[Modding] Homey Pro (Model Early 201x) Antenna modification

Hi @robertklep , thanks for your reply.

Unfortunatly that is not what i am searching for.
I am searching in europe /nl for the 433Mhz lookalike of the antenna in the picture i attached in my post.
You indicate exactly the problem: Enough 433Mhz antenna;s offcourse, but not the type i want in white.
My Homey now looks exactly the same as the first picture in this conversation from @Undertaker .
It would be nice if the third antenna (the 433 one) is looking exactly the same.
That’s my goal.

Thx,
Peter

Perhaps this one? https://www.amazon.de/Othmro-433-MHz-Klappstabantenne-SMA-Stecker-weiß/dp/B08BK4CKSP

Yes, that’s the one.
Thanks; strange that i could not found this one on the dutch amazon site.
Delivery is 30 days max. Also a bit long, but quicker than ‘ome Ali’ :wink:

Thanks for helping,
Peter

Do you see any improvement with a 433Mhz antenna? The original antenna is quite long, but the range is catastrophic (compared to my RFXCOM I used before)

Now I have also put on a new antenna to extend the Z-wave range.

Without an extra antenna

With an antenna mounted on the case.

With an external antenna ouside the house.

The range is better, but the length of the cable on the external antenna counteracts an increase in power. The problem remains, however, that my Danalock V3 does not work reliably. It must have direct contact with the router. In my case, meshining takes place with two jumps.
I will leave my old Vera in the garage just to control the lock.

Now all that remains is to get my 433Mhz temp sensors to get in touch with the Homey.

hi @Orjan_Johansson ,

Yes, after the antennamod with 433Mhz all my 433Mhz devices are reacting better and never misses a instruction anymore. I have one (far away) Cresta outside temperature-device which was unable to reach Homey.
With the mod Homey is receiving without errors.

BTW: I bought this one. (also its 868Mh ‘brother’).

Greetings Peter

Interesting. I pulled out the coil that is the current 433Mhz antenna, but it did not help. Surprised that an external shorter antenna does the job better. Could it be because you ground it?

Nope, I did not ground it.
I just desolder the original copper coil/spiral antenna and soldered only the core of the pigtail instead.

Peter

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Homey Bridge Antenna modification

The pads are still there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@undertaker be like
al-bundy

@undertaker be like
giphy

:joy: :rofl:

3 Likes

So I’ve got the aerials to have a go at the mod for Zigbee and Zwave. I’m pretty confident with the electronics part once I get inside the case, but I’m stuck at step 1! On my homey (pro 2019), there isn’t even a hair’s breadth gap anywhere around the case between the top and the plastic ring for the LEDs. I can’t even get the edge of a penknife blade in to get started. There’s plenty of gaps under the plastic ring where it looks like I might be able to lever the bottom off, but everything in this thread (I have read all 582 posts) says take the top off above the LED ring. So I have two questions and if anyone can offer suggestions I’d be extremely grateful:

1. Would trying to take the bottom of the case off below the central ring for the LEDs be a really bad idea? It looks from some of the photos like there are 4 plastic screws that I’d end up trying to break without breaking the plastic ring itself. Anyone had any success with this method?
  2. What were the original alternative steps that Johan did that were referenced above? The link to his website is still alive but I now can’t find any reference to this mod on his website.

These are the openings of the IR diodes!

You have to open Homey above the IR ring. I had success back then using a watchmaker’s tool.

But it is almost impossible to open Homey without a little damage to the edge. Open the back of Homey and you won’t see it. By opening above the IR ring, my plastic screws did not break off either. If it does, you can use superglue to fix the screws. The screws do not have to carry a high load.

@Emile
An idea for the shop. Unglued Homey housing. I would then open every Homey with the Dremel :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Thank you Undertaker, I will steel myself for the fight and keep going at it. I reckon if you started a shop selling opened Homey Pros for a markup on their original shop value you’d do a storming trade!

1 Like

Bingo! And as a bonus the top is wipe clean so you can get the blood off quite easily :grimacing:

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Homey Bridge Antenna modification

In July the warranty expires on my Homey and I can’t wait to do this antenna mod. (433 is really hit and miss in my system.)

Since there have been no updates in this thread since November last year I thought I’d bump it asking if those that have done the mod are still happy with the results.

If so, would you post the hardware you used and maybe even a source for it. :blush: Since delivery from the big China vendor can be really long I think it’s best for me to order now and hope for only two months shipping. :laughing:

Thanks from Sweden!

1 Like

A few weeks ago I cracked open my homey (using a sharp knife and “rolling” between the leds and rhe upper some (so above the leds.) It opened up nicely without damage.
Sqeeze it in and roll the knife a few times with not too much force. You can hear the glue crack every time you roll

I only performed the zigbee mod (which is the easiest).
The stability f my zigbee really boosted

2 Likes

Hi @FKey , could you explain what you mean by the stability of zigbee improved?
Is it faster (when switching lights)?
How many zigbee devices do you use?

Currently I am using the deconz app but maybe want to move back to the homey zigbee.

Uptill recently I had al my devices connected via hue bridge to homey.
I did not want to spent too much money on automating my garage light so I bought an aqara motionsensor and started experimenting.
Removed a bulb a 3m from homey from hue and connected it directly to homey. And added a zbmini in the garage also connected directly to homey. And the new aqara motion to control the zbmini.
That turned out to be a big disappointment. The zigbee was not stable at all and most of the time the lights failed to switch.
After a few weeks I decided to do the antenna mod using a €2.50 antenna including cable.
The zigbee mesh immediately started to work better. Both lights and the aqara worked fine. Only noticed a few hickups (zbmini not turning on by motion). So that was a huge improvement…

Still not as stable as via the hue bridge though

1 Like