Can we have a real Homey Pro please

Whatever way you say it, it still sounds like: Hey Mazda, i like your brand, but i just don’t like your latest model. I think it’s not an improvement nor a real car, so build one that is, else i won’t buy 100-1000 of them.

Every system has advantages and disadvantages. Homey has many advantages over other systems, but one crucial disadvantage is the lack of a LAN. Of course it would be even more attractive for many with LAN. I would buy a new one for that.

5 Likes

I feel like I am going to regret this but out of curiosity.

What exactly is the problem with the current Wifi implementation? A 2Ghz wifi network can support speeds from 200-400 Mbit/s. What would a a 100 Mbit/s LAN solve?

I have a TV, Netflix, Amazon Alexa, Sound System, Computers, Mobile Devices … none of which have a LAN access point. Hell I don’t remember the last time I had a Laptop with a wired connector. What exactly about a wired solution makes it ‘pro’?

Don’t misunderstand me, Im not arguing that Homey is Pro or what could make it ‘pro’. I just honestly dont understand people saying RJ45 connectors make it ‘better’ … To me it just sounds antiquated, like please ensure that my mobile phone can be connected to a RJ11 cable …

I’m genuinely interested/confused in what you think the use case is for this.

Just a first/final warning, if this goes ‘off-topic’ or becomes toxic it will be immediately closed. Lets all be open, respectful and constructive

2 Likes

Specifically with Homey, WiFi seems very unstable. I think it’s the main reason why lots of people get “Homey Offline” messages when in fact their Homey is running fine.

But on the WiFi vs wired debate: in crowded areas, WiFi performance may suffer. Theoretically you can get that 200-400Mbps, but if there are lots of networks around (I used to live in a place where my laptop could easily detect dozens of WiFi access points), performance degrades quickly. Especially since most of those networks are on the 2.4Ghz band, so even though I run my main devices on 5Ghz, Homey (and a few others) only support 2.4.

Also, a pro device is typically not an eye catcher and gets tucked away in a closet or something, where WiFi also isn’t optimal.

So for some people, a wired solution is preferable over a wireless one.

1 Like

I am pro for a homey with more power and a wired network connection, they must have put some effort in how the homey next will function

2 Likes

For me I see a home automation hub as a part of the infrastructure in the house rather than a device I normally have any direct physical interaction with.
Things like that I prefer to wire up and place out of sight. Plug in the ethernet cable and away we go with minimal hassle. In my case, if it’s stationary and have an ethernet jack, I use it (TV, STB, HTPC, AVR, BD etc). The same would have applied for my Homey even if I don’t have any major issues with the WiFi other than the rare “Homey is offline”.
Personally I don’t consider Homey a sensible product for professional installers, it’s not aimed at that niche, and I do see the point in having an eye catching, visually pleasing device for the consumer market. But if you for whatever reason prefer not to have it on display in the room, the spherical form factor is hardly optimal.

Wired means more stable, more reliable and safe (r) than wifi. Wireless means it per definition is more susceptible to interference from other devices.

Note: in the building automation world, we even don’t want to use the (wired!) standard office network for M2M communication. No interference from other devices please.

I don’t feel like anyone (perhaps other then Rob) are taking the time to look at the situation with honest reflection of the current state of home automation generally.

Lets just take a step back for a moment, first as I mentioned -

Basically every single (modern) smart home device is wireless :

• TV
  • Radio
  • Neflix
  • Sonos
  • Vacuum cleaners
  • Air diffuser
  • Heaters / Fans / Coolers
  • Washers / Dryers/ Fridges
  • Laptops

Every single modern Smart Home voice is wireless :

• Alexa
  • Google
  • Siri

You have bought a device so that you can add addition smart home devices every single one

• Contact Senors
  • Motion Sensors
  • Temperature Sensors
  • Vibration Sensors
  • 6 in 1 Sensors
  • Power Meters
  • Smart Switches
  • Smart Dimmers
  • Lights

Every single one runs on wireless technology either Zigbee/Zwave/RF/IR/2Ghz none of them are wired.

So you buy a device to join all these wireless technologies together … and then yell about how with out a wired connection its ‘not sensible’ ‘not pro’.

To recap the three most talked about issues -

1. You want old technology (LAN) added to it
  2. Everyone knows that pro devices are black
  3. Its going to be in a cupboard where no one can see it so it should be square

So a $20 wifi bridge and the shape and colour are what is stopping you buying thousands of units, I dont get it, perhaps I never will.

Again, I am not saying that Homey is ‘pro’ and I think there are many improvements that could be made. However wired/colour/shape wouldn’t even make it into my top ten feature requests.

Full disclosure I had issues with Homeys Wifi connection, so I installed a mesh wifi, not the device is hidden behind the cooke jar in my pantry next to my mircowave. (along to the Hue/Flick/Broadlink/TPLink) and rock solid.

5 Likes

That is the reason! And I speak from very annoying and long-winded experience until I found the mistake. There are also many who turn off their wifi at night. In other words, what speaks against your own commercially available adapter, like at homee?

1 Like

What good central/Bridge are there without lan? Are they all out of date? Lan is state of the art!

1 Like

My Tv and bluesound streamer also has Lan. Only wifi on Homey is sufficient for me, but for the best experience for everybody it would be better that Homey, as your central hub, also has Lan.

1 Like

And this only shows wifi, not all other devices using this band…

3 Likes

A few reasons. Latency, a data package tankes longer time from a to b with Wifi vs cable. A cable you can plug in and it works, Wifi requires config. Today you might have a Wifi in a house, then they get a new Wifi box from isp and new ssid: cool12xp66 with pass blabla123new78. Many just use what they get and dont change. Homey is disabled… With a cable, just plug ut in, dhcp, boom its back. Nuff said!

2 Likes

inteference is a separate issue, we all have to many wifi-channel products in our homes, therefor cable is to prefer! Just to be clear, Homey Pro is not good enough, and not what I consider within a “pro” product familiy! How hard can it be to add an ethernet port?

1 Like

Adding an Ethernet port is not a problem. In fact, it is very easy. Drill a hole, cut it to the the right dimensions and add an Ethernet female port.
But to get it working is the challenge. Change the hardware, design everything from scratch, testing it, etc etc… I think the business case is not going to make it, costwise.

The simple solution is add a driver for an USB ethernet adapter. Google sells something similar for Chromecast. I’d pay for that in a second as an accessory.

You make it sound soooo easy. I guess if it really was that easy and cheap, Athom would have done it already. :innocent:
But i think you are ignoring what it will cost to make the design changes and rewriting the software. :thinking: :slight_smile:

Hahaha Henk Wissenburg :wink: :wink:

1 Like

Well, should of course been included on release, not a question after v.5!

So, a new model with “real” pro specs! Also, get rid of the cheap chinese plastic, make a solid metal case with external antennas, gives a pro looks and range! Yeah, we know what an athom looks like, my 4-year old son thinks the Homey Pro ball is funny, really pro!

1 Like

And how would that get rid of the costs involved? They disappear magically if you include it in a release?

I think the business case will never last. How much do you want to invest for a few extra buyers (that will never be satisfied and will always demand more without paying for it or else threaten to switch to another solution on every occasion)?