Homey Community Forum

Device Capabilities - Enhance the capabilities of devices

Set capabilities of device’s per zone, for example open or close all curtains in a certain zone, including (or not) the subzones.
Also listens for capabilities of which there are no triggers from the app developer.
And a condition able to set a capability and wait for a specific “error”.

Example: Set curtain.windowcoverings_set To 0 in Home including subzones (Yes).
This will close all curtains in the Home and subzones. Setting it to 1 will open all curtains.

Example: Listen (watch) from Vacuumcleaner1 for bin_full
The flow will be triggered when a device called Vacuumcleaner1 has the capacity bin_full changed.
Check the value for true and send a notification to your phone to know when the vacuumcleaner bin is full.

Example: Set SamsungFrameTV.onof to True and wait for error: Powered on already…
The flow will continue after the TV has been turned ON. So no more flows with delays for waiting for TV or Coffeemaker to turn on.
Try it with a faulty error or a whitespace and in 20 seconds you’ll get the existing error message from the device: this way you know what to look for.

How to find a capability for a device?
In the first field, you enter the device name.
In the second field, you AGAIN fill in the Exact name of the Device, then you will get a list of the capabilities (Stoffie is a Roomba 980 and this is my working case):
You can then select the correct Capability, in this case bin_full

This works great voor a PA system:
How to make a Great Public Announcement (PA) System with any device! - Apps - Homey Community Forum (athom.com)

Hi @Arie_J_Godschalk,
this is maybe slightly off the actual topic but have you tried doing the set part with my Zone Memory app?
I am asking because this is an interresting usecase. I have never tested or gotten any test reports about it being used in combination with window coverings.
If you are willing to give that a shot, I would be interrested in your experience by using it in combination with those devices.

No i havent actually, Zone memory is on my to-install-list :wink:

But I am actually updating Device Capabilities as we speak to work in combination of two other apps I am publishing (hoping) today.

But go ahead in testing whatever you like :wink:

The sourcecode is available.

Hi @Arie_J_Godschalk

I really like the idea and use cases of this app. im trying to reproduce your example of the robot vacuum. im using the iRobot Roomba 960 and it has an capability “Afvalbak Vol” but i cant select it in your app.
could you point me in the right direction?

Thnx!

Hey, in the first field, you enter the device name.
In the second field, you AGAIN fill in the Exact name of the Device, then you will get a list of the capabilities (Stoffie is a Roomba 980 and this is my working case):
You can then select the correct Capability, in this case bin_full

Yes great this works. on my homey it took a while before the capabilities were shown.

Thanks!

Nah, were you using the webbrowser? Because then you somethimes need to do a space and backspace to get the results, or click in the flowcard JUST outside the textbox :wink:

Yes the my.homey.app ah ok, thanks, like your app!

Thanks!
Funny, you use it exactly why i wrote it in the first place, a trigger for when my Roomba or Braava is full/empty-water :wink:

1 Like