[BOUNTY] - €40 - Convert existing Pioneer app to Homey 2.0

Just to verify everything works as it should.

I could telnet to 192.168.5.11 8102
With the command PO to turn it on

From my laptop

Hi there,

I tried the test-version v0.1.3 with my VSX-529 and get a device not found message.

From another project I know that port 8102 is working:
Via HA Bridge

Please let me know if I can help/support somehow.

@Dr.Snuggles
Thank you for the feedback and the screenshots! It helps a big deal to splice the issue. I think I know what the problem is for your device. If possible I will post a new test version here tomorrow.

@dENNtoet I Will also look at your logs tomorrow and see if I can see the problem there.

A new test version of the app is published, see the link in reply 33. It is a possible fix for some devices that are not found.

@dENNtoet I was not able to clearly find a possible cause of not able to turn on the device. I added some more logging in the new test version. Could you try Adding the device while ON, turning the device OFF using remote or Homey. Check whether the on/off button in homey stays disabled (for a few minutes) and power the device again using Homey remote. Hopefully I can see some usefull information in the new log.

1. Removed previous device
  2. Removed previous test version
  3. Device was already on
  4. Installed new version

When adding, device was found. When added device showed up with a red! When clicking on it, it says: Homey.log is not a Function.

Noticed the ip address was empty, when filling it manually the Error stayed.

A new test version is published. There was a logging problem in the last version. Hopefully, now it is correct. (I am not able to test it at this moment).

@dENNtoet please try the above again.

I also temporarily relaxed the rules of finding a device. Which means that it is possible more devices are found that are not even Pioneer devices. I want to see whether the Pioneer VSX-527/529 are found now and look at the logs on whats different.

1 Like

While adding device:
Cannot read property name from null

VSX933 device not found
i do find a telnet connection on port 23. not on 8102
i do find a webserver on port 8080 however description.xml gives: The requested url ‘http://10.0.0.127:8080/description.xml’ was not found.

i do find some kind of setup page on port 80. however no further information.

Published new test version. @dENNtoet Hopefully you can add your device again now. And probably you will see your philips tv as device as well if no errors occur because of it. Otherwise, I have to do some test myself when I am home again in a few days. Because I need the data to see why some devices are not found.

@Stefan_Wempe I am not sure whether VSX933 is supported with my app. Because I cannot find it in the list with supported devices for the iControlAV5 app. Did you run some telnet commands to verify whether they work? As per 2016 Onkyo and Pioneer fused as result the interface changed. However, the interface mostly is the same for those brands. I suppose this app will work for you.

With the old app from Marco Klooster I could (even when the app was outdated and all the other functions didnt work anymore) turn it on and off…

So maybe that would help you by looking just at the code on that bit?

@dENNtoet the old app is built up very different, so it is not really possible to use a lot of that. The problem is that it works with my device and the logs do not cover the piece I need somehow. However, I estimated probable causes and uploaded a new test version. Hopefully it is solved now or we can catch the right part of the log.

Unfortunately still the same. I can turn it off via homey but can’t turn it on. Not connected with device.

Weird thing just happened… I just noticed the receiver went on after like X minutes passed by while i was making the forum post and sending the logs to you. But now i can’t turn it off again, not connected with device

Update… Just turned it on via the app…

Do you have some sort of time out? Because when I turn it off and turn it on again it does not work… But it seems with some time in between it does work…

When turning the device off. The app Will disconnect with the device (even when network stand-by is enabled, so it does not give too many problems when network stby is disabled). It takes some time for the pioneer to give the port free. But that’s less than 100ms. When turning the device on, the app reconnects to the port, waits 100ms and sends the ON command. You should not notice the delay… but apparently you do. I do not see this problem with my device.

Also, turning on and off the device very fast will result in a device malfunction. In that case a red light will appear and no commands from remote or telnet are received anymore until manual reboot.

Hi Rinze,

im a Friend of DENNtoet and also in the bounty,
for his vsx 528 the app is working, but for the vsx 527 wich i have, it doens’t.

i can’t find the device. is there a big difference between those 2?

Hi Rinze,

The vsx 527 is added and works, but also with the delay.

@dENNtoet & @ThomasH I looked at the latest logs and this time I saw the part where de device is reconnecting. What I see is that the your device is not correctly disconnecting from the Telnet conncection. Normally you can send an end package after which the connection ends normally. This happens with my device. Your device somehow does not respond to the end package and in such way the app is still waiting for disconnecting before allowing reconnection again. I think the delay you see is aprox. 5 minutes after turning off the device for the first time. Because there is a fail safe that monitors whether there is no connection at all (for example due to network instability). When the fail safe acts the Telnet connection is forced to close. The ON command which was waiting for a reconnection is now able to send. So to clarify my theory it does not matter when the ON command is given after an OFF command it waits until 5 minutes are elapsed from the moment of the OFF command.

So compared to the app of Marco, this is also the point my app differs. So, instead of friendly closing the Telnet connection I am now forcing it to be closed after an Off command. I hope this is indeed the solution for you guys.

The test version 1.8 is online now.

@Rinwinte it works now without delay!
So only the source selection left right?

Great!

First thing will be the source selection. Besides, I believe there still are some issues left. I have to adjust the device discovery a little bit to filter out some non Pioneer devices. And read some problems with volume Scaling.

Do you have this volume problem as well? With normal settings the slider should range -80.0 dB to -25.0dB. My maximum level is +12.0dB, which is possible with the app by changing the setting.

There are a few options left that can be integrated into the app if enough interest. I Will post a list with options after the source selection is integrated to check the interests.