Firmware update of devices in Homey

Blockquote

You can update your NodOn devices if you plug in a z-wave stick into your pc, and update it with official z-wave sigma software (think it was also in the download folder NodOn gives), just not with Homey.

Blockquote

Can this be done when the devices are in Homey Z-wave network?

no, unfortunatly you’ll have to remove it from homey, include it into the z-wave stick, update, remove it from the stick (restting the device) then include it back into homey.

This will be for everything, including fibaro home center, aeotec’s software, philips hue and ikea’s bridge

I don’t think that it´s OK in the long run. You have to update all your flows also after that.

Its like you will have to remove the mobo in you PC but in a special bios-upgrade device and then put it back in the PC, and i worst case you have to reinstall the OS.

Z-wave (or all divices that needs firmware updates) must find a way to handle this problem. It´s not only a Homey problem.

EDIT. And it can be a huge problem to pair the z-wave devices it can in worse case take days if you have 20-30 devices before you are up and running.

Nodon has only updated their micro plug once ever since I created the app for homey, and that was only shortly after I finished the app (August 2016).
So not sure how often you think they update, or if they need the update.
But it is not that often.

It is more often for ikea and or Philips hue, but both their bridges themselves can be included into Homey if you want only the latest updates

1 Like

My point is that other types of devices also have OTA firmware updates (Sonoff-Tasmota, Sonos, …), so there’s no reason at all to tell someone they made a “dumb comment” if they mention non-Z-Wave devices.

3 Likes

No its a justified comment.
I was talking about Zwave plus and OTA, just read my post. So him giving that random reply to my post to try sound funny or some, its dumb.

It’s not nice to call me dumb.
Stating you guys are talking about Zwave like here:

I was reading the first 3 posts again but cannot find anything at all about Zwave.

So, check the first 3 posts. Find where the part is that you guys (for the “we are talking about” part) actually talking about Zwave and call me dumb again.

2 Likes

Pehaps if more of “standalone zwave controller”
manufacturers like Athom and others, implemented the OTA FW-upgrade thats standardized in Zwave plus.
More of the device manufacturers will release their fw-files like anything else. For the moment Fibaro and others act a bit “childish”, but ill hope they come around. And they will if the market demands it.
Any-how, it starts with us demanding and Athom does it👍

It is just your tone of voice @Westerlind.r that is really a no go!

Please calm down and discuss with a little more calmness. That is all we want, okay?

Whats about “the tone” in this post (above)?

All good :ok_hand:

Why Device Firmware Updates so complicated? It should be easy to connect over other Apps directly to the Updates. Any OTA Update is only a connection from the File-Server over the internet to the Devices. Every Smartphone do so :slight_smile:
I think they only want to sell there own systems and want no mixed systems over different brands. Securety Updates and other should be posible for all Users everytime.
Buy every brands Hub is much electronic waste to the planet and much work for users to reconnect every device.
There must be a better way to update all devices in a smart home.

I fully agree: the ‘smart-home-world’ really should solve this thing.

1 Like

Can’t we create a petition and send it to all the manufacturers? Perhaps it should even be regulated by law throughout the EU that firmware updates for smart home devices can also be made via hubs from other companies. This possibility should not only be given because of the security updates and the many botnets that are created as a result. Avoiding e-waste on a large scale is also a problem. If everyone has to buy 2,3,4 or more smart home centers that are only needed for the 1-2 updates a year and are otherwise just stowed away in the box.
I think we users should get together and do something, right?

1 Like

Why don’t you start by asking Athom to implement firmware updates for devices that do support it?

1 Like

I guess it would be a good idea, but timeconsuming. Wouldn’t know where to start. Maybe with consumerprogramms as KASSA or RADAR in the Netherlands?

That would be a start, yes. It wouldn’t bring Fibaro ‘in’ for now, but maybe in time… I asked Fibar for a few times already, a few years ago. I have got a lot of those…

Hi Robert, do you maybe know where to drop wishes for Homey? Does Athom follow this forum? I cannot find a place on the Athom website. Thanks, Willem

Athom only reads the forum if they feel like it. For support requests, the official method is documented here: https://support.homey.app/hc/en-us/articles/360015784034-Submitting-a-support-request

It’s not just about Homey / Athom, which should make updates from other manufacturers. It’s more of a fundamental problem. Other multi-smart home centers have the same problem.
It shouldn’t matter which controller I use. If I have 3 lamps from Ikea and 2 from Phillips plus a Xiaomi motion detector or a doorbell door lock etc. I cannot buy a central unit for every manufacturer.
My big problem was that many connections could be used together in one place, e.g. via Google Home, but not when the Internet was gone or the delay via the cloud lasted more than 1-2 seconds. You press a switch and the signal goes halfway around the world and then comes back to turn on the light. And hence the Homey Pro to have direct connections.
Functionality, speed, security. You need all of that in a smart home. And firmware updates are an important part. And manufacturers probably block that on purpose. This is the only way you can force users not to use other systems but to buy as much as possible from one and the same provider. But no provider covers everything. So you MUST combine providers.
More control centers mean more electronic waste, more power consumption, etc.
It can’t go on like this. When more and more simple households and users are added, it adds up enormously.
And since such basic things should work better.

1 Like