[APP][Pro][Deprecated] Arlo - Security Camera

hey! @Jamie

I saw you’ve taken down the app from the official is it possible to install it from a GitHub repo instead? I saw some people asking to coop with you on this app and help out. I think we all would benefit from it becoming open source instead of being entirely inaccessible. Maybe the 2FA will be solved at some time and the app can make it back to the official store.

4 Likes

Hey Gurl, if the Arlo ever allow removal of 2FA, or more likely - the ability to ‘approve devices’ (Like most companies ie. Ring) then I will re-add the app, and either add support or openSource the code.

Until then, I have no plans to open the repo up.

2 Likes

Hi Jamie and everyone else,

It appears this has been solved and updated by GitHub - twrecked/hass-aarlo: Asynchronous Arlo Component for Home Assistant

Does this help?

Sorry, as previously discussed this is not a solve. Instead to logs into your email address and reads your email to authentication your arlo.

So sad !
I just got myself a Homey Pro and especially hoped to connect my Arlo system to it.
Crossing all 20 fingers that maybe you’ll restart the project :slight_smile:

I doubt it, it took weeks of effort to backwards engineer how arlo works. And I am happy to figure that out then write, test and supply for free the app I created.

This is a hobby for me, something I did for me and then decided to share it with the community, the app worked exactly as advertised - for 6 or so devices, if you had 2FA off.

BUT the level of entitlement that some people have was terrible, 1 star reviews because I wouldn’t go out buy their camera so it could be added. Or Anger because they had not read the instructions and had turned on 2FA.

There are two ways to show appreciation, donation ( I get a couple per year, despite having tens of thousand of people using my apps) or reviews - which are free to give and just make me feel appreciated.

But if you want an example of how the system works - , here is a review for another one of my apps Amazon Alexa App for Homey | Homey .

Two star rating because this person wants something that isn’t actually possible to do :man_shrugging:

Here is an example from one of my apps another app < group > App for Homey | Homey

This person decided to give me two 1 star reviews after saying they reached out to me (they did not) and then decided to give the same 1 star review using two accounts.

High effort, low reward.

7 Likes

Hi Jamie,
Thanks for taking the time to reply even after all the frustration you had to endure.
I understand better now that I’ve taken the time to reread the whole thread.

I’m using Arlo pro cams, which seem to be working fine with your app (first system you included if I’m not mistaken) but I have to admit I didn’t go very far about the 2FA authorization. Did you look into the “share access” feature ?

Such lack of support from users is very troubling to me. A long time ago I spent years with some friends to develop and offer a free pretty advanced Guestbook script for websites (that’s just obsolete now) and while we had some whiners we relied on the strong supportive community with many volunteers to help around, sometimes (but rarely :wink: ) making a donation.

I didn’t know you also developped an app for Alexa. I actually used the homey skill to control devices with Alexa but if I understand well yours works the other way and I, so far, don’t have devices recognized by Alexa and not Homey. I’ll keep yours in mind if that happens, though :slight_smile:

I have other problems with other devices but will describe that in another post (Chamberlain / Doormaster garage doors for wich I used Shelly relays to work around ; Kodak / Abus alarm and automation systems for which there seems to be nothing…)

But I’ll keep my 20 fingers crossed for the Arlo app to come back under the general applause :smiley:

Thanks for your work, I’ll explore some more in the following days :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello,
I am very interested in your application, can you tell me if you are pursuing the project?
If so, I would like to be a tester for you without any worries.
thanks in advance

1 Like

Hello @Jamie ,

I understand your disappointment, but unfortunately people are like that, that’s why I never stopped at… as I call them “venom spitters”.
I did not have the pleasure of being able to use your application, but I know on the other hand that it requires a lot of work and involvement.
I reread the thread of this conversation, the feedback is positive towards your application.
I really hope to see your app come back.
I’ll be here if you’re looking for an objective tester that doesn’t require your app to turn on the oven when I turn off the alarm.
To date, I use Jeedom and I “interfaced” Homey via scenarios to activate, deactivate and record a video.

I sincerely hope to see your ARLO / Homey pro interface again.

With all my support…

2 Likes

The links do not work. Is there any way to connect Arlo Pro cameras to Homey?

Hi Jamie,

Checking in to feel the temperature; any chance you’ll be bringing Arlo back to the homey store?

Appreciate your efforts!

5 Likes

I’ve managed to get the basics (Arm/Disarm) working through IFTTT

1 Like

I really hope you restart your project! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get no available camera under “Which device” in the IFTTT flow. Any ideas?

You are in the wrong forum now. Better try ifttt or Arlo.
But can it be all the special characters in your account name. Maybe try another?