Flows that work and ideas

Inspired by user brinkie on the old forum I’d like to start a topic on flows that work and flow ideas to automate the home. I am a new (2nd day) Homey user so bear with me and my flows, I will add my flows as soon as I’m on my computer, in the mean time maybe someone else would like to start?

2 Likes

With the upcoming update the flows is gonna be different so i would not put much effort in this.

@Rocodamelshekima can you clarify that a bit?
I hope I do not need to rebuild my flows impn a next version.
Took a lot of time to build them dont want to redo that…

Jeezz … really?..
Hoping like Fkey some clarifications on that, why should we need to rebuild flows in new update. Do you have a link to maybe a changelog for the update ?.. Figuring a major update then …

Was more like the change from desktop to mobile flows. No need to rebuild all ur flows me guess. But when desktop screenies are posted and we go all mobile the desktop screenies are useless aye?

To make my flows more flexible I did the following:
There are several times at the day that I want to start a flow. Example: wake up, breakfast time, going to bed etc.

At these moments several flows will be started. Example: at wake up. Several flows start to put lights on in kitchen living hallway etc (seperate flows because they all check a seperate lux sensors on if it is dark)

So what what if I change my pattern of waking up?
Then I need to change the timer on all these flows.

Thats why I creates a virtual device (button not switch!) for every moment.
I use that device to trigger all the flows
And I use one “time-triggered” flow that presses the button of the virtual device.

Now if my pattern changed I only need to change the time in the flow that triggers the virtual device.

PS: do not create a virtual device switch! If you switch on a switch that already has the status “on” homey does not trigger the flow. So your flow will only work once (unless you add a switch off every time, but that is useless). A virtual button works every time

1 Like

This is a different story for everyone. Don’t get me wrong, am not being negative. Just a reply on ur post. In my kitchen there is only light when there is motion. Awake or at sleep, when ur sleep-walking into the kitchen there will be light. Same goes for the hallway.

I must say i have as much info on that as u do. Am just a vollunteer doin the moderator job and am in no other way connected to Athom. Some peeps think that the moderators have more inside info but that’s not true.

We are also planning a seperate flow category on the forum when the 2.0 update is live. This topic will be closed when that happens.

2 Likes

I agree, my goal is to make my house look “occupied” even when nobody is at home. So my flows are the same every day. (With additional motion sensor triggers)

I like the idea here homey ask at sunset if i want to have the lights on. only if i am at home and the lights are not on.

Now that v2 is out and people started to get used with it as well as (most) of this excellent forum users figured out what v2 is about, I think it’s time to start share some nice working flows.

Wouldn’t be nice to have the “Flows that works” section created so those that master their flows can share them with the rest of this community?
In the old forum that section was a fountain of inspiration.

Just giving my thought…

Please moderators or some moderator don’t shoot me to dig out this old post.

P.S. How’s that sound: “Ha! Check my flow!”:see_no_evil:

3 Likes

I share ur thoughts but…
The topic on the old forums was a huge topic with lots of pages and lots of flows in it. Hard to find what u need. On almost every flow that was shared in that topic was a lot of comments with “i do it this way” or “this can also be done with 2 flows instead of 3” which made it even harder to find what u need. What we are thinking is to open a special category on this new forums with dedicated posts with flows in different categories like ‘simple flows’ to ‘advanced flows’ . The category is alr made even before this topic was started and some mods alr started to make flows in it. However this forum is called a community forum we have no rights at all to change the forum in whatever way. We cannot make categories by ourselfs or stuff like that so we depend on Athom for that.
Also we like the new category to be clean and readable for everyone. So we have to think of a way that there is gonna be nice flows in it but not 18 flows that do the same thing but just in a slightly different way. Our thoughts was that the moderators make the flows and close the topics after that to keep it clean but we also want members to share their flows ofc. Again without double posts and lots of comments which will make them hard to find again. Maybe the community has some more thoughts on how to best handle this? Give us some ideas in this topic and i’ll do my best ( with some kicking towards Enschede) to make this happen in the next copple of weeks.

1 Like

Imho every new flow in that category should be a separate topic. No problem is people keep adding comments to the topic (ask questions etc) but the main post should be the flow. Much like the dedicated app-topics.

1 Like

Yeah, I said open the section “Flows that works”. If subcategories can be created (I get it, by Athom of course…) then even better. It is a community here but on the other hand ur right, it must be clean else, in few months nobody will find anything, so I have no problems that only mods can post flows perhaps after getting input and ideas from community. In fact I think that’s a great idea, only if someone would have some initiative.

It is alive, muahaha!

1 Like

Yes it is!

2 Likes