[APP][Pro] Beacon - Detect your presence with BLE beacons

K, I will order a bunch of them

Always good to have some spare partsšŸ˜œ

1 Like

Which beacon has the longest battery life?
I have some chinese ones in use, but i need to change batteries every month and it is getting a little annoying :smiley:

Iā€™m using the tile pro (previous version) for 1.5-2 years already with the same battery.

Iā€™m not sure if the new tiles are supported already, so be carefull with that, maybe somebody can confirm here?

I have these also, but seems to disconnect somehow. Disconnect the battery and put in again makes it work again for a couple of days.
Do you recognize this behavior?

No, works ok overhere. Maybe try to re-add them?

Hi, It looks like the Beacon app v1.2.10 has a memory leak in conjunction with experimental firmware V5 RC53. I have 2 Tiles Pro 2018 attached to it. Below is the memory graph, each drop is a reboot:

Actually, I am experiencing this on 4.2.0 as well. Sometimes the app stops responding and shows a pause symbol. A restart of the app fixes it.

@Koktail care to comment?

i see similar behaviour. Memory usage goes up to +/-40MB. App is working fine though Homey (not pro) keeps working fine nevertheless over here.

When I check the memory usage, Beacon is by far the most memory intensive app. 26MB at the moment. The second app in the list only 15MB. And beacon keeps slowly growing indeed.

I give most of my apps a restart during the night every day. Keeps the usage low. For beacon eg 8.4 at the moment

Isnā€™t that actually a work-around and not a proper solution? Shouldnā€™t memory issues like this be solved by Athom or the app developer?

Fresh start now and then is always good

If your ram is tucked this full I can imagine you have problems.

Iā€™ve tried to get some insights for the memory a long time ago. But couldnā€™t found something that is related to the app directly. In the app-profiling there isnā€™t a memory leak visiable.

I think it has something to do with the Homey core that keeps track of the BLE device somehow.

@Koktail: Please put this as a known issue in the release notes, and advertise the workaround to restart the app periodically. Now people wonā€™t know why their Homey will slowly suffocate itself when memory is scarce.

I see this behaviour last night:

At 17:00 (around that time at least) the memory drops back to 20 from 27MB.

I see this behaviour more in the past, and not all those times I did restart homey or the beacon app. I almost never reboot Homey tbh.

So maybe, it grows slowly, but not unlimited? Or does the homey core or the app itself restarts the beacon app somehow?

Since October no more memory usage then 40MB, and dopping again every few days

I think the garbage collection mechanism from Homey core is cleaning up instances that arenā€™t used anymore to free up some memory.

That makes sense. But does that mean there is no actual issue?

Iā€™ll add something about that in the readme the next release. My experience is that a lot of people donā€™t want to read more about an app.

1 Like

I want to put out that i do all the work on the apps in my free time beside running a full-time job and an house renovation.

Iā€™ve invest a lot of time to make all my apps compatible to 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 and now to 5.0 and try to help everyone that has troubles or questions. I am more and more annoyed by some people that are not aware of the effort that is going into there projects.

7 Likes