Chromecast flow

I want to make flow for the chromecast video.

So if chromecast is casting (playing) a video, then it has to start another flow called “film kijken” (which I all ready made)

I am trying to figure this one, but I can’t exactly get it right.

If a device is playing is not a trigger (when) but a condition (and). So you would need a “when chromecast starts playing” as a trigger which isn’t there. Or you would need a condition : “when chromecast is playing” with a timed trigger (every x minutes/seconds). Maybe connect a plug on your chromecast-powerplug and act on that?

Chromecast does have a tag that s called “playing” (the top one see screenshot) so you could make a flow based on a chaged contition of that flag

Can u give us an example of a flow then? With a trigger that Chromecast started playing?

Not in FW2.0 with Chromecast 3.1.4 ? There’s only tis tag for a condition:
afbeelding

Problem is I can’t make a flow how I want it. So I am looking for a work around. Maybe a ifttt thing, but also there i could not figure out how and what.

The flow must have a layout more or less like this.

If chromecast is playing/casting then start flow “film kijken”

But as I see this now I probably have to make several flow in order to get what i want.

Didn’t manage to use the tag ‘playing’ which is possible to find under ‘And’. My workaround is to have a plug with power meter connected to the receiver (!) which turns on when the hdmi signal turns on. Not maybe the most beautiful solution but it works just fine.

1 Like

I’m actually looking for a solution for this myself.

Scenario:

• I use an app on my phone to watch tv (Yugo from Telenet)
  • I have an Nvidia Shield connected to my TV to which I cast my tv show/movie.

I would like to be able to automatically dim the lights/change color when I start watching something and turn the lights back up when I pause or stop watching.

I tried using the “playing” tag while watching something, but it did not return the expected result. Feels like that only works when it’s playing something which is being casted by the chromecast app on Homey itself instead of a general “is something playing on this chromecast enabled device”.
I also tried searching for an IFTTT flow, but no luck so far.
I also cannot use a power meter as my Nvidia Shield is also used to play games/watch youtube/listen to Spotify/etc

Anyone got any ideas?

1 Like

There’s actually a blog on athom website giving an example of using it as a trigger, but there seems to be a problem with reproduction of this example. I Made a topic of this in Dutch forum. For the example in the blog see this screenshotimage

I’ve seen the same problem, I don’t have the options (Netflix) as shown in the blog. After removing all chromecast devices, removing and reinstalling the app and devices I did get more options (still no Netflix).

I tried casting Netflix (by asking Google) and after that i checked the list again. Netflix immediatly popped up

1 Like

I can confirm this, after you cast Netflix to Your chromecast Netflix also pops up as a choice

So I have an Android TV (which is a chromecast enabled device). Whenever I cast Netflix to my TV, the flows ‘Casting started’ do trigger. However, when I use my remote control, start the netflix app and play something this flow does not trigger.

Has anyone found a way to have flows triggered based on netflix being started by the remote control?

That will indeed will not work with Homey’s chrome cast app as the Netflix app on your android TV device has nothing to do with chromecast but is just a totally different app.

It looks like it’s the same app that’s started when I cast Netflix from my phone. Any other ideas on how to trigger flows when starting Netflix with my remote?

It isn’t though, just the layout that is the same the app itself used on your android TV device is different.

Chromecast is literally just sending an url to the chromecast app of the android TV device. And will not use the Netflix app.
The Netflix app itself on your android TV device is really an app of Netflix itself, and has nothing to do with chromecast, and works fully independent.

So you’ll need and Homey android TV app, or an Homey Netflix app (the later will never happen) to be able to do that.