[APP][Pro] TP-Link Smart Devices KASA - central topic

You have two devices, right? Homey can’t reach either of them.

Giving the TP-Link devices a fixed IP (or fixed DHCP reservation) will probably help. If you can’t do that, you can enable the dynamic ip option in the advanced settings. The app will then attempt to rediscover the device each time it becomes unreachable when the ip address changes.

Hi!
I have problem with energymeter from my HS110. I have tried to do a reset of the energymeter in Homey but the value gets wrong again. The value is high! Is this a value which is calculated in the homey or is this value read from the plug?

Hi Davor,

The app does nothing with the value, no idea where such a value comes from. What is the value in the Kasa app? Any idea what the difference is?

The ‘reset’ in the app stores the value at that moment and subtracts it from the metered value until you ‘undo’ the reset again, this doesn’t seem to work? To be honest I haven’t used or tested this in ages.

Is the firmware of the plug up to date? At one point the emeter values changed. I use a library for the app which takes these firmware differences into account. There is an update available, however it requires at least Node.js v10. Homey is still running Node.js v8 (which is way outdated, the latest LTS version is 12.16…), so I can’t update to the new library. Although I haven’t seen any recent changes in the libary for the emeter values.

So you can check the hard- and firmware version, see if TP-Link has an update, perhaps provide some logging. My plugs still show the correct values, I can’t tell what is going on, sorry.

Hi!
Thanks for the support. I tried to do a reset and undo and after that it works fine.

I didn’t know that I need to do a undo as well.

Thanks!

Hello Anne,

imagine what - I can’t set fixed IP’s with the CBN router provided by the cable company - Vodafone Kabeldeutschland :frowning_face:
For some weeks I was able to use 8+ TP Link switchable plugs, but one day the app starte to crash almost every day. The option for dynamic IP helped a bit bit still the app crashes.
So I stopped not to use TP link an try other products. Osram / NeoCoolcam.
This is very sad, because I already own a lot of TP link plugs.
Arne

Can we expect support for the KP303 (3 outlet) power strip?

2 Likes

Since there is only a non- European version which is not sold over here (NL) as far as I am aware, the short answer is: no, probably not.

Homeassistant has support for it though. I moved to HA myself, I can recommend it :+1:

For users using the experimental release (not recommended if you do anything with Homey you can’t do without) there’s a test version of the app available using an updated version of the tplink-smarthome-api library. It may help with the connectivity issues. It requires Homey 4.2.0 or higher due to the requirement for node.js v10 (or higher) which 4.2.0 provides.

With the latest 4.2.0 ‘stable’ release, please install the latest version that’s is now available for testing: https://homey.app/a/nu.baretta.tplink/test/. Let me know if there are any issues, once it’s being used without issues by some more users I will publish it as a replacement for the current version.

Hi Anne,

with firmware 4.2.0 and app 0.1.8 the app crashes after a few minutes.
–> the app stopped working
ID: acab4c8b-fec3-4677-997a-c791eadd69d2

Thanks for the report, I have added a fix to version 0.1.9: https://homey.app/a/nu.baretta.tplink/test/.

I am unsure why this comes up now and not before, this hasn’t changed… Note that the error occurs in the part of the code that attempts to dynamically rediscover plugs which have become unreachable.

It seems three of your devices were unreachable, the connections time out. Even with this bugfix, your plugs may not come back online.

Most problems with the app are caused by network instability and/or the use of the DHCP (without reservations), causing the IP address of the TP-Link device to change. As explained earlier in this topic the ‘dynamic DHCP’ option can work (it works when I test it), but it seems it does not work for everyone. So use DHCP reservations for the TP-Link devices (or statically configured IP addresses) if you can.

There’s some development going on in the library, however it has not yet made it into the main branche. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Update: pushed 1.1.10 to test with a fix for the dynamic IP option discovery process, which could potentially ‘run wild’… Each discovery attempt now times out properly, and after 10 attempts discovery stops until the app is restarted.

I have published 0.1.10, and it seems to be OK for most, so far there’s only user from whom it the app has crashed at this point. I may have a fix for this particular issue in 0.1.11: https://homey.app/a/nu.baretta.tplink/test/. If you have issues with the app crashing, please give it a try.

2 Likes

During the last days, the app worked fine, after installing 0.1.11 the app starts to crash again :frowning:
All plugs HS110 are available & online.
Using DCHP with reservation, so getting every time the same IPs.

Thanks for the feedback. However, it seems 1.1.10 crashed as well on your Homey (an hour ago), with exactly the same error as on 1.1.11. It starts with your devices becoming unreachable.

The good news is that this will not happen anymore as soon as you disable the ‘dynamic IP’ option in the advanced settings for each device. You don’t need it as you are using DHCP reservations :+1:

I’ll try and give you feedback :slight_smile:
Thanks for the fast reply :+1:

I have the same problem with my HS110. I installed 0.1.11 and disabled the dynamic IP setting and restarted the app, but it still cannot find my device.

Diagnostics ID: 73bee776-1ab3-4f5a-b383-54538150fcf2

Just ordered a HS110 on Amazon. Can anyone tell me (before I receive and install it) if the App allows “energy monitoring” as a trigger in the flows for the HS110? THANKS!!

Yes, options like:
When power changed, When voltage changed, are available.
Use it for my washingmachine to get a message when it is ready.

Thank you. Am looking forward to using it for the SAME!!!..

-M

Mark Tan

Personal info removed by moderator

Hi @anne,

Would it be possible to have a trigger like “the voltage is changed” to have a trigger that can work the other way around? So “the voltage is not changed” for x seconds or minutes that it will report to me if it is not reporting back for a specific time? For example one of our HS110’s is losing his network connection sometimes (once in one or two months). Therefore I have to restart the WiFi network in our yard.

But now i can only check the connection to see if it reports the voltage or energy back to homey. But better would be that I get a push message when the voltage is not changed for like 1 minute or 5 minutes or so.