Homey Community Forum

Can´t add any new Zigbee devices

Hi
I have 23 Zigbee devices, 5 Ikea Plugs direct connected to Homey and 18 Battery devices. The routing working so far but suddenly I can´t add new devices. I have tried with Ikea plugs and Aqara temp units.
When i start the pairing on Homey and set the unit it pairing mode nothing happens. I tried with several plugs and temp devices both as generic Zigbee device and thru Ikea and Aqara app.
But can´t get any response from the pairing.
The units that´s are added before is still working fine.
Do anyone have a guess what to do ?
I had restart Homey but haven’t reset Zigbee, and don´t want to do that.

Are the new devices ‘new new’. Maybe they have new Id’s which are not yet known by the Homey app.

If you look at Advanced Settings and check the ProductID, DeviceID and ProfileID of your currently working device and the same new device. Sometimes vendors make new versions that get new IDs

For example:

I have tried with both new new and older devices that I haven’t been using for a while. I will check the ID later today.

Not the first and for not the last with this. Guess a few 100 topics about it :wink:

Should be solved when the zigbee rewrite is done… and please dont asked when its done :rofl:

For more info… try the search

1 Like

The 20-device limit is a hardware limitation, not a software limitation, so it won’t be solved with the Zigbee rewrite.

Instead, some careful planning of your Zigbee network might be necessary, which may require a reset, or at least removing some of the already-paired battery-powered devices to make room for more (always-on) router devices.

That way, a proper Zigbee mesh can form and new devices will be routed through one of the router devices instead of connecting to Homey directly (which also means that if possible, add new devices from their final location instead of having them close to Homey during pairing).

After adding (one or more) router devices, allow for the network to settle, which may take about 10, 15 minutes, before adding battery-powered devices.

3 Likes

Thats why i have 32 zigbee devices conneted in the past, for testing and yes it did work :rofl::rofl::rofl:

All directly connected to Homey as controller devices (and not through router devices)? Because that’s the issue: Homey’s hardware has a limit of 20 directly connected devices. That doesn’t mean you can have only 20 Zigbee devices being managed by Homey in total, it means that when 20 of those devices use Homey as their “parent”, you can’t add any more devices to Homey directly anymore. Exactly what OP is experiencing.

So with

I assume he means connect with homey instead of using another bridge.

Yes, so some battery devices are being routed through the plugs instead of being connected directly to Homey. And Homey isn’t accepting new devices being connected to it directly, which very likely means that it has reached its 20-device limit and the only thing to try now it to try and pair new devices as far away from Homey as possible, making them try to pair through an existing router device instead.

Try This app
I have added a lot of Phillips hue

I’m in the same boat. I have 23 devices including 2 innr SP120 routers, but I can’t add more. 2 devices are routed trough the routers, the rest direct. I also really don’t feel like resetting the network and have to re-add everything and fix all the flows. With 2 routers it should be possible to have 60 devices…

In an ideal situation perhaps, but Homey cannot enforce devices to use routers. You need more router devices if you want build a proper mesh, which means that you probably need to remove at least some existing (battery-operated) devices from Homey first before you can add more routers to the network.

i must be lucky for once. i have 18 devices now and only to are NOT connected thru a router. So i hope i can add some more :slight_smile:

(I have no issues with zigbee…) But more of curiosity, how did you pair your devices? At the final place where you want them to be? Did you move around your Homey?

i started with the routers. 4X innr lightbulps and 4X ikea light bulps. After a few months later i added some of the end devices. So yes i had i nice network before adding some of the switches enz. And i must say that also the range of the end devices is great. Don’t have a uge home but nevertheless the range is just fine. The only one thats giving problems is the temp sensor in the fridge.

And the end devices, did you pair them close to Homey or at their final place?

To be fair, I am not quit sure. But I think both