Can we have a real Homey Pro please

Yeah, but they started with that before the sports cars…:stuck_out_tongue: And then the farmers asked if they could make them a bit more fashionable… :smile:
You can still plow a field with those horse powers and wide tires btw… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I believe @Eivind_Bo means he wants Homey to be in the shape of a black box, so it would be more interesting to be used by professionals.

I just don’t think Athom had that in mind when designing Homey.

If that is the case, he should take a look at the case mod topic. Then he can print the square box in every color he wants… :stuck_out_tongue:

If this was meant to be for professionals then Homey would not exist anymore by now.

@Eivind_Bo Have a look at: Homey Case Mod

Note just professionals, me too. I dont put Homey any place visible anyway. Its not very placement friendly. I want a box 15x15x5cm with antennas on the back, a rj45 connector as a minimum, please :slight_smile:

1 Like

Then take some action if it is that important. Follow the advice and print the case yourself. Add the antenna’s and drill out space for an RJ45 connector and the problem is solved. Everything you want in one afternoon.

Can i add cabled network to Homey hw?

No!

No, of course not. But you will have a black box with antenna’s and an RJ45 connection then…

@Eivind_Bo I totally agree and know where you are coming from. I have asked Athom the same thing, particularly when the “Pro” (dont know how they can call it this) came out. It is not Professional integrator friendly. A Ethernet connection is a must. The Pro is just in my opinion Homey version 2.
Homey will always be just a DIY smart home hub. Athom have no ambitions to launch this into the professional marketplace. No square enclousure or din rail mountable option, no ethernet or POE (this would be the best) option and no great power or ram specs. You will either have to live with it as it is, or look for another Hub. Nor will they allow a licenced software alternative to load onto a more powerful machine.
I have used this Hub in a few installations, but usually only small homes and units, dont go bigger. We dont have even the Pro available here so make do with the basic model. The wifi only connection is painful, as is the shape if you are trying to mount this out of the way and hidden. But the biggest issue you will face is the bad zwave range. Add a powered zwave device within 2 metres and you should be okay. Overall, they have proven reliable and reasonable fast, just be sure you first upgrade your clients wifi network. This is usually our first point of failure.
As one of the other guys mentioned, you can cannibalize the Homey and create your own box as i did, but this isn’t a good idea if you wish to install these professionally on a large scale. As you void your warranty.
Pretty much all these guys here are DIY’ers, who have just one or two installed at home. They develop these great apps in their own time for free, so you wont get any support here for a real Professional version, I know, I’ve asked before. :slight_smile: And Athom themselves think the current architecture is enough.

1 Like

I really really wonder why a professional implementer would ever decide to use a consumer model (which is still in development) for his professional business. And then (after a few years, months?) blame the company that sells it that they don’t have a professional controller. Why did you use it in the first place then?
In my opinion this says more about the mind of business then about the strategy of Athom. At least their strategy is very clear. Seems that the business plan lacked a professional view on what controller should have been used.

1 Like

https://homeseer.com/

Homey is still in development phase? Can you point me to where it states that on the box or website? I am sure many customers would like to know this and would think twice about purchasing Homey if this is so.
Many Smart Hubs like Homey, such as Fibaro, Vera, Zipato, Smartthings and Homeseer etc are being used by professional installers to create affordable smart home solutions for consumers. I am sorry you think there is only a professional installer market for expensive systems, or that every consumer should have the knowledge to install these Smart Hubs themselves. This says more about your opinions then a companies business focus and consumers needs.
I dont blame Athom for anything, I simply wish they would create a Pro version that was truely worthy of being called a pro product. And wish to empathise that there are many more individuals out there who love the ability and simplicity of the Homey Hub but would like to see a better version that is more compliant with intergrators. It would help sales for Athom immensely if more integrators were pushing this Hub. But the current features just dont stack up for a integrator.

3 Likes

If that’s the way you want to do business in a “professional” matter, good luck. I myself would go for a more stable and mature system. Less management, less trouble and more happy customers. Unless my business plan would be based on earning more money because customers pay for every time they need support if it doesn’t work as expected…

I get the feeling some people want to buy a Saab and ask Saab to make it look like and function like a Tesla.

2 Likes

I would also like a pro / nerdy version without fancy lights and a shiny housing and with a RJ45 port.

My homey is located in my (don’t know the english word) fuse box closet?? (meterkast in dutch)

1 Like

@PetervdK Whilst I really enjoy the personal attack on my and Eivnd’s choice of business plan, can you tell me your experience this profession?
Also, you may want to inform Athom that you think their Hub is not suitable for integrators, as this is exactly what they are promoting. https://homey.app/en-us/wiki/homey-for-installers/
You narcissistic comments are what drives users and would be installers away from a platform. With no real value added input, just personal slags on users. As this menu suggests, it for “Ideas and Suggestions” as Eivind asked. We, as many others would like to see some hardware advances to make this Homey Hub even better and more appealing to Integrators. We dont need your “experienced” opinion on our business model or our customers needs, nor an Athoms goals and ambitions.
Eivind and I, as do other would-be installers want to provide the best experience for our customers, and if this is using a Homey Hub, I think we have a right to ask others of their opinions on this, and suggest some improvements from our experiences. I dont see you suggesting anything worthwhile.
I am upset you got me into this rant @PetervdK. I enjoy the Homey Hub, both personally and as a business in supplying and installing it. It is a great little Hub. But more important than anything else, integrators need to know a products shortcomings too. No product is perfect. And in life you get what you pay for. Our clients know this. They are not paying for a 50K+ Savant or Control4 system.
On top of this I enjoy this community and the moderators who moderate this of their own volition, and I hope they soon remove all these all posts. @Jamie do all of us a favour please.
I hope your unwarranted comments dont put of other would-be installers or integrators for this great little product and platform.

2 Likes

Just take a look at the topic title: “Can we have a REAL Homey please?”. You call that a serious request to Athom? I see that more as a derogatory sneer towards them.

As I interpret it, TS is not convinced of Homey’s professionalism and apparently sees it more as a toy or something. And that is why, really seriously, I wonder why such a person uses Homey in his professional business (as he puts it, not me).

Then you apparently feel addressed and you jump in with your leg straight and now I am the one who attacks you personally and drags you into a rant?

Apparently someone else should not have an opinion about this and certainly should not share it…

Very strange. But glad I’m not the only one who finds this strange.

1 Like

Can we have a real homey PRO i wrote :wink: Nit just a real homey like your comment. And i mean that, the new homey is nice, but its not a pro. I like Homey, i just dont like the form factor and only Wifi. Thanks @adrianliteauto :wink:

1 Like