Homey Community Forum

[APP] Arlo - Security Camera

Hey,

Best to share your flow so we can get a full understanding of what you are doing.

But I think I get it, its a common misunderstanding about how the Arlo Cameras work I think is causing your issue.

When you ask arlo for its latest picture, it does just that - sends you the last picture it has cached.

So we first need to ask the camera to update its picture, notice how I said … I ask it. It will then tell me when it has finally updated it. So there are lots of little actions required - Think about it like when you order something online. First you buy it, then they confirm it … then they send it … then it arrives finally you get to open it and see the picture you ordered.

So its a two step/flow process …

1. You need a flow to ask to refresh the picture. Use the flow action of the camera “request new snapshot”.
  2. You need a flow which triggers when you receive the new picture (snapshot) Use the flow trigger/when on the camera “When new snapshot become available”.

I hope this solves your problem.

Thanks Jamie for commenting on my post.

So I couldnt for the life of me find any way to ask for a Snapshot, only the Notify when a new snapshot is available. Noticed a bit up in this forum that there are test versions out, so I think I managed to grab the latest available (ver 2.4.301 ) and now I got the ability to do a Request.

So setup a basic two step flow, first flow when motion is detected - > request new snapshot from that camera. And the second flow, once a snapshot is available, send snapshot picture over, for example telegram. This still doesnt work for me. When I “test” I get green check marks on the first flow but then nothing. If I test the second flow, I get green check mark and a picture is received on telegram as requested. But it’s not working on its own, I see that I have movement, but nothing triggers.

Can you confirm I have the latest working version ( 2.4.301)?
Or am I still misunderstanding the logic here?

The only thing I can think of is that your already recording … you can’t ask a camera to take a photo if it’s already recording a video …

I’ll try and see if I can get similar flows working

1 Like

I received this email earlier in the week

Two-step verification is an added layer of account security to verify that it’s really you, even if someone knows your password. By the end of the year, Arlo will require all users to enable two-step verification. We strongly encourage you to enable this feature now for added security.

Once enabled, Arlo will authenticate your identity with a security code delivered by text message or email to a trusted device. Once authenticated, Arlo will verify your identity anytime you sign in with a new device, to prevent unauthorised users from accessing your information.

Just a reminder, once “2FA” becomes required, this app will stop working. Unless Arlo implement a proper industry standard 2FA, which they have no intention of doing so - this app can not ever be updated to work.

I’m already looking for another system, because by the end of the year I will replace all my arlo cameras unless they change their mind and not force people to this.

The 2FA we as nest/Google users also got shuved up our troughts. After this your smarthouse takes one step back. A pitty to see that all these big compagnies makes smart home intergrations a pain in the ass

Hi,
Now when two step verification is activated (30/9)
Is the app working? I can’t install the app and test because it’s incompatible with homey v5.

Hello,

I would also like to know if the 2-step verification can be solved. On jeedom apparently it works.

2 Likes

I still have no enabled 2FA, and surprisingly the app is still working!

But no, once you enable 2FA, only solution will be if Arlo changes the way they have implemented it. Highly unlikely as they have had 12 months to do so.

I have 2FA active and the app so far stil works. Had to verify it the first time and then np after. Been running for 2 ish months now.

// Ted

Sadly the app don’t seems to work on homey v5 so I can try that.

Easy to fix a v5 compatible arlo app?

Can you please let me know what you mean by “not working”.

With the changes to 2FA, I won’t be changing / testing / adding new features as I expect that removing and re-adding and testing as I have no way to test with out putting my homey automation at risk of not working.

Thanks

This is what I get when I try to install the arlo app