Homey and Lora

Lora is a long range IoT setup useful for high distance (several Km), low power, low bandwith sensors/actuators

Low power means the nodes can work months over the same battery
Low bandwith means signals from/to nodes cannot be very fast changing

It connects to the internet through a gateway which locally sends/receives at a frequency of 868MHz in EU
Also Homey can communicate at this same frequency

However:

• Can Homey work as a Lora gateway and connect to the broad range of sensors/actuators available within such IoT frame?
  • Can such nodes be interfaced within the Homey cloud system?
  • Is Homey long distance/low bandwith capable or can it be strictly used as a domestic system?

thanks

Homey doesn’t support the LoRa protocol. Theoretically speaking, it could act as a gateway if you were able to interface a LoRaWAN concentrator with Homey (get the LoRa data frames from a concentrator board to Homey) and implement a gateway app, but in practise I don’t see why you would want to (might as well run existing software on an RPi).

Homey doesn’t support any LPWAN protocols (LoRa, Sigfix, NB-IoT), it is strictly a domestic system.

Hello, resurrecting this topic as new components and devices may give it more relevance.
I intend to install LORAWAN water meters across the building. I know that it may be possible to connect to a local server and from there adapt the signal to the TTN protocol and access via the internet. The local server however is 15km away.

My question is, can Homey act as a LORAWAN interface (it shares the same frequencies) and what actions/apps would be required to enable communication between Homey and the device (Axioma W1). Thanks!

The answer is still no.

It doesn’t really matter if it shares the same frequencies, for LoRa you need specific hardware that Homey (also the upcoming new Homey Pro) doesn’t have.