[App][Pro] Plex Media Server Playlist Caster

very good APP … many thanks for that !
only one question : is it possible to stream to a group of speakers? (group made by the APP < group >) I know that I can first make a group also in Google Home and then ad the group by APP Google Chromecast but I would prefer the cast to a group made by the APP < group >

Thanks a bunch.

I don’t think this will work properly with the < Group > app. This app does not rely on any devices paired to Homey. It uses it’s own controller instances to communicate with the cast devices, independed of any other app or device.
Casting to a Home Speaker Group, defined in the Google Home app, works flawlessly. Also, that way you get synchronized playback for multiroom audio. The latter can be accomplished only, if using the Google Home Speaker Groups.

Hello everyone,

SDKv3 update of the app is in the process of being released.
Whilst there should not be any issues, I cannot 100% guarantee that the pairing process is fully perfect.
If anyone encounters issues pairing a Plex server, please let me know immediately.

Stay safe!

1 Like

just installed this app to test it out.
Fresh plex server install on windows system to test it with homey.

Filled in the plex account settings, server is seen with a local connection (ignored is off).
Now when i try to add the device i get a error “Cannot read property ‘name’ of undefined”

already tried to restart and reinstall the app.

Hi @James_Woudenberg,
thank you so much for reporting this as I could not test this part when upgrading to SDKv3.
It must certainly be a bug introduced by the migration.
Am dearly sorry for the inconvinience caused by this. I will try to get a fix published as soon as possible.

Oh and could you also generate a diag report for the app.
That goes by menu “More…” → “Apps” → “Plex Media…” → little gear icon → Generate diagnostics report
Just drop your forum name in the message box.

1 Like

@James_Woudenberg Alright. I think I have tackled the problem. v2.0.2 is rolling out just now. Please try again when you received the update and let me know if that did the trick.

Solved, thanks ! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Hi @Shakesbeard.
When trying to authenticate to plex.tv I get the following error:
“Error: invalid json response body at https://plex.tv/users/sign_in.json reason: Unexpected end of JSON input”
Diagnostic report id: 9479baac-57b5-4ebd-a436-d53d80bdb960

Hi @Patric_Hedin,
I have not seen such behaviour, yet. Do you maybe have 2FA activated?
If yes, please disable it whilst pairing/authenticating with Homey. You can safely reenabled it afterwards without losing access.
Let me know if that was the issue.

Hi again.
Nope, 2FA is disabled…

I have the same issue as Patrick, 2FA is disabled. Sent diagnostics report d0362bc0-5bb5-47ba-b73b-6d9152243f7c. I’ve not used Plex via homey for a while, so it might have been broken for a l longer time already.

Restart of Homey app Plex Media Server Playlist Caster did not solve the problem (diagnostics report was created after that restart). Now installing Plex update 1.31 (diagnostics report was with version 1.30). I have Plex installed on my Synology (LAN).

When debugging from Chrome on my laptop, I get the same invalid json error. The console shows that the POST request to https://.connect.athom.com/api/app/com.sdn.plextv-playlist-caster/authPlex results in a HTTP 400 response. The payload sent to this URL does seem to be correct ({user: “–removed–”, pass: “–removed–”}).

I will try to reproduce this. Will take until next week though due to my current workload.

Hi again,

the app is working fine. But something I noticed here:

I am not building this URL myself. This is constructed by Homey itself. So it would actually seem that something with you Homey is not alright here. I think that your Homey’s ID should actually appear before the .connect in this URL but it is missing.

The only other thing I could imagine is you having a strange symbol character used in your username or password which could possible jinxx the api chain at some point. But that is just a wild guess.

I tested with Plex v1.30 here.
Adding new plex server device works and the settings page manual re-authentication works too.

Thanks @Shakesbeard for looking into this. Sorry, I did forget to place a placeholder in the url above. It does actually contain my Homey ID before the “.connect”.

I’ve investigated the symbols in my password as it indeed has a couple of symbols that might cause problems. It seems that the percentage ‘%’ symbol caused the problem. I tried with at ‘@’ and underscore ‘_’ symbols, but those do not cause this problem.

So, for anyone (@Patric_Hedin) having this “Error: invalid json response body at https://plex.tv/users/sign_in.json reason: Unexpected end of JSON input” problem, please remove the percentage symbol from your password. There might be other symbols that cause this problem.

So, after updating my password in Plex I was able to authenticate again in the app settings. And the Plex Media Server Playlist Caster Device received updates again for my playlists.

2 Likes

Thank you very much tlangelaar ! I actually had a % in my password :stuck_out_tongue:

(Excuse my English please :slight_smile: )
Now I have an other problem :confused: I tried a simple flow. So just a start button and the card to run a playlist. When i try to write my playlist, i have this next error message :

No server reachable! Is your Plex account/server configured properly?

After some research :

• I created a playlist in my Plex by creating a new “Watchlist”
  • I created a rss link in my Plex administration
  • I checked this rss link online to be sure it’s ok
  • I installed the “Plex Media Server Playlist Caster” on my Homey pro
  • I tried enter again my login/password id Homey app

Does anybody had this problem ? And the solution ^^

Hi @Nicolas_SCHUB,

This question might sound stupid but did you actually add your plex server as a device in Homey?
Either you missed that step and just authenticated through the app settings only. (which is meant for account repairing purposes sort of).

Or your Homey indeed cannot find a route to your server. If your server is on your local network it should easily connect to it. If it is connected over the internet then the remote access in your plex server needs to be set up properly.

It’s actually a good question ^^ To be sure, i deleted all Plex apps and install them again.

So, I try to add new devices and with the “Plex” keyword, i have 3 apps:

• Plex → installed
  • Plex Notifier → installed
  • Plex Media Server Playlist Caster → witch make some issues

I can’t install the last one by just “add a new device” i need to install the app in the list app. Now you told me i don’t know where to write my url Plex path. Do you know where can i set this up ?

It’s actually ok, my problem was about when i changed my password because of the “%” character

Hello everybody !

I have a last question about this app. I like to watch my videos in VO with sub.
When i run my playlist from Plex, my episodes are launch in VO and sub as I had set them.

When i run my workflow from Homey, it’s in French. It’s even not the default langages for all my videos, i set them in english.

Can anybody help me ?

Schubby