[APP][Pro] Power by the Hour: Insights per hour, day, month and year

Correct :sunglasses:

1 Like

Is there something I can do to make this work? Using logic or something to create a ascending value?

You could ask @Diederik to create an option in his app to make the meter_power not reset every day.

Thnx for the reply… I will do that. Maybe @Diederik can add an extra ascending value or an option for not resetting the value.

That will not work with PowerByTheHour. It needs power_meter as capability. So I think making the daily reset an option is the easiest solution.

Would it be possible to use multiple power_meter capabilities? I believe the SDK supports using the same capability multiple times in the same driver by adding a modifier, like power_meter.lifetime.

The Solar Panels app currently just takes the daily power meter from the inverter manufacturer’s API, so it is not intentionally resetting the value every day. Some manufacturers might also support a lifetime energy value which could be implemented this way.

1 Like

Yes that is possible, but the standard for meter_power is that that is the cumulative one.

If you would e.g. a add meter_power.total you would be deviating from how meter_power is normally used (not forbidden to do that off course, but I would have to adapt my PowerByTheHour app specially to handle your apps output.)

If you are saying that the behaviour of your meter_power depends on the individual brand of inverter, then I would suggest you make it user selectable on the device level.

It would be very nice if both our apps work together well :hugs:

2 Likes

Is it? I would say the capability is only dictated to a specific type of measurement and unit.

My app uses meter_power in a consistent way, that is, the daily energy meter value.

I will look into adding multiple meter_power capabilities, showing both daily and total energy production. The daily energy production is important for many users because they set up notifications with that value every night.

2 Likes

Sound good! We’ll find a way to make it work one way or another :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Nice to see the community work together. For now I use the value from the Solarpanels app for my daily output and bought a separate kWh meter with S0 output. An Arduino based microcontroller counts the pulses and sends the ascending kWh value to a virtual device on Homey. I use this devices for the Power by the Hour app.

Any ETA for this?

great app. But Bug in display of meter?
No update on meter but in details the correct value (solar panels): 13,9 ( correct value) vs 3 (false value) kWh.

(After restart or crash it resets the day value?
I restarted the app)

The 3 kWh is what was produced today (or since device pair if you paired today). The 13.9 is the cumulative kWh. But judging by the low cumulative number I suspect you are using the solar panel app. If so, please read the entire thread on this subject.

1 Like

Yes, you are correct about the solar panel app. Thanks for pointing out to previous messages. Hopefully the app can be updated to cumelate the values.

I created a test version in which you can select if the source device resets its meter to 0 every day. The Power By The Hour app will then try to make a cumulative reading by itself. This should work for the Solar Panels app.

@Diederik @VanGilles @Wolly_a Can you please test if it works correctly. I cannot test it myself since I cannot use the Solar Panels app:

Thanks for the update! :slight_smile: I’ll test it right now and will report you tomorrow

Hey Master! :wink: I think you fixed it!:slight_smile: thanks.

Yesterday late night sun down, inverter down:

Solar panel app:

Power by the hour app:

Today new day and inverter up and running again:

1 Like

That is great to hear! But actually I’m surprised because it only works if the solar panel app resets to zero EXACTLY at midnight :rofl:

Do the Insights look o.k. around midnight?

Solar panel app insights:

As you can see, when the sun is down you see a ‘flatliner’ around 21.30 till the sun comes up again. So I think the value remains ‘0.00’ @ 0.00h.

and what about the Insights from Power by the Hour?