[APP][Pro] Beacon - Detect your presence with BLE beacons

Somehow. The app stopped working / updating the status of my beacons. Even after restarting the app.
And yes. After restarting homey it works again but still… Odd

Hm, just got a 2018 tile pro. It is discovered ok, but then it wont update at all. If I check the device it just says discovered, 20 min ago. Uninstalled the tile app, restarted homey etc. On the newest firmware , earlt 2019.

Of course! Opened the box, started the tile app, discovered and added the tile. Uninstalled the app. Added it to homey Beacon. Then as it didnt work, i re. Oved Beacon from homey and rebloted homey, installed app again, then hid the tile in the app. Installed Beacon, added tile in homey. Same thing…

And you are not at home?

Oh im at home and the tile is in reach, but it doesn’t change status when out of reach. Shouldt it update every ten seconds? Oh its says detected, but only once and that was an jour ago. Screenshot_20191221_202741_app.homey|241x500

These are my settings. How sure are you that its out of reach? Sometimes i set on home when i am away for 100 meters

Hm, will check tomorrow… Its on the cat actually, but maybe he hasnt gone far away yet…

1 Like

Got it to work, got 2 flows detecring presence. If I check the device it doesn’t show its updating regularely, only when its had change status, so I misunderstood it. It works as it should now, thanks for the help.

2 Likes

So the 2020 editions don’t work. Wow. Didn’t see that coming. Should have searched better. What other beacons are there? I can’t find the 2018 version in NL… I think.
What is that urb version I keep finding?

https://a.aliexpress.com/tCSQ7kHDD

Yeah. I have them. Problem is that I already had to order new once twice due getting too wet #rain

Maybe try to find one second hand? Or see if some store has old stock? I think you can see the difference in the images? And if it is 2020 version what you receive you can always return them in 14 days.

I picked up a second tile pro just before christmas from Marktplaats

You did order them with plastic case? Seems pretty tight to me…

yeah I did, I also it was fine, but there are some definite oxidation traces which make them faulty sometimes… not ideal :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah, I’ll send these once back for sure, I think I found old once…
Let’s see… Is eh setup in teh app any different for the older once? Or is it still only the hidden button / turn bleutooth of on your phone to make them discovarable?

Hi @Koktail!
Would you have any interested in expanding BLE beacon support for Ruuvi Tag devices? This are beacons that broadcast environmental data such as temperature, humidity and X,Y,Z-axis motion described in their protocol document at https://github.com/ruuvi/ruuvi-sensor-protocols/blob/master/broadcast_formats.md

• Data format 3 (also known as RAWv1) and
  • Data format 5 (also known as RAWv2) are most commonly used.

This could be a beacon device not only for presence detection but add also extra value with the environmental data.

Welkom here OH2TH!

The app itself supports all discoverable beacons because the app itself does not communicate with the beacons. I’ve build the app for supporting the Xiaomi Mi Flora sensors. That took me a long time to complete due to Homey’s BLE in beta.

I’m currently working as a hobby on the app for supporting sure petcare products. I have no spare time to implement features that cost that amount of time anymore.

Thanks for your input. Seems that your setup for BLE beacons would allow additional device support on the side of the Generic BLE Device.
I’ll try to get some of my friends to look if this could be the case.

Thanks.

I have ordered 4 NRF51822 beacons from aliexpress to see if this is the right app to manage pressence in my house as our Huawei phones are impossible to use with any kind of pressence. (Huawei problem not Homey). I have connected them as mentioned above. 1 is dead at arrival and 2 of them seem to work just fine. The fourth works however evry now and then it goes offline and comes online again after a minute or so. The moment that Homey notices our arrival is just bearly at the right moment when i am in front of the house so i can set a delay for using this with heimdall. However it would be nice if it was just a few seconds earlier.The distance from homey is 6 meters with a wall in between. So i hope that if i order now some tiles this would be solved or am i wrong? I asume that 1 tile for 25 euries must give a better range than a 4 euro chinese beacon?

Before ordering these expensive tiles i would like to be sure that i am ordering the right stuff.
If i have read well it can be the Tile pro and Til mate only 2018? i also see the Tile EC pro 2018. Is this also possible to use? Looks like the difference is the replaceble batt? Can anyone advise me with this before ordering?

thanks in advance

Distance and interference off a wall are very relevant factors for BLE range, but there is also the case of “scanning” for the tiles by the Homey app. For this you can try to change the settings maybe. I can imagine that Tiles have some better power, but not sure. However, the newest Tiles do NOT work with Homey, as has been described many times on this forum. Also read the first post again of this thread!