Developing a new Family iPhone App

Was trying to reinstall the app and add devices to test the app specific password or the combined pasweord and 2fa.

Got the following error.

Love the potential of this app!

Could you tell me which version you have? I think you have not the latest.

Does this work already? Like the capabilities but the 2 factor auth. makes it unusable now.

I have installed the app store version 1.0.1.

Hi, Ok, I see the next version is not approved yet. I will check if this is an issue in the latest app as well. Technically I can do the 2fa but the problem is that I need to have a popup where you can fill in this number. For the first time this could be on the settings page (need to test this) but once a while Homey/Apple drops the connection and you will need again to fill in this number and then it would be great if you have a popup in the Homey app that asks for a number. I am also not sure how often this will be. Without the 2fa the app is login automatically and you will not be bothered :slight_smile: So the APP Specific password sound nice :slight_smile: I was not aware of this.
Currently I am running the app now for 3 days (without 2fa) using the same session and not need to reconnect.

The app specific password sounds like the solution.
Thanks for this app Marcel!
Things I intend to use it for:

• Better presence
  • Set thermostat so that the closer I get to home the closer the room temp wil be set to my desired state. (what tado does automatically)
  • and a lot more probably

Hi,

I will create a new account on apple (i have an old iPhone, which I will use for this) and ask also a app-specific password. Then see if I get this to work. Apple it very protected :slight_smile: of course…
Unfortunately I do not have much time this week and weekend so it take a while :frowning: But I will do my best.

1 Like

The app-specific-password won’t work. The api that uses this is not available on nodejs (Homey). I have exchanged the current module with another one and it seems that it is not needed to use the 2fa for the FindMe module. I have updated github and submitted the app to the store (not approved yet). It is version 1.0.5.

You should get max one e-mail from apple that a login is used on your account. If this will happen every 5 minutes, remove the app as the intention is that it uses the current session. This means the connection between homey and apple is killed.

2 Likes

To give you guys an update. Unfortunately, it requires a lot of trial and error. I have to node modules that make the connection to iCloud. One of them support only the non 2fa and works great but is limited to username / password . The other seems to support 2fa but stops working after a random time from 5 minutes till 1 hour or so. So I am busy with testing and rewriting existing node_mofules which require a lot of time. So I think it takes a while before to figure out it is possible to support the 2fa part.

I hope I get it work.

3 Likes

Could be handy

Hi all,

I spend already around 60 hours to get this app working stable with Apple. It is a lot of research and this cost me to must time. The difficult is also that different home networks have different behaviours. I will remove the app from the app store because for an inexperienced user this app has too much risk to be ban from Apple. I will leave the code on github so in case you want to try or improve the code you are more than welcome.

1 Like

Thanks for your effort. It had A lot of potential.
Anyway i go back using ifttt loc for now.

Thnx for al your efforts. Too bad it’s so difficult and I understand your decision. Maybe somebody can pick it up were you left off in the future.

Hi @MarcelT

I am willing to give it a try. Where can I find on github the source?

Kind regards,

Sorry, I misunderstood. I was thinking it was an iphone app, not a homey app. Can not be of help.

Hi, ok. no problem. When I have some time I will still look to this.

Launched a retry of the app and see if this is working better. Spent a lot of time on it to hopefully it works.

1 Like

What’s the link to the store? I would like to try it, because the build-in location detection does not work properly.
Question, does it continuously keep the gps active (and drain the battery much quicker)?