Homey Keynote

Yes, it will be very interesting to learn more about the purpose of the Bridge. Is it just an extender or can it replace the white ball?

Looking forward to see it’s functionality! What the difference will be between this and a Pro…

Might be that it functions as a bride, for example in the shed or attic?

Are you sure? Looks like a kitten to me.

7 Likes

Hopefully, it’s a Z-Wave Gen7 Chip inside.

Still visible :crazy_face: Klick on the red pencil (history)

Haha, nice one Emile. Maybe as cute as a kitten.
Nice to see that you develop new hardware

This device has very limited processing power so it’s either complimentary to a Homey or it’s a cloud-only Homey-ish device.

1 Like

Ah, that would make sense; a subscription based solution to generate a constant stream of revenue. Smart :slight_smile:

Picked mine up @ some electronics shop!

3 Likes

@Peter_Kawa Hahaha! And now your water kettle is out of order? :wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I dislike subscriptions…

They make money will developers make free apps…

The apps are free now, aren’t they?!
If a company wants to survive they need recuurent revenue, subscriptions are one way to go. As far as it is value-adding, I am happy to pay

1 Like

And how much are u willing to pay for apps working for like 10%? Like the Chromecast app not working anymore on the Hubs with Fuchsia installed. And how much u wanna pay for apps working for like 85% like the Sonos app with the not working “ is playing” card.
And according the complaints u see where the developer don’t get payed for it, how much will the complains be when they have to pay for it?

Perhaps if the Bridge gets more mainstream then the official devs will maintain their own apps?

Wow, nice attitude you got there! And it is really hard to follow your arguments.

Well, we didn’t even discuss a certain price, it was from a general point of view. And to be honest, I see no reason to discuss a specific price.

I do not see the issues you are experiencing, the 25 apps I use all world very well, with extremely supportive devolpers behind them.

But on the other hand, IF we should pay for both a service and for every single app, we would be able to demand more of a developer. That would serve your point of view also

Cheers!

Nothing to do with attitude, just wondering how much u would like to pay. Is it wyrd questions?
I am still wondering why peeps would like to pay for things that are free at the moment.

If I pay for an app, I would also be able to put higher requirements. Sure, I do not see the need for it as it is, but that can change quickly.
However, I can agree with you that a developer that owns a really popular app that puts hours and hours to support and maintain the app, should be able to be reimburst.

Regarding prices, well, if you put a gun to my head, I think that €2 per app might be okay for me. It is not much, but still something symbolic. Perpetual licenses for apps, of course

1 Like

2€ for a perpetual license for an app for which you expect more support. With perpetual I think you mean a one time fee? Well, I do not know how many users you think an average app has and how much developer hours that would pay for.

Don’t get me wrong - I developed an app for myself which I gladly give to others for free. Support and all. I’m not asking for any kind of payment. I also was fortunate that I got sponsoring after I built it, so I’m not complaining in any way.

But to give you an idea: After 5 months I gathered a little over 70 users for that app. I confess, it is probably not out there in the top 10 of most used apps. But then again: IF they all agree to pay 2 euro’s (which would not even buy me a beer in a cafe) I would have EUR 150. That buys you less time than it took me to read the API. So no money left to build the app and no time to give support. So let’s assume each user may need one support question on average, how long would you be willing to render support on an app for 2 euros?

2 eur might be fine for an android app used by many people around the world, but kt would not buy you anything worth while for a lot of apps on Homey.

1 Like

Okay, I knew this discussion would blew up in my face. You took my last post right out of it’s context.
Forget about the €2, it was a number I had to pull out of my ass more or less, I didn’t want to mention a number at all.

And for the record, the discussion started with me stating “The apps are free now, aren’t they?!
If a company wants to survive they need recuurent revenue, subscriptions are one way to go. As far as it is value-adding, I am happy to pay”.

I was obviously referring to Athom’s service, NOT apps. And I do think so, if a service adds value, I am prepared to pay for it.

When it comes to apps it was a highly hypothetical discussion, that is why I didn’t put more effort in that

1 Like