[APP][Pro] Tank Level Meter TF-FT002

Hmm, ok. Range is going to be a problem for me then. Oil tank is approx 20m from Homey, can’t really move Homey around, and there are 4 brick walls, 2 of house and 2 of garage between Homey and Oil Tank

There are 433MHz range extenders. Maybe someone has experience with that?

https://www.praxis.nl/gereedschap-installatiemateriaal/elektra/domotica/klikaanklikuit-signaal-versterker-aex-701/5250302

So I received my TS-FT002 just today. 1st what I did, I disassembled it and coated all sensitive parts by nail polish, still it is for sure far from being “water / humidity” proof - I will seal also the ultrasound sensor with hot glue or rubber around sensor in combination with hot glue. For sure that’s the reason device stops working after certain period of time the device is practically open from bottom (holes for the temp. sensor, no sealing around ultrasound sensor etc.). In the tank I will also put it to some bag…naturally not covering the bottom sensors part.

In next days I need to figure out, how I will install it…but it’s snowing outside. :wink: What is good so far, indeed your app @Gruijter seems to be working, data is being exchanged, let’s see how this will for when I put it to the water tank because of the signal…

Disassembled

After “coating” :

4 Likes

Btw, in case you are looking for some mount options, I have created one - PrusaPrinters (3D Print)

Wow, that is pretty cool! Is it not mounted too close to the tank wall?

Thank you. It’s like 8cm…still waiting for warmer weather to see if it’s ok or not :wink: When testing it on solid surface close to the wall, seems it still measures fine…I believe the key is to be fully 100% horizontal.

1 Like

These are no 433 MHz range extextender, they can learn up to 6 KAKU codes so only usable with KAKU compatible devices.

Do you know if generic 433 range extenders exist?

Maybe it works with a signal boost or a new (larger) antenna at the sensor? For me it’s not an option to open homey. Or is it possible the extend the antenna with a cable so it can be placed outside of the tank an closer to homey? @Undertaker ???

Why not to replace the antenna directly on TS-FT002 ? Eg. using 5pcs lot 433 MHz Antenna 5dBi SMA Male Connector 433m folding antena 433 mhz waterproof directional antenne for Lorawan Gasmeter|antenna uhf|antenna moduleantenna dbi - AliExpress… in case I will have issues with reception, I might even get the antena out, eg. using 5dbi 433Mhz Antenna 433 MHz antena GSM SMA Male Connector with Magnetic base for Ham Radio Signal Booster Wireless Repeater|Communications Antennas| - AliExpress

obrazek obrazek

that is what i mean. this will work?

If you don’t dare to open Homey, you can mod the sensor yourself. There are 433 Mhz amplifier modules that are looped between the antenna. I don’t know the sensor though. Someone would have to open it up to see where the antenna is and if you can solder a pigtail on.

Please check, however, whether such a performance increase is legal in your country.

Edit: Just saw the photo. A mod should be easy.

The original antenna can remain in the housing. Simply solder the pigtail to the base of the antenna. Perhaps there is even space in the housing to accommodate the amplifier.

1 Like

So I installed TS-FT002 like on the picture. Signal seems to be fine (the tank has cover and then it"s approx. 10m from the Homey behind one triple glass).

I measured the air gap and the depth, set it in the app, the air gap was 90 cm, yet app showed 99cm in measured values - so I changed it to 99cm, after a while it showed 100cm, so I updated it to 100cm - it stabilized now … because the tank is full now and it would not report full without this adjustment.

Not sure how it will work as it’s located quite close to the wall (yet full state is reported fine), I will then eventually adjust my holder, however is it correct what I did with adjusting the params ?
Why it is required even to set this parameter if the app is able to “measure” it ? Or I got it wrong :wink:

Wow, very nice @Sharkys ! That is a big tank. What is it for? Is the photo showing max filled or empty?

You have to tell the app what the dimensions of your tank are, otherwise it cannot calculate the fill % and the m3. So you need to set the max level (100cm gap in your case), the min level (how deep can the level sink in your case?), and the liters that are contained when full.

1 Like

It can vary by 1 or 2 cm. I think it is caused by speed of sound depending on temperature, humidity and air pressure.

1 Like

It’s rain retention tank, just 4m3, not a big one :wink: It’s showing full, the air gap is 90cm (100cm) and the maximum depth is 230cm, that’s what I also set in the app. Now I need to wait for spring/summer and start irrigating garden :wink:

1 Like

Ups, my mistake, it’s measured 90cm, it showed 99cm and then 100cm… but even 9-10cm is fine for me. I was just wondering as your app somehow calculated it by itself, if you know what I mean :wink: So I set it in the app also to 99/100cm…

That number is measured and reported to Homey by the sensor. I would say it is the distance between the water level and the ultrasonic transceiver in the unit.

Thanks for your donation @Sharkys :beers::+1:

1 Like

Thanks @Gruijter , will get the App and donate once I get it working properly.

To get the 0.5m gap I installed it on top of a 100mm PVC pipe, but it looks as this causes the same problem as installing it too close to the tank wall. I did see a youtube video of someone who installed it on top of a 50mm PVC pipe and he seemed to show that this worked.

Has anyone worked out how to get the 0.5m distance and make it work? I guess at worst case I’ll have to put up with it not reporting levels above 0.5m.

So far comms with Homey has been fine.

Peter