Guide to Connecting gBridge to Homey for Google Assistant

Ah, gBridge supports names with spaces in them?

Just installed beta branch to test the updated normalize function.

[edit]
And it works :slight_smile:

FYI: above issue is resolved (available on the beta branch). Will be pushed to the store asap.

3 Likes

I tried a smart lock without success. I think the topic is not supported bij Google Homeā€¦ Not sure though!

I donā€™t believe Google Assistant supports control of locks , this is intentional as itā€™s a real security risk someone shouting in your window ā€˜little pig, little pig ā€¦let me inā€™ .

Hope that translates OK

1 Like

I donā€™t think thatā€™s the problemā€¦

Maybeā€¦ but a review of say the Nest x lock says itā€™s the best integrated and you can use Google Assistant to lock it but not to unlockā€¦ I have no electronic locks here so Iā€™m not in a position to contribute reallyā€¦

Did anyone get Blinds working? I have Somfy RTS blinds and they have a ā€œwindowcoverings-stateā€ (up/down) but that does not seem to work?

FYI: The starting post mentions the ā€˜HA branchā€™ for installation of the MQTT Hub.
This branch is removed by now.

Just install the MQTT Hub via the app store, no need to install via CLI anymore.
Set the communication protocol to ā€˜Customā€™ and change the topic to ā€˜gBridge/uxxxā€™.

2 Likes

There are also some changes in the settings in MQTT Hub that needs to be updated (in the guide).
ā€œRoot topicā€ and ā€œDeviceidā€ is now only one field instead of two and should say:
gBridge/u123

And I think itā€™s a good idea to use the setting ā€œNormalizeā€ which is new and should change the device names to look like they do in the guide.

Will update screenshots today. I have updated the links

1 Like

Can gBridge use dutch as a language?

gBridge connects Homey to Google Assistant. The interface of gBridge can only be in English or German but you can speak dutch to your Google Assistant for example: Hey Google, doe de woonkamer lampen aan".

Groeten / Cheers,
Victor

Thats great news, thanks Victor

Does gBridge discover the new devices or how do I have to add the new devices?

It is not really clear how to make the link between the Homey light and the gBridge light.

In the guide the Homey light is called Window Lights and in gBridge it is called front_door_lights.

Maybe this point could be added to the guide. Thx a lot Chris

I didnā€™t notice that but youā€™re right. If a device is called Window Light in homey the topic should be named window-light in gbridge.

You need to add each device manually in gbridge, no automatic discovery is done.

Thereā€™s a bit of things not up o date in the guide right now.

1. Deviceid and root topic is now merged to only one field and needs to say gBridge/u123

2. Normalize should be checked which is a new setting.

Edit: remember that it should be dash - not underscore _ which is very important.

Any updates on supporting other devices except lights/switches?
Iā€™d really like to control my roller shutters with Google :slight_smile:

Saw that color is released on gBridge now. Does anyone know how to get it to work?

You could try to set the topic to /color and /color/set and see if it works.

Did not work unfortunately.

Best route to go would probably be to set up MQTT Explorer and connect it to gBridge. Then see what the topics are that homey populate and what kind of data it uses for color. And then try to set it manually in MQTT Explorer and see if you can get it to work. Then step two would be to see what kind of data gBridge sets and see if there are any differences.

1 Like