Google Home discussion topic (Archived 1)

Google assistant can adjust volume for Chromecast…

It was merely an example. What about lights for instance. What if I want to turn on all the lights? Do I have to say ’ ok google turn on the lights’ and gbridge turns on all the lights there are ( as with homey ) or do I have to say ok google tell homey to turn on the lights.

You can say “hey Google turn on all the lights”.

OK I wasn’t aware that Google home could adjust the volume of a chromecast. But I’m pretty sure that it won’t be able to change the volume of a chromecast THROUGH Homey since Google Assistant doesn’t support this through third party hardware AFAIK. And you can still have the chromecast connected to both homey and GA to be able to use both. What I’m trying to say is that the limitations you are discussing aren’t because of gBridge and will not be solved through an official app. It’s just a limitation of Google Assistant.

Source: https://developers.google.com/actions/smarthome/guides/

Exactly! But you can make a flow for volume-up eg with a virtual device and add it to Gbridge

Yes you can :slight_smile:

I got the impression that @Jeroen_Somhorst thought this was a limitation of gBridge while it’s really a limitation with Google Assistant. But you can do a work around like you showed. This workaround will most likely be needed in the official implementation also (creating a virtual device that controls the volume).

1 Like

News regarding this topic in the latest Behind the Magic Blog.

Google Assistant users can also rejoice. We’ve successfully negotiated a compromise between our privacy requirements and their certification process. It’s now up to them to approve our direct integration ( “OK Google, turn on all lights” ). We don’t know how long this will take but you can be sure we will be on top of it.

For those wondering, we will find out more information about how much data is shared with google once the app is approved and launched.

You can read about it here.

6 Likes

Whooohooo :+1: :clap: :ok_hand:

Great news!

Can’t wait😀

Finally!!!
Just got gBridge running, but it’s 1. not stable and 2. not free!
So this is great news! :smiley:

2 Likes

It sure isn’t

@Peter_de_Vos @Fire69 Do you guys experience problems with the MQTT Homey apps or with gBridge? If it’s the MQTT Hub or Client, please let me know!

Fantastic news.:tada:

No, i don’t think so. No problems with the set up, but occasionally commands are not being executed. For example. Ok google turn on the TV. The lady reply ok, but nothing happens. Few minutes later no problem at all and the command will be executed.

I for one have not had any instability issues since we were troubleshooting betas and added normalize mode.

Edit: and mostly it was stable before that too. Can’t say that I’ve experienced instability at all. Only the occasional bugs that got handled quickly.

To be honest, I don’t know if it’s the hub or gBridge.
I don’t use it very often, haven’t had the time to troubleshoot it. :slight_smile:
(That’s also why I’m glad that I won’t have to pay for gBridge anymore, hopefully soon)

Thanks for the feedback!

Let’s continue celebrating the great news from Athom :beers:

1 Like

Today not working at all😬

hate to be party pooper. But we had such
announcements before and then had our hopes dashed.
The post only says it’s up to Google to approve so I wont celebrate yet.

I’ll believe it only when the app is approved and launched.

1 Like

why doesn’t someone just update it to 2.0?