[Feature Request] Groups

Problem:
I have multiple lamps with multiple spots. So normally I wanna turn on/off a lamp but when creating a flow I need to select all 3 spots to turn off all the ligts.

Example:

So now I created a “workflow” to act as one lamp… so this is only pollution of my flows because its not a “flow”.

I would like to be able to create groups of the same device, so I can easily dim or turn on/off a lamp.

I wanna use those groups for more things so I can reduce my flows, like my blinds, got 8 of them.

1 Like

Then use the app Group:

2 Likes

Be aware that Homey may have problems handling that many devices at once (where the symptoms would be that one or more random devices in a group don’t do what you want them to do).

But everything gets better with Homey v5, doesn’t it ?! :grinning::joy:

Hmm I think I have seen that behavior :frowning:

Guess that issues has high priority at homey?

It hasn’t had a high priority since it was introduced in firmware v2. Time will tell if v5 fixes these problems (but somehow I doubt it).

I tried that app, but here I have to install lamps again as group?
I want to make groups of existing devices. (feels like a feature homey should have tho)

No you can create a group from existing devices. After adding they still exist as individual devices.

Don’t think so too. V5 is focused on zigbee s far as I can tell. From what I understand the problem is with the handling of the actions. It used to be in sequence and now is performed parallel. Don’t know if it is just a mess in the code or resources issues. So agree with not a priority in v5.

I don’t think this is a special problem of Homey, at least not concerning Z-Wave.
With my Fibaro HC2 I have also always built in switching delays. This was even a recommendation from the German Fibaro distributor.
That’s why I also do this with Homey commands, and not only those concerning Z-Wave.
In the Group-App you can also add switching delays.

hmm. Why not just go via the build-in Zones feature? Never had an issue. But I also have no zigbee lights though.

I switch over 20 Z-Wave devices in a Group and it works 100% reliable! So, there are Gateways that can handle it.

1 Like

That’s not what I said at all. I’m just saying that it’s not a specific problem with homey.
With Homey I haven’t tried to switch 20 devices at once. You did it, right? What is your experience?

Anyway, I think ex-homey users should not be allowed to criticize Homey… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But that’s missing the point now.

@LegenDaryM, you don’t say which lamps you use. With the Philips Hue App it is also possible to turn on and off all the lights in a room. I would say just try it. The Group App and the build-in zones.

It used to be not such a problem before the flow rewrite of v2, after that it appeared (or at least it was much more noticable).

:-1:

I keep my shut up and lean back and relax. :grinning:

2 Likes

Okay, I didn’t know that. I don’t have the homey that long.
Is it independent of the protocol? Or is this a problem only with Z-Wave or Zigbee or…?

Yes, although it looks like it’s related to anything that depends on some sort of radio (Zigbee/Z-Wave/WiFi/RF).

@LegenDaryM, another thing you can do is to create one flow for each lamp group you want to switch on or off.

When…
This flow is started

And…
Lamp X is off (it is enough if only one lamp of the group is listed)

Then…
Switch Lamp 1 on
Switch Lamp 2 on
Switch Lamp 3 on

Switch Lamp 10 on

Else…
Switch Lamp 1 off
Switch Lamp 2 off
Switch Lamp 3 off

Switch Lamp 10 off

It is only necessary to start these flows from different other flows.

Advantage:
No additional app necessary (saves resources)
No additional devices necessary (clearer)
Opposite the built-in zones, individual lamp groups can be switched in one room
The other flows remain clearer and can be edited faster

Disadvantage:
You have additional flows (possibly more confusing)

For me it’s not really about turning on/off of more devices. I have scenes which set-up specific color of several z-wave lamps (3-4). Funny thing that all the time every lamp has different color (usually not expected one). When I set it manually - everything is OK. Issue is only via flow and same with group as separately and same issue with delay…

The issue isn’t so much turning on/off, it’s sending commands (on/off, dim, color, etc) to multiple devices. The problems you’re describing fit the problem.