Athom announced Homey Cloud and Homey Bridge

I don’t get it:
That was not your Question above, You asked:

discover a web API on the Homey cloud

Then you provide two dead links, but https://api.developer.homey.app/ provides info about the API.
and while not open to the public:

You can Request a Key!

And Both the Community store as HomeyCommunity Backup prove the API works With The Developer CLI Login. (although you cant install Apps and the Backup is not yet working)

Which might not be an issue for a lot of people. Many fiber operators around here have excellent availability, if you’re on a shaky xDSL line this could on the other hand be a major pain.
And let’s not forget that quite a lot of stuff running on our Homeys already rely on internet access.

But what would be the way to increase the installed base? Sure, a portion of their current customers would upgrade to the latest and greatest version, but that wouldn’t increase their reach, their partners woulnd’t see a broader market. And perhaps we shouldn’t assume that there aren’t smart people among those who don’t feel the current product is for them.

1 Like

What about access to local devices?
Offers the Bridge IP access to local devices? Many things (TV…) have a local Api and are only accessible in tha LAN.

2 Likes

Does having a Homey Pro improve Athom’s own HomeKit implementation immensely? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

To me it feels like the Homey (pro) hardware will be phased out in the (near) future which for me is unacceptable. No internet = no Homey = nothing works (including alarm system). I don’t want to be dependable on the cloud. I want to be fully autonomous controlling my own hardware. I hoped Atom would even develop better hardware but it seems like they are going the wrong direction. For me enough reason to phase out Homey and look for other options.

4 Likes

What make you feel that?

I think your feelings are not correct. At least it is not what was told in the keynote and I didn’t read it either.

I had the same thoughts…
Athom is investing in a SAAS system. So primary software over cloud and less dependencies on hardware. Monthly fee instead of single payed hardware. Connect other hardware focused on using the cloud access of these companies instead local Hardware. So it would make sense for Athom to set the focus on software and cloud.
If they will sell out HomeyPro or if they will order some more…but it seems as if there will be no Homey 2.0.
I hope, my Homey (non pro) will get long time support. I was planning to bye a HomeyPro because of less RAM on the nonPro, but I’m not sure at the moment…

2 Likes

Cant tel more then this msg from slack

Not everyone has Fiber (FTTP) in the world.

A lot of countries still use FTTC and/or DSL or Coaxial to or in the premises.
Also wireless is taking off. Which relies on 4g/5g mobile towers.

Network upgrades are always happening.

I purchased Homey, because it was local control and privacy. (which has been in their pitch for last few years)
This is a big change.

Their should be new hardware for people in this community.
That is a revenue driver too.
A Homey 2.0 for me should be an upgrade to local flash, upgrade to ram, quad core processor and new antennas and chipsets.

Anybody notice the resemblance of the Homey Bridge to Neeo Brain. :rofl:
When I seen the video of it. My mouth was watering to buy a new Homey 2.0 with all the above upgrades.
Guess that’s not going to happen now and my focus will have to be elsewhere.

1 Like

Same for me.
I am very disappointed and worse am worried about Homey ecosystem.
I cannot believe they go a step backward, the opposite of smartthings that just brought local automations (no more cloud). Cloud is another breach in unreliable and unseccurity.
So disappointed that they did not make a new app and new box.

It’s just a feeling of course. But why are they moving to the cloud? I think Atom can make a lot more money with subscriptions. Good for them of course but I am afraid sooner or later they will leave the hardware development because it is not profitable anymore.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine Homey crushing the pro. Of the current users, 90% would say goodbye. Athom could finish. The future must show whether the bridge will be a success or a stillbirth. That can take years for the bridge to cover the costs. The biggest own goal, however, could be the cloud story. If the server malfunctions or the customer wakes up in the cold room due to the lack of internet, this will not be tolerated. Then instead of taking a pro, customers will switch angrily. Very thin ice!
A parallel universe with both possibilities is very likely. If my information is correct, a successor for the Pro will be developed.
I think the current pro will stay with us for a few more years.
For me personally, the bridge is completely uninteresting.

4 Likes

Try to see some of the positive things here as well guys:

-For homey (pro) users nothing has changed
-This business model provides a more solid income for Athom, what do you think would happen if Athom goes bankrupt, we need them to be a healthy company
-More users (because of low price level of the cloud-bridge version) probably means more developers, good changes new developments on the software will be available to us as well, as it uses the same software
-More users makes it a larger player in the smarthome world, and therefore more interesting for proper support from all the smarthome hardware suppliers

Sometimes it is too easy to only see the negatives… And yes, I know some new hardware, a dashboard and others are on the wishlist from many. On the other hand, I’m still using my 2016 Homey with +/-100 devices and >20 apps and everything is still fine.

7 Likes

If You already have a “classic Homey” - then sorry, at least right now i do not see any good reason to go “into cloud”. Cloud may be the cheapest way into the business, but to go from local processing to cloud, which one does not giving some extra value… hmm, from my very personal point of view it’s not eliminating a total mess on case of network outage.

PS. May-be i’m too grievous at this point, but it was just yesterday, i survived the service provider’s router burn-in. With “classic Homey” i do not noticed it - but imagining with cloud to do my bathroom-business in total dark, as have a automatic lights there.

How? Did they remove any service you depend on?

Then Homey isn’t for you as it already relies on cloud services.

To be honest: it’s not Athom’s fault that the internet connection is not perfect in some homes. You pay each month much more money to have a working internet connection than you would pay for the Homey subscription and the only thing that people are complaining about is that they have to pay for a Homey subscription and it won’t work if their internet is down? :eyes:
Go complain to the provider for more reliable internet and you’ll have a very interesting device with the Bridge :grimacing:

1 Like

I ordered the Homey Bridge yesterday but then I read that applications created by Verified Developers will only be supported. This is a hard stop for me so I need to send back the Bridge and buy a Pro version. I’m new to Homey and I was waiting for Homey Keynote to see If they present a Pro v2. I’m migrating from Fibaro to have a single gateway that supports many protocols.

And not everyone has electricity in the world. That’s besides the point, a lot of people have both electricity and reliable internet and can use that for their benefit. Everyone have to look at their situation and see which solution is suitable for them.
But if your internet connection is really flaky, your Homey experience will be severely limitied whatever version you get.

Have you lost any of that?

I haven’t seen any announcement about dropping the current hardware. Granted, there havent been any announcements of an upgrade of the current hardware either, but I don’t see that we can draw any conclusions from that.

Despite the theme of the keynote, the Homey Bridge is clealy not for everyone. It’s not really for most existing Homey users. And yet they sent me a push-notification through the Homey app to lure all of us into the hype cycle… That explains some of the negativity.

Yes, nothing changed for current users. But stagnation is not a positive thing.

To make this event a slam dunk, I wish they would’ve added one line to the presentation: “We’re also thinking about what a new iteration of the Homey Pro might look like. We’re aiming to bring you more news on this in 2022.” Just to give us a signal that we’re still a part of Athom’s future vision, not just a stepping stone to a different type of consumer. As it stands right now, it looks like we will get less and less of Athom’s attention from this point onwards.

3 Likes

Yeah, I second that.