[Modding] Homey Pro (Model Early 201x) Antenna modification

For those that are about to go ahead with a z-wave antenna mod, here is something I’ve experienced regarding the antenna shield connected to GND.

Initially, I did not connect the antenna shield to GND. You can notice this in the above photos. As per my posts, the z-wave improvement exceeded my expectations.
Then, I decided to connect it. From here, big problems. The z-wave mesh was changing all the time like every minute! Devices were responding sporadically only. Very weird, perhaps some interference. I definitely picked up the right GND on one point on the PCB, I checked 10 times.
Then I disconnected it and all back to normal.
I’ve seen a photo on this forum where someone has connected the shield to the opposite terminal of the original z-wave antenna. Actually that terminal is floating (connected nowhere) only used to hold in place the original z-wave coil antenna. So no point to have it there unless you want to prop the shield wire somewhere, I heat shrink mine.

After reading a bit more about RF antennas, I’ve decided to cut off the original z-wave antenna. I did it in such way that I can anytime solder it back.
From here, the reception has gone even a bit better. So I won’t solder it back.
Your mileage might vary… good luck.

P.S. I know a couple of installers that replace the z-wave antenna from the Fibaro HC2 with a high gain antenna. So don’t cry that only Homey has a bad z-wave range.

5 Likes