Controls ceiling fan with fibaro dimmer ? (or any other way by Homey )

Hi

In our new place I want to install some ceiling fans because we a big height difference, a lot of heat is cumulating in the top, and with the use of ceiling fans I want to bring down the warm air so we can save on heating (costs).

I would love to set this up in homey so that when I have a certain temperature difference in the top and on the bottom of the room, the ceiling fan kicks in. I have difficulty to find a solution that works with homey

I was thinking of using a fibaro dimmer 2 to regulate the fan speed, but I find a lot of conflicting info about this. I contacted the manufacturer and they told me it was impossible, but I recon they only advise their standard (rf or hardwired) solution. I am not electrically savy enough to understand what the difference is between a dimmer like the fibaro2 and the rf set the manufacturer uses , https://www.ithodaalderop.nl/sites/default/files/documents/montagevoorschrift20rf20pvd.pdf

I have looked at the solution RobbShop offers ( can’t post more then 2 links ) but it seems to me that it differs because the module is used to controll a 0-10 V controller, and not a fan running on 230V

I also found some Zwave fan controllers in the US, but they all run on US wave and on 110V

the other solution would be use the standard RF controller from Itho / or a generic one from aliexpress ( no links allowed)
and try to find some way to have homey communicate with this directly, but I haven’t found an app for this yet.

any thoughts / help would be greatly appreciated !

1 Like

I was unable to put more then 2 links
so link to vent axia : https://www.vent-axia.com/range/hi-line-plus-ceiling-sweep-fans
link to generic RF https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Universal-Wireless-Ceiling-Fan-Lamp-Remote-Controller-Kit-Timing-for-Ceiling-Fan-Incandescent-LED-energy-saving/32899168142.html

Hi Job,
You won’t be able to control the speed of an AC fan with Fibaro Dimmer or any other dimmer. At least not proportional. The Fibaro dimmer is PWM (pulse width modulation), you could potentially kill the fan motor if you use such dimmer.

You can control the speed of an AC fan using a fan capacitor. A dual capacitor (3 wires) will give you three set speeds: low, medium and high. The controllers from your links above (Aliexpress and Vent-axia) give you the same three set speeds by using the very same principle, a dual capacitor.
So you need to buy one of this: https://www.banggood.com/CBB61-1_5uF2_5uF-3-WIRE-250VAC-Ceiling-Fan-Capacitor-3-Wires-p-1261375.html?cur_warehouse=CN
which works with your 230V AC fan.
Have an electrician install it for you!!!

I have an AC fan and a 3 wire capacitor. I use two Fibaro dual relay (FGS-222) to control the fan. Low, Medium, Fast and Stop.
The two dual relay gives 4 outputs. Three outputs I use for Low, Medium, High and the fourth is the control output which is wired nowhere, only using the switch input.
Then a series of flows switching in a sequence between the three speeds and stop with a bit of Better Logic help.
Let me know if you want to see those flows and a drawing of the circuit :grinning:

P.S. I have plenty of space behind the switch to fit the capacitor and the two dual relays as all walls are made of plaster. But maybe your house is all concrete walls with just a small box for every wall switch… then maybe fit the above devices somewhere in the ceiling fan.

Dear dan

Thank you for your detailed reply ! That was the info I was looking for.

If you would be sokind to even share your diagrams and flows, I would be very interested, that would be a great starting point for us .

Hi Job,
Below the flows I use to control my ceiling fan. I will post later on an electrical diagram, too
Back in the old Athom forum someone posted a similar solution and that’s where I got inspired from. You can probably use less flows by using other methods and maybe other forum member can give other ideas, or you can optimise the below yourself.

I used the following apps:

• Countdown (I created a countdown called MBed S2 timer, give it whatever name you wish)
  • Better Logic (I created a variable called MBed S2 of type number)
  • Virtual Devices (I created 4 VDs: MBed Fan Stop, MBed Fan Low Speed, MBed Fan Medium Speed and MBed Fan High Speed)

The reason for the VDs is because I can control the fan from other flows if I want.
I use 4 flows for Low, Medium, High and Stop which toggle the four VDs.
Then another four flows to toggle the real outputs of the 2x Double Relay units.
You can use only the first 4 flows and control the outputs of the double relay direct, again I prefer the VDs so I can control the fan by other means.

First flow is used to start the fan at low speed:

Remember from my previous post, one output of the one of Double Relay is not wired anywhere, I just use it as When condition. The corresponding S2 of this particular output, is wired into a momentary switch (wiring diagram to follow in another post).
So, when momentary switch pressed, output Turned on, AND variable MBed S2 is equal 0, THEN Turn on VD MBed Fan Low Speed, AND set variable MBed S2 to 1, AND Start countdown timer MBed S2 timer from 10 seconds, AND turn off after 1 second the above output (the one connected to nowhere)
The reason I turned it off is so it can be ready to be turned on again for the next operation.

Second flow is used to get the fan at medium speed:

This flow only works if the momentary switch is pressed before the countdown timer runs out (within 10 seconds) This is because if for example I set the fan to low and leave it there, I then probably prefer later on to Stop the fan without having to go through all the cycle low-medium-high and finally stop. This is the same for Medium speed.
So, when I press the button, the “nowhere” output turn on AND variable MBed S2 is equal with 1, AND countdown timer MBed S2 timer is still running (so the 10sec time has not elapsed) THEN turn off VD MBed Fan Low Speed AND turn off VD MBed Fan Medium Speed AND turn off VD MBed Fan High Speed AND set variable MBed S2 to 2 and adjust countdown timer MBed S2 timer back to 10 AND turn off after 1 second the above output (the one connected to nowhere)

Third flow is used to get the fan at maximum speed:

This flow is similar with the second flow, only difference is that after here I stop the countdown timer instead of adjusting it back to 10.

The fourth flow is used for stopping the fan regardless it is on low, medium or high speed, with the condition that the countdown timer is stopped.

The above only triggers the VDs. For each VD I have one flow to trigger the real output of the fan.
See below one flow for low speed, the rest are similar.

Man, this was a long post…
Hope this helps.

P.S. The above is mostly used for the good old manual control of a ceiling fan. In your case you can use two temperature sensors (top/bottom as per your post) and with a couple of flows, switch the speed of fan as required.

1 Like

@Job Here is the wiring diagram as promised, too. A bit rough, but hope it helps.

Note: Some capacitors have different colours wiring. You just have to observe their wiring diagram and match it with the above.

1 Like

Thanks for the effort and all the info ! I’ve ordered the parts and we’ll set it up this way.

@danone Just a mother quick question, I actually want to install 2 fans that both work at the same speed, is it possible to use 1 capacitor to ‘control’ them both ?

So In your diagram , I feed the L into both fans. is there a capacity of some kind I have to take into account ?

I think I will use the http://www.mcohome.com/show_list.php?id=13&sid=15 instead of the 2 fibaro units, in that way , I can do the same with only one switch.

You don’t need another capacitor if the one you select is able so handle the combined power of the two fans. In fact adding another one in parallel will get the fan spinning about twice slower on both medium and low speed. So you will have something like High, Low and very low speed.

Nice switch you found!
Unfortunately does not fit my Australian box :neutral_face:

Gidday Danone

Did you get this working. I’ve got a few 3 speed fans that I’ve been trying to work out a solution for. I found the sonoff ifan02 but I’m not sure if it will send the correct values to the fan.
I originally replaced my switches with Clipsal Saturn range and fan controllers which I had then hooked to a fibaro on/off switch but the speed selection never worked which is logical. Im keen to get the speeds working. From what I’ve read the controller sends different specific voltage or amps to the fan from the switch to control it’s speed.

Eitherway the ifan doesn’t have very good documentation so was hoping you might have worked it out?

Thanks Mate

Steve

Hey Steve,

Yes, it works like a charm. But as per my post, I am just using Fibaro relays and a dual capacitor which give me three speeds.
If you plan to get the Sonoff, then no need for the Fibaro relays.

Same here, I replaced all with Clipsal Saturn but also used the bell pushed button 60PBBL which is a momentary switch with LED rather than the normal toggle switch. Also, as per my above post, you need to use the Fibaro relay and not the Fibaro switch. The relay has dry contacts which you need if you want to control the fan like I do. The speed selection is done in between “full one mains supply” which is max speed, and the two capacitors which give me medium and low speed. Like in my drawing above.
Here is my Clipsal Saturn with LED

Hope this helps, let me know if you want more info.

Hi @Danone,

Does your setup here allow manual control if your fibaro is not connected? Does it have redundant manual control? 3 Stage Digital Output Module for AC Ceiling Fan Control I am wondering how close in functionality you got to this device with 2 relays. This 3stage switch doesn’t look overly practical as you need to also have a 24vdc power supply in the junction box. I was hoping to keep the original simple 3 speed switch on the wall and have it being functional without requiring flows, so it is interesting from that point, and allows simple human interface.

cheers.

Whereas every other single device in my house can be manually controlled, the fan is the only one which relies on Homey to be ON and working, in order to turn on the fan and switch in between the three speeds.
But since it is just a fan, I don’t have it on my list of “must manually be controlled in case Homey dies”

Yes, that device requires 24VAC or DV. That’s very inconvenient since you must fit a transformer behind the wall switch.

As per my post, using the two Fibaro relay and Homey and I achieved 3 speeds and stop. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Fair call on the fans not being available during downtime. Fans are being a real drawback in my automation plans. So expensive, yet would be one of the big money savers/motivation for climate control in house.

Cheers.