[APP][Pro] Harmony Hub (v2.0.7)

Known behavior. The app crashes after 9 days in my case. Restart app is solution right now. Developer is planning to debug in future.

@RoyWissenburg

I’m on v1.3.1 for Harmony and 1.5.13 for Homey.

I am affraid I have some bad news in the latest firmware update logitech disabled the local api this app is using to communicate with the hub (https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2018/12/17/logitech-harmony-removes-local-api/). I will investigate if a solution can be found for this but it might end up in a discontinue for this app :frowning:

Thanx for the heads up, will avoid upgrading right now and hopefully Logitech will revert their change.

Sad news. Thanks for the warning @jreenen
I will avoid updating. Hopefully it is not aggressively pushed!

They (Logitech) pulled it thankfully. Had a fun day but we are back, at least for now

Did Logitech revert? Or was the workaround good enough?

Update 3 (18 dec): Twitter user @ChadBeattie has discovered that there seems to be a second undocumented local API that is being used by the Logitech Harmony iOS app. Home Assistant dev @ehendrix23 is looking into updating the PyHarmony library to use this. Join #devs_backend on our chat if you want to help with development. We can’t guarantee that it will work, but if we can get it to work, we will do a hot fix release.

It seems that they reverted.

I accidentally took the latest instead of reverting and that was the previous version.

In other words, the latest version on their server now is 201 instead of 206

[modbreak: removed unrelated add/spam link]

Seems disabling the local API is here to stay and was intentionally:

Harmony Hub Firmware Update Fixes Vulnerabilities

Logitech recently released a firmware update for Harmony hub-based remotes that addressed some security vulnerabilities brought to our attention by a third-party cyber security firm. Logitech takes our customers’ security seriously, and we work diligently to fix these kinds of issues as they’re discovered.

_ _

Last week we began rolling out this update. We are aware that some customers using undocumented Harmony APIs for local home control were affected as a side-effect of our closing these vulnerabilities. These private local control APIs were never supported Harmony features. While it is unfortunate that customers using these unsupported features are affected by this fix, the overall security of our products and all of our customers is our priority.

We urge customers to update to this latest firmware, version 4.15.206.

https://community.logitech.com/s/question/0D55A00008D4bZ4SAJ/harmony-hub-firmware-update-fixes-vulnerabilities

It still works when you have a firmware < .206 and disable the internet access for the harmony hub (that is what I have done for now), but do not know how and if it will work when you have to make changes to the setup, I believe you need internet access for that.

There is another local API available. Would we be able to talk to that one instead :)?

I am planning on rewriting the app to use websockets communication instead of the disabled XMPP. Will start on this process early next week and keep you updated on the progress.

For now I decided to request homey to remove the app from the store but we will be back!

5 Likes

Rockstar, thanks :slight_smile:

@jreenen Oh that would be great, hopefully this API will stay open and is not closed anytime soon…

Thanks a lot for the time you are putting in to this! :+1:

Is using websockets an official way to connect to the hub?

Maybe this helps some other people also.

As temporary measure I use IFTTT between the flows now.
I make an applet on IFTTT that listens for a Homey Flow and then starts a Harmony Activity.

How are the response times for this?

Unfortunately it isn’t I tried several time to get access to the offically supported api from logitech but they don’t respond to any of my requests. I think they only allow the big companies on that API.

Few seconds. But my Homey is very slow and unstable the last couple of weeks.

Sometimes my Google Home doens’t respond to a command.
When I look in IFTTT the applet shows it was called.
But somehow the request from IFTTT to the Homey never arrived (or the Homey didn’t respond):

Google Home --:heavy_check_mark:–> IFTTT --:x:–> Homey

(Still at 1.5.13)

I just tested the new IFTT- flow I created. It took 10 seconds to turn off my activity. :roll_eyes:

So happy to hear this. Thank you for your hard work!