Athom's Decision for Mobile First and removing of the Desktop Interface/WEB UI in Homey v2.0.0

https://support.athom.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015678393

systeminfo is in the app and on
https://developer.athom.com/
and insights
https://insights.athom.com/

1 Like

The reasons you could read in there blogs…

What system info are you missing? Almost everything is still there.

And insights are available at https://insights.athom.com

I don’t wanna discuss about “it would’ve been better if” - questions. Athom is a very small bunch of people and no market proven hardcore strategic driven company. Therefore it’s better if they just go one step by step and I wanna be patient with them, too.
V2 is a step into the right directions, even though the UI is not really at the latest findings in terms of User Experience and convenience… however …

Though, I wanna ask (if there’s not gonna be a dashboard) - when will there a be web interface?

It is pretty nice to have an App - which was highly highly overdue if you had the pleasure to get tortured by using the old one - but: Frickling on a smartphone all the way with all the sensors and actors and flows for an initial setup to secure a house plus more?!
You must be kidding or on drugs - or both, as this can’t be the solution. (Joking)

Add flows to the dev app website, make it (finally) pls responsive (really responsive!) and we’re all fine.

At least you will then give us the software we do not just require but deserve for that amount of money. That’s my 2 pence.

2 Likes

weejewels world …or nothing … or just maybe there’s something else

I am not a great believer in the need for a dashboard UI for automation control (beyond information provision like weather , news , diary, alerts etc) . Automation should just assist behind the scenes and not be heard, seen, or need intervention

However I do believe that people’s needs are different and they should have options, not have a usage enforced upon them.

I personally think the mobile phone is one of the worst developments we have adopted (along with violent computer games) , making people introverted, rude, dis-functional, aggressive and socially inept. Mobiles are necessary in business and have great benefits socially but not as they been adopted currently.

P.S. Yes I’m over 50

4 Likes

+1

I think I am going to regret posting here, but I am just curious, if Athom only had the resources to create ONE app. What would you prefer it be on? Mobile, Windows, Linux, Mac?

That means the choice is between being able to change flows on the desktop but never being able to use your mobile to turn a device on/off etc. Or having to slide up/down flows but you can now control your house from anywhere in the world at any time.

I also just want to take this opportunity to remind people that this is a community forum, I guessing perhaps some people find the complaining therapeutic but its not been over 18 months since this was announced, and this thread is coming into its third month…

A web app

3 Likes

See that is exactly the problem with this thread - that wasn’t one of the options.

… and the real problem was it wasn’t one of the options :thinking:

3 Likes

Well that’s highly hypothetical… and as it is, it doesn’t matter at all. … and furthermore -
If we stay hypothetical- then a simple WebApp would’ve been of course very much more at cutting edge of technology and the way of choice. That’s how companies face the multiple OS challenge…
At least last year when I was working with UIs it was the case… Of course - as the webapp is just fantasy right now - It doesn’t matter as well.

Mario, So you are inferring that a company which used webAPP technology arbitrarily decided to drop support for it, rewrite their entire core and then spend over 12 months changing their technology - because they no longer wanted to use the ‘cutting edge’ technology and preferred to use an inferior technology?

Or perhaps web technologies are inherently restrictive in what they can do …

Edit : This will be my last post here.

1 Like

Well, there you have it again.

I think you are number four or five to put all people that are honest to say that they miss it and don’t understand the choice in a corner as “azijnzeikers”, whiners or therapeutic complainers. And that in a thread that is exactly meant to do it here and nowhere else.

I could say in my turn that all people that are fine by managing an expensive device that has major possibilities only via a small mobile screen are myopic and opportunists, but what’s the point in that?

And indeed, this IS a COMMUNITY forum. Not a forum for only people that MUST have the same opinion. Everybody is entitled to have his/her own opinion. If that is not possible anymore in a community then the community doesn’t have a right to exist.

2 Likes

that is exactly the same shit im dealing with haha.
im also using my pen and paper to remember.
especialiy when adding a new device in a existing flow.

1 Like

Little tip, just to get rid of the pen and paper: [HOW TO] View your Homey v2 flows in a browser

1 Like

Just a bandaid solution though

1 Like

Well, that’s a nice way of showing appreciation for the work of a non Athom related developer developing stuff in his spare time!

9 Likes

It’s called a workaround. Calling it a band-aid solution is blaming him for not dealing with the cause.
But it’s not his fault it disappeared and he can’t do anything about the cause. He just kindly offers a solution to work around the lack of the interface.

1 Like

Don’t think @Xtasy meant to imply that :slight_smile: He knows how the wheels turn :slight_smile:

Naaah, don’t get me wrong guys. We all know how quickly we get into black/white interpretation in chats / forums due to its limited possibilities of transporting non-verbal signals. So to be clear:

WebApp has good sides and bad sides as well.
To quickly cover a community of large OS- and devices-diversity it makes of course sense to say: “mobile first”. Or “WebApp” first.

I feel more and more being forced by sentences here in the forum that say (or mean) “Try to see it from the developers POV”. No. Strictly No.
I am pretty familiar w/ the way projects work when driven by IT instead of strategy. It simply gets less intuitive and while Marketing and Sales teams keep saying what the people want, it just doesn’t put the focus on what it should (has to!) be: Customer first. Period.

It’s about time to consider about that; again - don’t get me wrong: there are some work arounds. Okay. There are still bugs and issues and stuff. Okay as well.

But it’s not the right road to tell all Users (that want to remain users and don’t wanna get pulled to deep into the architecture behind) that they have to understand, change their POV or highly appreciate everything that Athom does. If the device wouldn’t be 300€ - then perhaps, yes, maybe. But a free, fully functional and regularly mantained App is not optional. It’s mandatory.

And as It’s a community forum: If it’s not for users and their belongings, needs and questions - then it might be the wrong forum.

3 Likes

nice thanks for the tip!!