Control Shelly devices with Homey
App Store Page: https://homey.app/a/cloud.shelly/
This Homey app allows you to control a variety of Shelly devices. New Shelly devices are released to the market often. Support for new devices will be added in time. See below for more information if you are missing support for a specific device and you want to see it added.
Add your Shelly device in Homey just like you would add any other device to Homey. The app uses mDNS discovery for finding your Shelly device(s) on your network and the CoAP protocal for status updates. For Shelly devices that are on a seperate LAN you will need to enable mDNS forwarding in your router. If you have setup a username and password you are asked to enter these as well. After confirmation you are good to go.
Using the action event trigger card
Most Shelly devices are capable of notifying Homey when a specific action has taken place like a short- or longpress of a switch. If you have a supported device and you want to be able to use this functionality you can find the “Action Event” trigger card under the app flow cards and not under any specific Shelly device (so search for Shelly when adding the card in the flow). When you added the card to a flow you can select which device and what action should trigger that flow.
I enjoy creating apps for Homey and try to support them as best as I can. But if you enjoy using my apps a donation in return for the time I put into this is much appreciated.
Allterco Robotics, the company behind the Shelly devices, is releasing new products very often. If you want a device added to this app which is currently missing you have three options:
- If you own the device you can send me the output of http://yourshellyip/status and http://yourshellyip/settings. This tells me the capabilities and the way the API is implemented for that device.
- Wait for the API documentation to be updated. Based on the documentation I can add the device. Allterco Robotics is slow in updating their API documentation however.
- Donate me money so I can buy the device or send me the device itself so I can add support using the actual device.
It seems some users are experiencing network issues (devices unreachable or timeouts) when using the Shelly app with Homey.This seems to happen mostly with users that have a lot of Shelly devices added. Until now I have not been able to find any cause of this in my app. It appears that in these scenarios Homey is struggeling to maintain a stable network connection with the Shelly devices for communication. Here are some pointers in case you are experiencing offline devices (with a red triangle showing in the Homey app).
- Make sure you assign static IP addresses for your Shelly devices in your router. Check if the IP address of your Shelly still corresponds with the IP address under the device settings in Homey. Also make sure you can access the webinterface of your Shelly devices under that IP address (http://yourshellyip/).
- Make sure there is nothing blocking the network traffic between Homey and your Shelly device, like a firewall or seperated VLAN. You could test this by using the “send a webrequest” logica action card within a flow and try to request the status page of your Shelly at http://yourshellyip/status.
- Make sure your WiFi signal of both Homey and your Shellies is stable. Check for instance your WiFi network channel is not set to auto but set to a specific channel, for instance 1,6 or 11.
- Especially when having a lot of Shelly devices you might want to use a higher polling frequency and differentiate the frequency between devices as well. Homey polls the devices for it’s status, if this happens often and at the same time for all devices this may become an issue for the limited resources of Homey. For most devices you can manually change the polling frequency under the device settings (except for battery powered devices and devices that create multiple instances in Homey when pairing like the Shelly 2.5).
- If you have done all of the above and your issue persists feel free to send me a crash report from the app settings. Based on this I can at least confirm it’s indeed network issues. Do this by restarting the app, wait until the devices show as unreachable in Homey and send the crash report from the device settings. Afterwards post the crash report ID in the support topic here together with extra information about your issue, like the router you are using and how Homey and the Shellies are connected to it. This extra information might help to find a pattern.