Backups on the way?

It’s a difference if a business offers devices for 300/400€ and promised that there will be no fees… or if a business offers a service with monthly fees but cheap/free devices like DSL/cable provider.
Taking high price and additional fees for basic functionality is not a good solution.

And Hue devices are so popular because you know what it will cost when you bye it - the device itself…and they work without problems and the functionality got expanded over the years.

2 Likes

Hue business is HW oriented. Athom is not selling its own HW beside Homey globe. Yes, they do resell other manufacturers products, but…
It would be much fair to know this model when people decided to go for Homey. But if I would ask you today a question “How much would you pay me if I provide you backup app for Homey?” how much would it be? In my case, of full home automation with way to many flow to be rebuild from scratch, I would definitely pay extra bucks for this.

Come on, when you offer new and your excising customers a pro version because they already found the limitations of the non pro version you already should have made a service available to transfer your data to it, at no extra cost,
That’s the main reason i didn’t go pro.
Backup should be default… period…

1 Like

Why not an option to save your backups local. That was the best solution they could give us.

I would have liked the backup 3 days ago🙃

If you want a real answer, then you are on the wrong spot.

But the reason what i can think of, is that there are a lot of people that would take advantage of it by just get it for 1 month, download the backup, and just stop the subscription, and do that like once a year, or just when they find it necessary. (yes, people do go to those lengths to save money)
Most people don’t change their homey/flows/devices that much in a year.

And probably also so people can’t start reverse engineer it, i can imagine that there is some sensitive data in there of the user(s), and Athom.

I guess that when the backup functionality arrives, Athom will have to rewrite their Privacy & Security page (I think that a fair amount of users don’t feel comfortable with an Athom-managed cloud service for backups because those backups may contain some sensitive data).

1 Like

The user’s name is already there, and is been “ok’ed” by the user, i guess you have seen the messages about the “share your flow” which contains the users name, legally.
So yes, it will at least contain those kinds of sensitive data, so no need to change anything :wink:

Plus (potentially) credentials to all kinds of external services, assuming that app settings will also be backed up (which I assume they will).

as long as we don’t know how it will pan out completely, as there will most likely need to be “ok’ed” for a subscription, than the “not informing the user” is non existent.