Guide to Connecting gBridge to Homey for Google Assistant

The HA branch is currently the newest & most stable version. But be aware the HA branch is under heavy development. The settings page got a facelift already (currently testing locally).

I’m trying to get the HA branch to the app store asap, so installing via CLI won’t be needed anymore. But it needs some testing first.

I believe that it is possible to use the beta app from the app store with no dimming. But @HarriedeGroot is the developer so his advice are to be listened to :stuck_out_tongue:

Do I need to change this manually after adding a device in gBridge?

I added 1 device Eiland (same name as in Homey) and changed the settings of the device like this:

Is that OK?

The /set is correct but you have the wrong name of the device in the MQTT string. It shouldn’t be d2406. It should be changed to the same name as it is in homey but with dashes (-) instead of spaces. And all lowercase.

OK, found it myself! Have to link my gBridge-account in Google Home :smirk:

My Eiland light is added now but is not working :neutral_face:

See my comment above.

Sorry, didn’t refresh before posting again :hushed:

It’s working now! :+1:

1 Like

The name of the device in gBridge does not need to be equal to the homey device name. Only in the mqtt-string.

So this should be OK?

Do I need to reboot Homey every time I add a new device?
Tried adding this light in Google Home and it’s not finding it.

No you shouldn’t need to reboot all the time. When you activate the device in MQTT Hub I guess you might need to press the broadcast button or you could restart the app. I honestly just added all devices I wanted to control at once.

If you add a device in gBridge it should be found in Google home instantly. Even if the connection to homey doesn’t work because Google Home does not know that. The connection between gBridge and Google home has nothing to do with homey.

@Fire69
Yes I’ll add more detail to explain that

No need to be rebooting Homey. That’s only needed once as a failsafe but may actually be unnecessary at all.

On Google Home… Say Hey Google, Sync Devices
Then kill the Google Home apps on your phone and open them again

At the bottom you’ll see your new device

Yeah, figured out that newly discovered devices were automatically added all the way down in the Google Home app after a refresh, that’s why I deleted my post (it was too stupid to leave it there :smile: )

All 4 devices are working now. :slight_smile:
Except that naming your lights ‘Woonkamer Groot’ and ‘Woonkamer Klein’ is a problem apparently. They appear as ‘Woonkamer Lights’ in Home and I can’t control them by voice.
But that’s a discussion for another topic…

So I have it working with my Aqara power plugs, works great! However I’m having issues using my curtains with this on Google Home. I can open/close them if I set the curtains as a switch/outlet, but not as blinds, then it has no options in Google Home. Does this currently only support outlet/switch/lights as device types, or am I missing somethint?

Same here, tried my shutters, no luck.

I haven’t installed mine yet so I can’t help with that. But you might want to use MQTT Explorer to see what topics are used etc.

Do I use that on my desktop through terminal like node.js command? Can you forward me to one?

Thanks! I’ve found that one but wasn’t sure if that would be usable. Appreciate it, gonna test it out tonight.

edit: I can’t for the life of me get MQTT Explorer te work. I can connect just fine, it even says I’m connected, but I don’t see any topics… I have added 5 devices (as switches) and all work with Google Home. I don’t understand why MQTT Explorer is empty… What am I missing?

The gBridge MQTT server does not permit subscriptions to the root topic.
So in your gBridge broker configuration in MQTT-Explorer click the ‘ADVANCED’ button and add the following topic replacing u123 with your own userID. Then save the changes - now you will get all your topics listed.

gBridge/u123/#

1 Like

Thanks, it works now!