[App][Cloud&Pro] Twinkly

The Homey app generates a token to communicate with Twinkly. I can image that this could interfere with using Twinkly through the app at the same time. You could try changing the effect with the Homey app making sure you have close/killed the smartphone app to avoid any conflicts. I have not experienced this myself though and you are the first to report this. Reading you have other issues with effects as well that are not related to the Homey app my guess is that there might be something wrong with your Twinkly lights.

Hmm, so yours donā€™t ā€œrestartā€ the animations after a while?
The glow effect restarts every 15 seconds, the Rainbow effect seems to restart every 2 minutes or so.
Itā€™s smooth all the time between, but doesnā€™t loop smoothly, instead kinda ā€œresetsā€ the animation. Like a poorly made loop GIF.

That is the twinkly module itself, seen the same behaviour on my twinkly, even before this app existed (Christmas 2017).
Animations arenā€™t long enough/calibrated properly for some lengths of strings.

Like Caseda mentions, I see this behavior as well but that is just how Twinkly works. The loops are not ā€œseamlessā€. If that is what you meant then itā€™s not an issue. I still canā€™t explain the issues you have with the Twinkly Homey app though.

It lights up completely white for 0.1 seconds after a few minutes, right? I have exactly that behaviour and didnā€™t connect it to Homey yet. Itā€™s annoying but I think itā€™s indeed a bug in Twinkly.

Exactly. My 175 strings act like that. I feel that is a flaw with the product.

Yes, I got this error everytime I used the app while it was added to Homey:

Hi! Iā€™m curious if this app still works ok? Itā€™s almost chrismas again, and Iā€™m looking for new Christmas lights. Itā€™s extra cool if the lights can be controlled with Homey.

Hi
I use it with my Twinkly String, however it can only turn it on/off and not changing effects. I see that Twinkly has come with new versions (Generation II) but donā€™t know if this is supported by the current app version.

1 Like

When I have some time Iā€™ll check it with my first generation Twinkly. Last time I checked also the effects worked so I donā€™t know what changed over the year. I also donā€™t know if the second generation is supported. Somebody would have to test that.

[EDIT]
I was mistaken, changing effects has never been implemented. Turning on and off will probably work for generation 2 Twinkly as well. Not sure if I will be able to add more functionality.

2 Likes

Just got some gen 1 for cheap, and Iā€™m loving them! On/off with Homey works fine, but of course more options would be awesome :+1:t2:

https://xled-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

v1.1.0 - 2019-11-18

• Autodiscovery has been added to make pairing easier
  • An action card for setting your Twinkly lights to a solid color has been added as extra functionality
1 Like

I need help I cant get mine to workā€¦Iā€™m about to pull my hair out

Do you know how to get these lights to work

To work with Homey? Or at all?

Just bought Twinkly Stripes Gen 2 today and installed the updated homey twinkly app. On/Off works as expected in homey, however as soon as Iā€™m adding the stripes to homey, I canā€™t really configure them anymore over the original Twinkly app (Iā€™m getting errors as soon as Iā€™m trying to change scenes). Looks like the Homey Twinkly app blocks/disturbs somehow the communicationā€¦ After removing them from homey they are reacting again via the original app. Any idea why this happens?

Yes, the Homey Twinkly app uses an unofficial method for communicating with the Twinkly devices (there is no official API). To be able to do o it generates an access token. Sometimes having two devices (smartphone and Homey) talk to a Twinkly device with different access tokens can cause issues. That is not something I can fix.

1 Like

perfect, thank you four your explanation. make sense.

You can change the poll interval in the settings, default is 5 sec so the communication with the original app might get interrupted each 5 sec. @Phuturist this is something which canā€™t be fixed, right? I mean you mentioned it canā€™t be controlled by both Homey and original app at once but what about just checking status only? Eg. In my case even preview of new theme get stalled immediately when Homey poll the status. Currently I changed the poll to 50sec, yet I wonder.

Polling for status also means it interferes with other devices trying to access Twinkly. Every request made by the Homey app (including polling) could break other sessions, for instance with the official Twinkly app.

1 Like