Homey lost connections after updates, with Lidl and Tuya-zigbee devices

I assume because you don’t see that any other devices are being routed through it?

I’m not sure if the network map is showing every possible route, because from what I’ve seen from it, it’s showing Homey’s network as a spanning tree topology, not a mesh topology, and I can’t believe that even the old Homeys would use a suboptimal topology for Zigbee (while the Zigbee chip is capable of more).

Correct.

The routing table on the developer page suggests a tree topology.
This routing tabel does not correspond completely with the map.
I have a ? to a device in the table and a logical route on the map.
This not a temporary deviation. I think I need a soft reset of my homey again.
afbeelding

The map shows me a logical connections tree. I think a tree topology is easier handeling as a stable system. My roots lie in the fluid mechanics simulation of networks. Maybe the capacity of a tree network is less than a mesh network.

New is not always better :slight_smile:

@Harrr I don’t have any LIDL devices but I do have 26 Tuya ZB devices in my network. They are temperature/humidity sensors, door sensors, smart plugs and switches. I have 3 Aqara motion sensors and 9 Ikea lights and buttons. I have had an issue with my Ikea LED driver not registering as a router, it was listed as an end-device. After re-registering it, it properly showed as a router.

It’s unfortunate that the Homey hub doesn’t offer functionality to update firmware on devices. I have requested this as a feature, so maybe some day…

@robertklep I have no doubt that Home Assistant has a wider compatibility than Homey, it also has more complexity. I guess the issue with some less compliant Zigbee devices on Homey is due to their choices for the platform architecture. Also, please note that I have a Homey Pro 2023 while you seem to have an older Homey (with different Zigbee chip). So your mileage may vary from mine.

I love Homey UI but it’s becoming harder and harder to have one… My Homey pro 2019 for several months lost my Zigbee network , The only solution I found was to add the devices to my Home Assistant.
Since last update some days ago the Homey IOS app started having problems.
So I already setup HA RPI to handle Z-Wave in case I loose my Z-Wave network in Homey or my patience.
Sorry but there’s no way I will pay 500€ for the new Homey Pro if HA has way more integrations for 100€ - the 400€ difference more than pays for the worst UI.

Ok, I have a homey 2019, bought just a short time before the new version was announced. Thanks for your information. With 2 different homey types it will be difficult to compare experiences, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwNuQulK6N0 about Some Day :-), this song shows my age a little bit.

You found your own solution… I’am thinking in the same direction. I think my Homey 2019pro has reached its maximum capacity of ZIGBEE devices. I also want to have an escape road if homey fails.

Wat kind of advice did you get from the athom helpdesk?

I have both models of Homey, but I don’t use Homey for Zigbee (or anything else other than maintaining my apps) because it’s too limited (although today Athom stated on Slack that they may finally look into offering OTA updates for Zigbee devices) and for lots of people it has issues with certain combinations of devices (like IKEA and Aqara) that I have a lot of (and that zigbee2mqtt has no issues with).

As for complexity: HA has, just like Homey, an out-of-the-box experience nowadays. If you want to do more complex things, at least you can if you want. But it’s not really an issue of complexity, it’s an issue of Homey just lacking certain Zigbee features that other platforms have had a long time already (like the aforementioned OTA update functionality, but also things like grouping and binding), and also being the only platform that has issues with certain brands/devices, issues that other platforms apparently have been able to solve or work around.

1 Like

Do you use a Raspberry PI for HA?

No, I run it on my server, in a Docker container.

I learn a lot from you !

This is interesting point. Ik have a 2019pro version of homey. Maybe the rock solid networks are having a newer 2023 version. In the shared experiences on the forum this important fact is not always clear.

The normal FAQ answer… turning it upside down!

HA runs perfectly in a RPI4 with the added advantage that you can place it almost anywhere, for instance in the best placement for your house and a server is a little more complex if you have a wife :smiley:

1 Like

@robertklep I also have Aqara and Ikea. My Aqara motion sensor stopped reporting events (it didn’t disappear, just stopped working). Waking it up with the button would make it work again for some time and then randomly it would stop. I got the Ikea Dirigera hub to update the Ikea firmwares and after that my issues with Aqara were gone. Some of the Ikea stuff worked better as well: the shortcut button only recognised single presses, no double presses or long presses. Ever since the update, it does all of these things. Not that I use those, but I can :slight_smile: Double press and long press are too confusing for my wife and daughter so I only use single press and some smarter automation.

The Ikea firmware update was advice from the Homey help desk and I can confirm that it works. Like I said, I have zero issues with Zigbee now and all sorts of issues before the firmware update. It’s just unfortunate that I had to buy the Dirigera just for the firmware updates. I used it all of 5 minutes: set up the Dirigera, add all my Ikea devices and then throw it into a drawer. Then I could add the Ikea stuff back into Homey (repair). Hopefully Athom adds the OTA feature soon…

From what I see on youtube, RPI3 would be good enough to run HA?

Which version of homey pro do you use?

I also had the experience that my IOS app lost contact with homey. Again just after an update… It could be resolved by a fresh install of the homey app on my phone. This was (of course) the advice of the helpdesk… about a week after I submitted the problem.

It’s at 10.3.2 right now but I have had many updates since I solved my issues. So I can’t really say there has ever been a version that caused it or solved it.

The thing I love about the Homey team and this community is that you can have some influence over features. I have logged some incidents indicated that I expected something to behave in a certain way and it didn’t. And the response has mainly been: “yeah, it doesn’t work that way. But that would be cool so I could request that as a feature for you”. And some have even been implemented. I wouldn’t expect that from a product that has existed for 8 years :slight_smile:

Same here, i have a ikea hub just to update their stuff before i connect it to homey and had no problems whatsoever with aqara devices.

So you have a homey model early 2023, with the newer Zigbee chip? In my early 2019 model we are at 10.0.8. I think that means that it is no use to compare experiences.