[Modding] Homey Pro (Model Early 201x) Antenna modification

Added perk; now it can also act as lightning rod.

I would recommend this antenna mod to all users that are already having issues with range / not working devices LOL.

1 Like

Seeing your photo’s, the bare-wire antenna is probably working better because the dedicated antenna is connected to the original antenna with both the core and the sleeve of the coax wire, which will likely introduce phase cancellation. That’s why users that have replaced the original antenna with a dedicated antenna only connect the core wire of the coax, and not the sleeve (leave the PCB to act as the ground plane).

Also, antenna’s don’t work better because they are longer, they work better when they are closer to the wavelength (or a half, or a quarter) of the signal.

hi mate, thanks a lot for this information. but i have a home early 2019 model and i really cant manage to open the upper dome :frowning:
anyone has made a video of it how to open it?

thank you so much

1 Like

Dont let Santa crash because of these antenna mods! Might mess up his instruments :frowning:

As per one of my posts, I was lucky enough to have my Homey poorly fit together. A simply kitchen knife in between the top half and LED ring was enough to have it open.
Some people here dropped their Homey by mistake with the happy end of having it opened and not destroyed.
Others managed to open it with some significant damage to the dome.
Some others just smashed the top dome and later found some sort of replacement for it.

Sorry, a proper made Homey is not meant to be ever opened so I can only wish you best of luck with such operation.

Did my mod finally, opened the Homey by dropping it on the floor, this is how it looks now, still waiting for the new 3D-printed case in black. No more issues with connectivity, I need this mod otherwise my Homey is worthless for a decent house with garden…

The Big Antenna at the back is for Wifi, hoped it picked up 5Ghz, but keeps connecting to 2.4, anyone any suggestions how to push it to use 5Ghz other than renaming my SSID?

1 Like

No 5GHz unfortunately, only 2.4.
Just perform a search on the forum and you shall find several topics about it.

Hey guys, lets go back on topic.
@Steven_de_Boer, no offense
Thanks for sharing the naked Homey pics,
pls let us know how the network ranges improve and keep up posted for the modding.

I will remove the off topic posts to keep this thread interesting for everyone interested in modding…

2 Likes

Hi @Dijker, thanks for remove the off topic items. What I notice after the mod (before I had all sort of different issues) is that flows running on Zigbee devices are almost instant after the trigger. Z-wave devices are delayed noticeable after the trigger. The difference is sometimes >5 secs, even if the flow contains and Zigbee actions and Z-wave actions, does anybody else also has these delays? Z-wave is always slower (after) Zigbee…

1 Like

Sounds like your Z-wave network isn’t optimal. Can be due to interference or a bad mesh.
I experienced this twice. Once when i screwed on the wrong antenna to the Z-wave connector, the second time when Homey was suffering from the memory leak problem.
Commands were delayed (severely) or even missed. After connecting the correct antenna and a Homey replacing all was fine now. Same when the memory leak problem was solved.

Checked the antenna’s and the correct versions are connected properly. How did you resolve the memory leak?

Resolved since i went to firmware version 2.4.1…

Here is my finnish themed mod, it really improved the diffrent radios.

2 Likes

Hi there,

anyone here experienced and willing to mod my homey – I am for sure willing to pay.

Interested in boosting antennas for Bluetooth, Z-Wave and Zigbee.

Cheers, Tom

1 Like

Hi Tom,

Just finished an antenna mod for a Homey pro which one of my customers needed. If you want I can do the mod for you too.
Please contact me to discuss the details.

Greetz Luuk

2 Likes

I am that customer. Domotica is my hobby. Lack of time, makes me hire Luuk for all kinds of Domotica jobs, of which modifying Homey Pro was one of them. Luuk is dependable, loyal, has eye for detail, is fair in pricing. Worth every penny. I can highly recommend him for modifying Homey for you, or any other Domotica or electrical job for that matter! Whether you miss the skills or the time to do it yourself, doesn’t matter. He is your dependable partner!

4 Likes

Hahaha, no, forgot to negotiate that! :wink: Having said that: He doesn’t need good reviews, he’s good. I just wanted to share/expres my hapiness with Luuk after seeing him post here.

3 Likes

Where’s Luuk based?

1 Like

If someone is looking for a homey pro with antennamod (433, 868, zwave and zigbee) I am willing to sell mine (picture in earlier post in this topic), send me a private message if you are intrested.