[APP] Fibaro - Your home is your castle (by Athom)

sad… I know this does not change the func and it still works but seeing this s2 with aeotec is nice plus fibaro is not cheap.

I hope somehow 1 time we can update them else next time it will be aeotec

It is theoretically possible to modify devices of the classes Z-Wave Plus, Gen5 and Gen7 to S2 via a firmware update. However, the development of the firmware would have to be done by the device manufacturers and not by Athom.
Another point is that firmware updates of devices can sometimes only be done with the manufacturer’s own gateaways, as it is the case with Fibaro for example. So you would either have to buy a gateway from the manufacturer or send the devices to the manufacturer or distributor to get a firmware update installed.

Probably no manufacturer will invest much time and money for “old” devices. It is more realistic that new products are produced with Gen7 chip and S2.

thanks, you would expect Z-Wave Plus devices are not that old, it should supports this

but using their gateway make sense , but wow 350 euro. I guess now homey supports s2 and fibaro is promoted by athom, there need to be some way to update them with homey or some other cheap way. The gateway device costs more than homey. plus like s2 , security is always important, no one is left behind.
Else we need to very careful what devices we use and has a future else it is better to use fibaro instead.

I have a Fibaro HC2, so you could send me your Fibaro devices and I would update them for free.
But as I said before, I would be surprised if Fibaro or even other manufacturers would provide S2 firmware updates.
By the way, devices from some other manufacturers can be updated with a simple Z-Wave USB stick. So not every manufacturer is as strict as Fibaro.

Security is always important, that’s right. But I don’t think that households with Z-Wave devices are in the first place of criminals.
The situation may be different for devices that are connected via the Internet to the SmartHome, such as Amazon Alexa, Google Nest, other services or Homey itself.

The expansion of the S2 security standard will be a continuous process. New devices with S2 support will be produced, old devices without S2 support will be replaced by users one by one. Market economy.

1 Like

Please tell me which dangerous threat you think you now have without S2?

I am not so interesting to hack but still. What is the Difference Between S0 and S2 Z-Wave Protocols? - Alarm Grid

but more interesting is that it uses less battery.

I guess it depends how easy it is to do a ddos , if there is some standard prog which detects z-wave and can flood the system so you break in.

It’s far more easier to hijack a Wifi connected smart device through open ports/unchanged login credentials/… and to take control of your entire network than to take control of a Z-Wave device which can’t access anything else besides it’s associated devices (and even those are included secured).
It’s good Athom added the S2 functionality so now we have the chance to add more/other devices…

1 Like

I re-included one wallplug v2 and it shows as “Secure (x)” while the non-re-included wallplug v2 shows as “Secure (S0)”

It doesnt make sense

It doesn’t make sense, but it’s correct.

The WP with NodeID 123 was included with Homey Firmware < v7.
The WP with NodeID 127 was included with Homey Firmware v7.

Since v7 there are 2 new tags regarding the security standard:
S2 devices will always include as S2, unless specified differently by the developer (new tag).
S0 device will always include as unsecure unless specified differently by the developer (new tag).

So if you exclude NodeID 123 and include it again, it will be included as “Secure (x)”.

1 Like

Just to expand on that more, there are 4 “options”
Secure (x) (also known as unsecure)
Secure (S0)
Secure (S2, Unauthenticated)
Secure (S2, Authenticated)

4 Likes

Just for info: The new test version 3.0.19 of the Fibaro app is buggy.

After installing the test version the Walli Switch doesn’t work anymore.

It’s possible to go back on v3.0.14.

The hacking equipment for z-wave unsecured version (x) with or without pincode (secure is extremely hard to hack, S2 impossible) costs around 1500€ and a laptop with particular chipset . It takes around 2,5 - 4 hours to hack it, per device that is. Sooo… unlikely that a regular person is able to do this.
It’s easier to lockpick or throw a brick through a window and even that idea is strange for a regular burglar.
As you can see making a fine working fibaro app is allready apparantly a huge challenge.

2 Likes

Fibaro Button and Battery:

Normaly i can see the Battery level of my zwave devices, not for the Fibaro Button. Is that correct or do i miss something?

Fibaro Walli Dimmer - can I Switch off the soft-on and soft-off?

Advanced parameter: 174,1,0

2 Likes

thank you.
Do you know if is also possible to use the walli dimmer as a one-way-switch = on/off is not on different clicks, but only on one side?

You mean you’d also like the light to go on when you press the second button? I don’t think that’s possible… Or am I misunderstanding your question?

What do you need? A dimmer or a switch?
Because the Walli Dimmer can also be used as a “normal switch” without dimming function. Do you mean this?

I don’t own a Walli Dimmer, but I guess if the dimmer is configured as “normal switch” both buttons will switch on/off the light.

i already switched off the dimming functionality by setting 172 to off.
so i use it as a switch only (just bought the dimmer for future readyness).
there is a switch type setting, which is already set to “momentary”, but i do not find a setting to only use one of the two sides of the switch.

it’s only minor :slight_smile: