Building a New House - Is Homey a Good Fit?

ehh

1 Like

I can confirm that the Walli Switch is a double switch. Just installed it in my house and it has 2 outputs that can be controlled.

1 Like

Yes, I have also confirmed and I am now lean to put 35 of those in my new home, instead of normal switches + fibaro in-wall device.

Are you using homey or have you gone with a different system now?

As I have decided to go to the home Center 2 (or whatever it may be leased until then), I really wish that Homey would create a light hub to fully integrate with Fibaro Home Center and work as secundary hub to control all other devices.

Maybe you can get one used somewhere :wink:

1 Like

Small side-question, though related to the topic: what is the best domotica brand/standard to go with a new house?

I currently have my house controlled with homey and mostly z-wave devices. But we are looking at building a new house. Would you still go for z-wave or would you use a wired standard like KNX, Digitalstrom, Loxone,ā€¦

I would like to hear your tips or recommendations!

If you choose Homey, buy at least a Homey Pro.

I have a Homey, with apps and about 15 zigbee, 55 z-wave, and additional lights via ikea gateway (about 12 devices), a doorbell, and in all rooms Tado knops. Smart meter and solar panels. Future is adding 4 windows screens outside using qubino. Absolutly no speech, no google or amazon shit ( security issues). And a upsses on locations to keep home automation, wifi and internet running when a fuse is blown or power outage.

For in wall I use Qubino, for powerplugs I use neo coolcam and for security I use the Sensitive strips. Addtional there is a Synology with some cameraā€™s and a Doorbird doorbell with bell and Tado as heating system. And some other devices in small numbers.

Presence done by using the Tado app on our phones and a pinpad with nfc tags as backup.

All integrated in the Homey, using alarm and heating, works ok, somethimes fails, but that is often due to many things on my Homey (not a Pro), a resource problem in memory and cpu.
I even wonder if the Homey Pro will be powerfull enough to fullfill my real needs.

On the side I now have a Pi3 with mqtt and node-red, to take over some work (work in progress). Looking for some actions to a Pi with Modbus and digital input/outputs.

So, I use it for a 4floor house, have my wife and me and unregular guests, using it for automation, alarm and heating. CO2 and smoke is via Nest Protects, independend, but connected to homey for information.

Which wired standard would you suggest? There are so many, and not everyone plays nice with Homey.

If I build a new home I definitely would go wired, something like Niko Home control, Maybe a Hue Bridge .Homey is nice can support Al kinds of things but if you plan it right you donā€™t need all those protocolā€™s, just one . KNX is a world standaard for Dominica. Maybe look into that to.
But I definitely would go wired in a yet to build home.

And I would like to add that a lot of apps are made by community development, if they decide to stop support then your done.
Also some apps made by athom, like the Hue app donā€™t support all if any Friends of Hue devices.
Support for all those different devices with different standards is almost impossible to do, but some should be a priority for them.
Donā€™t get me wrong I like my Homey, but as add on, for my lights I have the Hue Bridge, for my heating system I use the Honey well controller. I do have flows running but as I said a secondary stearing.
Good luck !

1 Like