[APP][Pro] Beacon - Detect your presence with BLE beacons

I’ve tried to get some insights for the memory a long time ago. But couldn’t found something that is related to the app directly. In the app-profiling there isn’t a memory leak visiable.

I think it has something to do with the Homey core that keeps track of the BLE device somehow.

I did not found any memory leak.

I really appreciate that and I will donate to you. Its just that people with full memory such as the above example might spend substantial time as well to investigate vague problems or buy a new Homey Pro when a dayly restart can mitigate this.

1 Like

I wasn’t referring to you. But i get a lot of BS through email and reviews.

I understand. Enjoy the donation, its well deserved Nd hope it helps a little. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your support

I am very aware and appreciate it a lot. I hope I didn’t say anything wrong, I just tried to point out that I also do not believe the problem is with the app :-). Working like a charm for years already over here.

1 Like

Bought you a beer too

1 Like

Thanks for your support!

1 Like

Hi I tried connect
Gigaset Keeper, tile mate, tile urban, tile pro 2018 and frequently used AliExpress beacons.
They DO NOT work.
How is that possible?

Homey support won’t support or help at all.

Athom won’t help you since the app is developed by some one else, most likely in their spare time, free of charge. I do not know about all the devices, but Tile pro 2018 should work, I haver two. But wat you need to know is that if the tile is connected to a phone it will go to sleep and not communicate with other devices. So make sure you disable the tile in the app, uninstall the app and/or turn off bluetooth if you have the tile app installed.
Furthermore, this thread is full of other tips that might help, such as remove the battery for a short period. It took me some time to get the tiles to connect too.

2 Likes

I had same issue with Tile pro 2018. Disconnect from app helped. I also used phone Bluetooth to check if tile was visible or not(pair Bluetooth and see if the tile appears). If not visible in phone than Homey will not find them as well.

Tile [type x] 2020 don’t work bc of changes @Tile side. The 2018 and earlier versions should work with Homey.
I got 4 el-cheapo Ali beacons working (€ 3,68 https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMd5F2B)
I first replaced the batteries, bc they weren’t isolated and almost empty.
The first two connected like it should, the latter 2 didn’t. Reboots of Beacon App on Homey, Homey itself, & my phone got me finally to add the last two. But hey, it works :wink: :wink:

hello! i just purchased a Tile Mate and am looking to use it for presence detection for my dog. I’ve managed to pair the Tile to Homey using this app without any problem. However, after a couple of minutes, I guess the tile goes into standby (?) and Homey reports “No” to Detected.

Is this normal behaviour? My plan is to attach the Tile to my dog’s carry bag (he’s very small!) which only ever leaves the house with the dog. Can anyone suggest whether Homey’s inability to detect the Tile will cause issues if I set up a flow designed to do the following:

When: No one is home
And: Tile is outside of range
Then: Arm security system

Thanks!

Can you try the follow:

1. Remove all beacons from the app.
  2. Remove the app from Homey.
  3. PTP of Homey and wait 10 minutes.
  4. Install tile app on mobile and attach the beacons to it.
  5. Test if the beacons respond from the mobile tile app.
  6. Disable BL on your phone.
  7. Install ‘beacons app’.
  8. Pair your beacons again in Homey. (They are inside range)
  9. Wait 1 minute.
  10. Enable BLE on your phone (They connect to the beacons, and they are not discoverable anymore)
  11. Wait 1 minute.
  12. The beacons are outside ran? Go further.
  13. Disable BLE on your phone.
  14. The beacons are inside ran? Try 10 again.

If either 12 or 14 failed, send a log to the developer and note the time the action failed.

Oh, i think I managed to get it working following these instructions… will test throughout the day and report back.

just wanted to say that I have been out of the house twice today with the dog in his bag (a rare occurrence during these corona-times) and the Tile has reported correctly each time, both when leaving + returning. Thanks for such a great app!

Edit: Hi, me again! Is it necessary to hide Tile/delete the app from my phone? What is the purpose of this step?

I actually have done neither and the Tile seems to be reporting correctly to Homey. I tested hiding the Tile and it proceeded to hop in and out of range once or twice an hour - but only for a few seconds. Unhidden, it stays connected permanently when it’s within range of homey, and disconnects (as it should) when outside of range

Just really want to understand what are the downsides of leaving the Tile app installed :slight_smile:

Btw, anyone know how to tell the difference between a 2018 and 2020 Tile? Say, if I were looking to pick one up second hand…

2 Likes

Will today’s update to homey V6.0.0 make it (after an app update) possible to use tile pro and other tiles as well? In the discorery page, I found way more devices than I could ever find with this app.

2 Likes

I only implement public discoverable beacons. Beacons that are closed and ibeacons and eddystones are not supported for now.

The new firmware is definitely better and faster than before and have more opportunities because of the notification functionality.

I do not have the time to implement that features on a short term. There is currently an PR from another developer that support ibeacons and eddystones. Maybe there are some developers out there that want to collaborate to support above features.

I am willing to make some time to do the review and release if need be.

2 Likes

My guess you can discover that after pairing with the tile app on your phone. So letting 2nd hand tiles ship to you isn’t a good idea.

Me too, and look, Flower care pins can also be used as beacons🤪

1 Like

They are. Stick one in you pocked and you will see :grimacing: