I’m planning on upgrading to the Homey pro, due to the lack of RAM and limitations on apps, which I ran out on in just a month or so. So, the big question is now… Do I have to start all over?
And I believe the answer is “yes”. At least in the current state. With the introduction of Homey Pro, it’s a given that quite a few will upgrade, and there are others that need to replace the original if it breaks. So, why are there no backup/restore/migrate functionality available?
Only app I’ve found are the Flow backup. But even this one will be severely limiting, as non of the apps, settings, variables and devices are backed up or restored. Presumably. And, no. This is not enough of a functionality in such a complex system.
With so many hours people put into doing this automation, it’s quite scary that there is no way to insure you can get up and running again shortly after a disaster or migration. I’m seriously wondering if moving to the pro is worth it, given the many hours I probably have to spend in the process. But it’s probably better to do it now while I just have 35 devices, 15 variables and 50 flows, compared to the tens of hours I might end up with when this is all set and done.
I read about some signs of a backup/restore function planned for 2.1 release. But we have not seen that yet. I implore you to look harder at this, because this is a huge pain point for quite a few I suspect.
The functionality that I find reasonable to expect would include:
- Complete backup of all settings (cloud or locally)
- Backup of apps and the config
- Backup of all flows
- Backup of all devices and settings
- Automatic migration of these things to a new device
In the case that there is problems restoring devices, you could perhaps have some sort of aliases in place? Which made it possible to identify which missing devices are needed to be paired and replaced so you don’t end up with a heck of a lot of cryptic “missing device” or what not, in cards in lots of flows.
I suspect the two latter things might be the hardest to achieve, but I’m certain it would be possible to at least alleviate the pain quite a bit.
If you could look into this and find some sort of solution soon I would be very grateful. Would love any feedback you have on the subject, so my decision of either purchasing the Pro now or waiting would be a simpler one. Thanks!