[APP] Philips Hue - Transform the way you experience light

I guess I misunderstood, but now I assume that you’re trying to generate a diagnostics report when Homey is already is a “broken” state? spawn ENOMEM means that Homey is unable to start new processes (including generating a diagnostics report) because of a memory shortage, so that’s to be expected.

If the issue happens every 3 months or so, you may consider doing what a lot of Homey users are/were doing already: automatically rebooting Homey every night/week.

We already established that it’s the “Homey” process that is taking up all the memory, so it is leaking resources. FWIW, Homey’s core leaking memory may be caused by a specific app, but it’s not the app’s fault that the core is leaking memory because the app cannot do anything to mitigate that situation (just like the Beacon app is triggering a memory leak, but that’s because the internal Bluetooth API’s are/were leaking).

That’s why I suggested to try and disable apps in turn to see if there’s a specific app that’s causing the core to leak memory.

And indeed, just because the Hue app is throwing ENOMEM errors doesn’t mean that the Hue app is the culprit; there’s just no more memory available, and any app will have the same problem.

Thanks @robertklep , @Edwin_D for your ideas

This is what my app memory looks like over the last 14 days:

It crashed / hung on the night of Apr 7th. It looks to me as though most of the apps are increasing in their use slightly but when the crash/hang happened all of them went up? Is that what you see too? I’m not sure why they would all request/require more memory all at once

Yes, that’s what I’m seeing too. It might be that each app is temporarily storing/queueing information because there’s something wrong with the Homey core process.

It might be worthwhile to send this data to Athom (support@athom.com) as well. Perhaps they can infer from these charts what might be happening.

If Homey was failing at the last peak, maybe all apps were failing due to memory issues and making it worse in the process, not cleaning up after an exception or something.

As far as I can tell Sensative and Hue show the most memory growth. Nest seems to have had a more memory hungry update but quite stable still.

Is it an idea to create flows reset those apps both every night to see if it will hold then?

This is what the Beacon app looked like for me. Way more pronounced than what you see, but you might witness the sawtooth on each time you reset an app too.

That’s a good idea - it seemed to me to be quite a significant thing if your OS/System clogs itself up to the extent that you can’t even generate a crash log / diagnostics report to work out why. But Having sent the charts and info, they didn’t offer any insight, just suggested to reboot once per month.

I’ll try that too

Anybody got some issues with displaying the right colours using gledopto hardware? When I turn on the gledopto it will turn to standard white while it was set to warm white.

When controlling the gledopto via the Hue app it has no problems at all. Got any ideas?

I got big problems with this app now. It just keeps crashing and leaving my homey without only unavailable hue devices?

I tried restarting both the app and homey, but still the same. Anyone have and idea or solution?

After the update of hue, it seems the app looses connection all the time somehow… Anyone else?
It is missing a capability; listening onoff

I got no reason disconnected hue hdmi sync box, after removing and try readd, its not anymore visible to add, restart app, rest connection sync box with hue bridge also not help

hi. is anyone else having issues with the Hue app since upgrading to the latest Homey firmware?

Once a day all my hue bulbs become unresponsive via Homey and i can’t seem to get them back online. I try restarting my router, Homey, the hue bridge and nothing specific seems to work - eventually some combination of these things fixes it but i’m at my wits end as to what going on. The bulbs work fine when controlled via the Hue app during these “downtimes” and my Home Assistant-controlled bulbs all are fine.

Coincidentally, this also coincides with two Wyze cameras being offline during this period. I’m wondering if Homey is somehow gunking up my wifi channel trying to connect to the Hue bridge.

Some times ago i noticed strange effects after an update of the philips hue app in Homey. After turning on lights some lights turned off after a few minutes. Or or it took minutes before they turned on. All happend randomly.
I decided to remove the Philips hue app and build a nodejs service on an old macmini. The same i did in the past with Sonos. That’s working extremely well. Much more flexible.

Yeah, honestly, it’s a bit of a shitshow. Not only are all my Hue bulbs unresponsive but Homey drops in and out of Wifi so it’s impossible to troubleshoot anything. I can’t for the life of me understand why there’s no ethernet port on the thing, if only for stability to the local network.

After futzing around with it for yet another hour today, I could see that the Hue app was taking up over 50MB of Homey’s RAM which doesn’t seem normal. I deleted a few apps that I’m no longer using after having half-migrated to Home Assistant and now things seem to have stabilised a bit. Bulbs are back and Hue app is only using 10-15MB.

I keep meaning to move most of everything over to Home Assistant full (except a few things like the Hyundai homey app which works brilliantly) but it would be a hell of a job, and the MQTT client/hub on Homey made it so easy to pass everything over without having to start from scratch.

I dunno, if this issue with Hue keeps happening I may just bite the bullet and take a day to move everything over.

2 Likes

Great job, I’am planning to do the same. The macmini is 10 years old, but more than capable enough to run Home Assistant.

Since update to 7.15 RC, hue’s response seems to be slower. Many Hue devices connected via Hue bridges. Problem seems to be mainly with switches and restarting the Hue app will fix temporarily.

1 Like

Hi,
does anyone know how to activate automations on the hue bridge? Tried it by webhook flowcard , but not sure what I am doing :crazy_face::face_with_monocle:
Can‘t find them in the clip editor
Thx Thilo

What u wanna achieve with activate an automation?

Put my presense mimiking fron Hue Labs to Automation. Now I want to switch that on and off by Homey, using Geofencing.
I can make a webhook, but I can t find the reference of the automation (using the clip editor)
Thilo

That sounds more like this topic.