Google Devices Access program (Nest)

Hi there,

Do we know if Athom is applying for the Google Devices program? That would make the connection to Nest possible again.

I’m still thinking about swapping my Nest for a Tado… :grimacing:

Just a bump, so I don’t have to start a new topic with the same question. :slight_smile:

Tado customer support is excellent. Don’t know if/how that helps but they’ve always impressed me

Still waiting for this

Please make this happen

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I’m planning to install a smart thermostat (finally) but I’m torn between the choice for either Nest or Tado… Generally I would go for Nest, as it is Google and I have a lot of other Google devices in my home, and simply I’m a fan of Google.

However, I read multiple times that Nest is no longer supported, so this means I could not control it through Homey. I thought this meant case closed, it will be Tado, but then when I think of it, I ask myself how necessary is the integration with Homey? Since it’s a smart thermostat, I assume I might have to set-up some initial schedules, but then it will learn from my habits and adjust itself, so why would I need to control it in Homey as I can also control it from the Google Home app?

Lots of thanks for helping me choose!!

Kind regards,
Mitch

I bought a Nest at the time when the API was still open and there was a working Homey app to view/control it. I sticked to Nest for an additional year after the API closed, because indeed there were not a lot of use-cases to control my thermostat via Homey. However when I wanted to extend my heating with a smart radiator valve up my attic (working from home ;)), Tado was a way better choice for me. Tado provides the possibility to individually control rooms also using their smart radiator valve.

Now I again have the possibilities to build flows and already have 10 flows for the heating in my attic and 7 flows for my ground floor heating.

Things to keep in mind:

• Tado supports multiroom heating, Nest currently doesn’t
  • to make tado smart, you have to go for their subscription and pay about 3 euros (?) per month. I’m not sure how this compares to Nest
  • alternatively you can skip the subscription of TADO, like I did, and make it smart using Homey
2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience Retrospected!!

I live in an appartment, and I already have 1 smart radiator valve (Tom, from Plugwise) on my living room radiator since I don’t have any thermostat at the moment. As soon as I do, I am planning to use this radiator valve in the bathroom since it will no longer be necessary in the living room, but I don’t see why that could not work as good with Nest as with Tado, and simultaniously I also don’t see benefits using a tado valve over another brand (such as Tom from Plugwise) ?

Well the smart radiator valve can give the central thermostat a signal that the room is colder than your desired temperature. Tado’s thermostat can give your kettle the command to turn on again even though the room where the thermostat resides in itself, is on the right temperature.

This basically allows you to control individual room temperatures if you use smart radiator valves in multiple rooms.

You can open the radiator valve manually or with a different brand (i used Eurotronics before), but as long as your thermostat doenst see the need to turn on the kettle (because his room is already on the desired temperature), he will not do anything and the room will remain cold.

1 Like

Oooh okay I did not knew that…!? So let’s say I have a Nest or a Tado in the Living room, and manual valves in other rooms. In those rooms the valves are for example set to 2 (/5), so they heat up a little simultaniouly with the one in the living room when necessary. However, if I open the valve in another room completely because it is too cold there, nothing will happen?? So the only way to heat up that room is either have smart radiator valves everywhere or increase the desired temperature in the living room?..

Yes at least that’s the case in my house. It might be different because i’m using floorheating and once the desired temperature has been reached, the temperature remains quite long even though the kettle is off.

As an example, let’s say in the morning at 08:00 it reaches my targeted 20 degrees downstairs, so the kettle will be turned off by the Tado thermostat. If I then at 08:30 would manually open up the radiator valve in my attic, nothing would happen until I either:

• manually turn up the thermostat downstairs to 21.
  • or when the temperature gets below 20 downstairs again… which might take a while

With the TADO radiator valve, it will instruct the kettle (via the tado thermostat) to turn the kettle on again to reach my desired temperature in the attic.

1 Like

Very clear, thank you so much! Guess I’ll have to verify if this is also the case with me, if so, Tado, if not I could go for Nest :slight_smile:

Did you look at Plugwise Adam?
Main reasons I bought it:

• With HA Zigbee stick it will work independant of Homey (in case of failure of wifi and/or Homey)
  • Has radiator valves which can work on power or batteries
  • When powered by mains, they will be an repeater for other Plugwise devices
  • Local and open API access (no internet needed between Homey and Adam)
  • Dutch company
  • OpenTherm support
  • Great Homey app