, or you favourite CISCO :smiley:

Static IP should be added, but honesly, how many people will use this feature, except you? Maybe @Rocodamelshekima but only to make me look bad :smiley:

1 Like

Now i would never do that. Just saw somewhere u guys have the cheapest beer in tha world!!

1 Like

But it is still good beer!

Back to topic:
There are many Standards out there that are Industry wide available. If a manufacturer decided not to use it, why blame him? Can’t understand!

Tesla also does not provide SSH or Static IP for their cars, so god damn, they force me now to use other manufacturers, because i can’t get them to a fixed IP Address.

Sorry, but if i would use “some sort of professional” gear and a function i would like to have is not supported by the manufacturer, then i would check for other stuff i can do that with (or build myself a workaround), maybe also ask DIRECTLY at the manufacturer.
But sorry, don’t blame / attack the Community that such features are not available.

Dont get me wrong. i too would love to see static IP options in Homey.

I would love to get me some network seperation.
Right now i connected homey to a seperate vlan like i suggested to Senad.
Security by obscurity is not a design… it is a flaw.

I would encourage everyone to seperate their smart devices from their endpoints and setup some real access policies between the networks.

I do agree on you there: it would be the best.
However I do think there are some other things te be considered before you’d go in VLAN’ing you home network (which isn’t an option for the most of us!)

How is anyone’s physical security? Is it hard enough to get in home so there is no access to your equipment?

Are all of your Z-wave devices connected by Z-Wave S2 security?

“millions of smart devices still support the older insecure version of pairing process, called S0 framework, for compatibility”

Are all your wireless devices firmware updated to prevent the WPA2 KRACK attach from happening to one of your devices?
https://www.krackattacks.com/

Just to give a few examples :wink:

Next ‘best’ thing would be to create an guest wifi network (which is fairly easy these days) and change the wifi password for your current wifi and have al wifi users, who have nothing to do with your domotica devices, connect to the guest wifi network.

“My home network is protected by professional-grade router hardware!”

:wink:

2 Likes

Hello Senad,

I cut and past some note’s:

But why do you use on your

that is the smallest version with only a true put off 640Mbps (FPR-1010 - 650 Mbps - 650 Mbps 8 x RJ45 info Cisco site)

Senad I believe in your point but sometimes you must make a workaround, you can’t blame companies like Homey or Cisco. You could have read the spec’s before, it was mentioned. And also on this board you could find this info.

But the members of this board’s did give you a lot off work arounds , the best i have read was (by a AP-router) build a small subnet and let run your homey in that net. (but first check off the AP-router got DHCP and you can made a reservation for homey to get always the same ip address.

Make your decision, and go playing with your homey, and make some nice flow’s so your digital live in your will be nicer. and you can say powered by Homey and Cisco :slight_smile:
Johan

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight, but I am not sure why we are discussing the other equipment I have which is my network design based my needs! We need to discuss how a esp8266 a 2$ device has a static IP and Homey NOT.

Btw, the specs have always the minimum speeds, in reality here is a picture :slight_smile: