[APP][Pro] SolarEdge + Growatt TCP modbus

For those with batteries, v.1.2.0 is now available for testing with StorEdge implementation.

SolarEdge test v1.2.0

I tried several times to connect my SolarEdge SE5000HD Wave, but without any luck:

I have enabled ModBus TCP through the interface and is (or was) readable using Hass.io on port 1502.

Any idea why I can’t connect to my inverter?

You can have only one connection. So switch off hass.io.
Otherwise, see the troubleshooting post

I already switched off the raspberry pi first, and did the reset without display by changing the configs. I don’t have power meter or battery connected, only the inverter data would be sufficient.

You can send me the logs, but most probably it will be not connected

Got it working… Fully disconnected Raspberry Pi (although plugin for SolarEdge was already disabled), did a reset of the inverter and logged into the inverter and just changed the port back to 502 and added SolarEdge on homey parallel, as you only have 2 minutes to connect the first time, otherwise connection will be refused.

Have tested v1.2.2 now for more then 2 weeks and my conclusion is that the connection to the inverter randomly drops.
I don’t why this is happening because there is nothing strange happening in my home or the network.

Sometimes the connection is stable for a couple of days in a row. And then suddenly it is dropping the connection several times a day or hour.
Also sometimes I get a red exclamation mark on the device in Homey.

I have send a new diagnostic report with ID 25f83eab-46bb-4900-aac3-343fd1269322 to you.

Hopefully you can find something why this is happening because I don’t have a clue.

Thanks.

I have no idea. I checked your report, but cannot find anything wrong.

I still think it is a tcp problem, I didn’t write the tcp driver myself.
Mine is also running for a few weeks without problems.

Try assigning a fixed ip address to your inverter, and connect it with a lan cable instead of wifi (if possible)

My inverter is connected by LAN and had already a fixed IP.

So if no one else having the same problem it must be something in my setup.
I wil try to find the root cause and otherwise it was a nice try.

Sorry to be “off topic”, but I think someone here can answer the questions below. PBTH=Power by the hour app. The background is I asked if it was possible to see my consumption in that app. Today I see only my solar production summarized.

• I see you have Solar Power in watts. I assume this is reported by your solar edge inverter. Can you confirm?
  • I see you also have a Power import and export. I assume this is coming from your main meter. But where is solaredge getting this from?
  • How is the total yield calculated? Is that from the Solar power, or is that from the Power export - Power import?

Hi,

Total yield, import and export are received from the inverter, so not calculated.
These values are ‘meters’ so PBTH could see them if it supports ‘sub’meters. Total yield is the main meter.

Consumption is a ‘measure_power’, this cannot be used in PBTH as it is a value at time measured.

The problem of randomly not retrieving date from the inverter still exists and I have done some testing to find the problem.
Everything in my home setup seems to be OK.
So the conclusion is that the problem is regarding the SolarEdge app or Homey it self.
But as I have no other issues with Homey it has to be the app.

What have I tested so far:
Wifi and LAN connectivity.
New UTP connectors on the inverter LAN cable
Playing with the app settings
Installed a SolarEdge modbus plugin on my Domoticz RaspberryPi.

Removed the SolarEdge from Homey and now using Domoticz to read the modbus data. And this one is working perfectly without any disruption.

So I really hope that the app is going to be stable in the future because it is a welcome feature.
For now thank you for the support and work, en I will give it a try when there is another major release.

Hi,

Honestly I have no idea where to start, and I am also a very beginner developer :wink:
You are the only one who had this issue, but it could be also a homey thing. (As Homey is connected with wifi)

You could try as a ‘solution’ to make a flow to check the performance of the app, and restart the app if needed.

Hi Pieter,
I did that already and in the some cases it was restarting the app every 2 minutes or less.
So that did not look very promising for the overall performance of Homey.

You could check with homeassistant or anything else how stable your homey wifi is.

Hello Pieter,

I have been using your app for 2 weeks now and I think it’s great.
In the first few days it stopped working (aka Inverter could not be found in the app), last time it stopped I restarted the app and now it has been working non stop for a week, hope it stays that way.

Would it be possible to add today’s power (Opbrengst vandaag) to the app?
That would make it even greater :slight_smile:

I had it working for several weeks, but since last week the communication between my SolarEdge and Homey failed: device unavailable (with an red exclamation mark in my devices). I discovered today that the IP address of my SolarEdge is for some kind of strange reason changed. So I changed the ip address at my device in Homey as well. But still the same issue. I also added a second SolarEdge device in my Homey, but also the same issue. According to the display of my SolarEdge the TCP port 502 is still working (Modbus TCP: Ready). Any idea how to fix this issue? I also reboot my Homey and de SolarEdge app…

Can you send me a diagnostics report?

You could use the power by the hour, to make a ‘daily’ sum

Pieter is refering to this app: Power by the Hour App voor Homey | Homey

I use it as well. Works good. Just daily information in variables.