Electrical testing and smart devices

We’re having an extension on our house and we had asked the electrician to wire in a bunch of Fibaro devices into the light switches

He’s now saying that he can’t do this as for electrical testing they have to push a high current/voltage/something through the circuit which would potentially blow the devices…

Is this right? Seems a little odd that to test an electrical circuit you potentially have to do damage to items connected to it?

What is the actual process to sign off electrics?

Or is he just trying to get out of a job he doesn’t want to do?

He cannot test before fibaro rather behind. He is talking about rcd and resistance test. So tell him to test instalation behind fibaro equipment.

I think they want to measure the insulation resistance, and use 500 volt for this. and its possible to blow up the fibaro switches.

Insulation resistance tests (those are the ones for which high voltage is used) are typically done from the consumer unit, and might be mandatory before signing off on changes to the electrical system.

However, AFAIK, it’s acceptable to use a lower voltage (250V instead of 500V or 1000V) is there’s a suspicion (or certainty) that appliances are connected to the circuit, which would apply if you have Fibaro’s installed.

(however, I’m not an electrician, and different rules apply in different countries; perhaps signing off on new circuits mandates testing with a high voltage, for instance)

Thanks guys, so sounds like he’s right that probably best to connect them after the test…

I’m now a bit concerned he might blow some things on my existing circuit in the process… I’m also not sure how he’s going to wire up properly prior to their installation as I’ve only got momentary switches!!

He’s supposed to be sorting some LEDs which will be driven by a 12v supply as well so presumably they need to be done afterwards as well, no?

I think sockets and lights will be on different circuits, but I assume that he will make sure that there are no devices connected to a circuit before zapping it with 500V. I think that he’ll start with a 250V test, and if that yields values that indicate that devices are connected, he won’t step up to a higher voltage.

Well I’m not working as electrician also but insulation resistance test should be done without equipment. First voltage is much higher, second if you test installation with regular bulb i.e. on the wire you will get completely wrong reading from the megger.

So when we bring equipment to the controlled environment only cables, extension cords, distribution units are tested. This is at least in my line of duty.