Chromecast issues after last update.. (beta)

You’d have to request the developer of the app to add those cards.

Still having the issue even with the latest beta.
When I reboot the app every device becomes available.

1 Like

Hello all,

I have following issue with chromecast app:

I am using the “play audio URL” card and when the URL is provided directly to the card it works (audio is played), but when the URL is provided as a variable it doesn’t (nothing is played).

• I tried both with betterLogic and Homey variables

Anybody tried such a scenario?

@piotro

I tried it with an url in a logic variabele Qmusic (https://icecast-qmusicnl-cdp.triple-it.nl/Qmusic_nl_live_96.mp3) and it works.
So maybe the url you are providing is not okay, or need a little delay on the cast url so you definitely sure that the url is set in the variabele

Try adding a delay to the second card (the one using the variable). Actions are always started concurrently (at the same time), not sequentially (one after the other).

Thank you guys for your input! I found the problem (strange one) when I realized (unfortunatelly not fast enough) that the only difference between our screenshots is the flow editor type.

I tried all the things listed below… but then thought maybe I should try one more thing: to create a flow on a mobile app… and it worked.

When I created a flow using a Web flow editor it behaves strangely, like described below.

I am using chrome web browser and wanted to check if maybe it is the root cause, but on internet explorer the flow editor does not work at all. :hushed:

The “direct” URL works good:

But this is still silent: (The chromecast device gives a signal that it received a command.)

I tried it different ways and everything failed:

• on 3 chromecast devices
  • setting TestString with a Logic set string card.
  • setting TestString manually on Logic setting page.
  • restarting Homey
  • reinstalling Chromecast app
  • using http and https
  • creating new flow each time
  • at the end I tried to create flow on mobile :smirk:

BTW. small off-top: I found some difficulties in working on Web flow editor with variables. Especially with calculations.

• In the calculation when the variable is added after the string the whole calculation fails.
    It also fails, when I want to edit the calculation and repace the variable…
    For instance if I want to replace any variable in this calculation I need to create it from scratch, otherwise it will fail with no (empty) result.

• second thing is during selecting variables and trying to type anything in search field. The whole window dissapears, which is quite annoying as I need to look for a variable scrolling the whole list.

Have you encountered this kind of web flow editor behaviour?

I’m losing my mind with this stupid chromecast crap. Will there ever be a stable version?!
This is the only thing that doesn’t work on my homey, but pretty much the most essential.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HOMEY, FIX THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL

I have done anything above, direct URL, flow starts, Chromecast gives a “hello i am recieving something sound” and no mp3 sounds… I hope someone can help me with this.

I have exactly the same problem. Makes the received command noise, no MP3. I can send the URL to the Chromecast using Home Assistant no problems (which is my reluctant workaround - Homey requests HA to start streaming)

I really hope this gets resolved

I have also experienced the above mentioned problems. Replacing the TuneIn stations with audio URL’s serves as a workaround.

When is the next update of the chromecast app planned? I hope it will fix the issues, because Chromecast is an important part of the automation!

Sidenote: for newbie users it is strange to have flowcards that don’t work.

That would indeed be awesome. Asked Athom for this, they replied:

"You can create another flow that does this with some variables. We do not give support on Flows itself, unfortunately.

The best thing to do is to post your case on our community forum. There are a lot of people who love to help and probably have good examples for you.

I hope this information does serve your request. "

I’ve got a JBL Link (with google assistant en cast function).
I can connect it to homey and it works fine just like al my other google home devices.
Only after two days ore so it get disconnected in Homey.

It is working when I say oke google. More people have this problem?

1 Like

Are you still facing Chromecast disconnecting until app get restarted, naturally with static IPs?

New poster in this thread, but yes I’m having such problems, and have been for the entire time I’ve owned my Homey.

Posted this message on Slack a few hours ago:

Chromecast… :rage:
Great feature in theory, but extremely unstable, at least for me.
Does anyone know if Athom are working on improving the app?
Any of the devs that can contact me? I want to help testing etc.
Image shows (L) not working in Homey, ® working in Google Home.
So the device is online and working, problem has to be in Homey/app.
App was restarted last night (and every night).
Chromecast is on fixed IP address.
What else can I do…?

Link to Slack post:
https://athomcommunity.slack.com/archives/C04E9KJAD/p1592745931456700?thread_ts=1592745931.456700&cid=C04E9KJAD

I still have loosing connection with google hub too. :frowning: restartin app helps but not a solution for crap app.

i’ve had a lot of problems to with the chromecast’s. But after i bought a new router (Netgear R7800) i don’t lost connection anymore. So it look like it is a wifi issue

Same here, since I’ve added an access point closer to the Nest Hub, no problems anymore

Chrome cast not working any more!
Some news for an update (improvement)

Chromecast app seems to need some attention. I have 10 devices and it is a rare day when at least 2 don’t have a red triangle. Also trying to cast an audio file rarely works.
That said Spotify is probably a bigger problem

One out of three today with red triangle. Smth not correct.