[APP][Pro] Power by the Hour: Insights per hour, day, month and year

Appstore stable version: Power by the Hour App for Homey | Homey
Appstore test version: Power by the Hour | Homey

Power by the Hour

Get data from a Homey power/gas/water meter device, and show the usage / production per hour, per day, per month and per year. Know the monetary value and use dynamic tariffs. Know how much your Always-on appliances are using and safe hundreds of Euros per year!

This app can be used for instance together with the Enelogic and Youless app, the Plugwise Smile P1 app, the BeeClear app, the Solar Power app, the Homewizard app, Tibber pulse, or any other app that has a cumulative Energy Meter (meter_power capability), a Power Meter (measure_power capability) a cumulative Gas Meter (meter_gas capability), or a cumulative Water Meter (meter_water capability).

PBTH summarizer device setup

Add a PBTH device and select if you want to summarize power, gas or water. A list of all compatible source devices is shown. Just select the one you want to add. Note that PBTH allows you to use power meters (Watt) as source device. This is however a fallback method that is less accurate then when using an energy meter (kWh) as source device. During pairing PBTH will automatically select the best available source. In the device settings you can manually switch this. If your device doesn’t show up at all, you can select the VIRTUAL_METER at the bottom of the list.

device selection

Using the PBTH Virtual Meter Summarizer

Selecting the virtual meter will allow any app/device that has an energy(kWh)/gas(m3)/water(m3) meter to use PBTH, even when the source app is using non-standard meter capability naming. The meter values must then be send to PBTH via a flow. Note that the meter value for energy must be the total kWh, meaning (consumed_high + consumed_low - returned_high - returned_low).

virtual meter upload flow

Setting summarizer meter readings

From the device settings you can enter the meter readings as they were at the beginning of a period (this month, this year). You only need to do this once after adding the PBTH device. The meter values will automatically be updated every hour.

Setting tariff and money values

PBTH can be used with any currency. From the device settings you can set the monetary values of various periods (month, year). You only need to do this once after adding the PBTH device. The money values will automatically be updated every hour based on the tariff you set. If your tariff only changes once once a year it is easiest to do this from the device settings. If your tariff often changes, e.g. during nights and weekends, you can dynamically set the active tariff from a flow. You can use a scheduler app to do this, or use a flow like below example.

Compare usage with a yearly budget

Real-time comparison with a yearly reference gas/electricity/water usage, based on a settable budget. Since in winter you usually use more then in summer, a distribution is applied. Next to a linear (flat) distribution, I implemented the distribution that is used by the Netherlands Government for the 2023 price ceiling (‘prijsplafond’), and a PV-system (solar panels) distribution. See explanation on how the % is calculated here: [APP][Pro] Power by the Hour: Insights per hour, day, month and year - #1109 by Gruijter

Finding out how much your Always-On appliances are using

The Minimum value from your main meter can be used to see how much power your always-on equipment is using (e.g. wifi routers, NAS, TV in stand-by, etc). Every 10 Watt you save on this value will result in a yearly saving of around 90kWh (20 Euro)! Note that if you have solar panels you can only measure this value correctly at night. The best moment is therefore just before sunrise in the morning.

Finding out gas or water leaks

The Minimum value can be used to detect a gas leak or water leak. If the minimum over a 24Hr period is not 0, you have a leak! Note that a leak is only detected this way if the leakage is more then 0.5 liter per minute.

Using Day-Ahead pricing (EU market spot pricing)

If you have a European energy provider that changes its pricing every hour (electricity) or every day (gas), you can use the built-in Day-ahead Pricing driver. Add the pricing device and select the correct Bidding Zone.

From the device settings you can set the taxes and markups your provider is charging on top of the net purchase price. All purchase prices are in EURO, but you can set an exchange rate to any other currency. If you enable ‘Send tariff’ all PBTH power summarize devices will be automatically updated every hour. Use the price_changed flowcard, combined with the average price for the next 8 hours, to save money. E.g. Control the car charging per hour, start the dish-washer at the perfect moment, or even put fridges ‘on pause’ for an hour if that is cost effective.

The electricity pricing information is fetched from ENTSO-E, the European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity. Data view
The TTF Gas spot pricing (EOD and EGSI) is coming from EEX.
The TTF LEBA gas pricing is derived from EasyEnergy as seen here: Energieprijzen inkoopprijs dagmarkt

DONATE

If you like the app, don’t hesitate to DONATE

15 Likes

2022-01-29

By popular demand, and because of my frustration that Athom is not providing better energy insights, I created this app. It is now still pending approval by Athom in the appstore.

If you want to have insights of your daily/monthly power use, or power production of your solar panels, this app is for you. You can bind it to any Homey device that has a meter_power capability.

Let me know what you think of it.

20 Likes

Nice! Pass it through Athom

1 Like

Great job Robin, can’t wait to try it!

1 Like

Super!

1 Like

This should be done by Athom in the first place…
Thnx man, wonderfull

2 Likes

I’m actually glad an active and committed community developer made this, and not Athom. Now I’m sure questions will be answered, bugs will be fixed and feature requests will be looked at.
But that’s just me.

10 Likes

Athom didnt approve it today. I hope tomorrow…

If you want to give it a go already, you can get it from github

3 Likes

I think that Athom is busy with implementing this app in release 3.1…

4.X you mean (still hoping for the zigbee update announced donkey years ago) :grin:

Thanks @Gruijter saves me about 10 flows of calculating variables which tend to get void when accidentally running the wrong flow :wink:

2 Likes

Was planning to make multiple flows to do exactly this. This is way better. Thanks!

2 Likes

Perfect in combination with Tibber home and pulse, thx! Possible to add year too?

This app will be very useful. Good work!
Maybe Athom should rename their Energy to Power? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Electricity is measured in Watts and kilowatts

Electricity is measured in units of power called Watts, named to honor James Watt, the inventor of the steam engine. A Watt is the unit of electrical power equal to one ampere under the pressure of one volt.

according to Google.

Energy is power during a time, measured in J, Wh or kWh.
Power is energy per unit of time, measured in J/s, W or kW.
According to me

Electricity is the set of physical phenomena associated with the presence and motion of matter that has a property of electric charge.
According to Wikipedia.

2 Likes

Still not released today. I guess Athom is busy getting the new app store running. Most of my published apps went missing😱

1 Like

Maybe the are busy with the Zigee rewrite :rofl:

1 Like

Nu homey chrashes when i use insights. So i am not so happy with it because accidentaly hit the button

1 Like

Hi Jan_Willem, I’m not sure what you mean. What button makes your Homey crash? Do you mean something the Power by the Hour app is doing? Or something else?