Homey Pro Backups (formerly Homey+) subscription

Just created backup, flawless… at least… i think it is…

No I havent restored yet… don’t feel the need yet :wink:

1 Like

Good to know! Thanks. I would be curious how a restore would go. Let us know if by any means you do one.

For a higher subscription they need really good model of services. I took this Homey+ because is low enough that I do not care what I’m paying for. I’m paying for supporting Athom, good enough for me. Similar way I’m paying 10Eur per year to Synology to give me 100Gb cloud backup for all configurations and something I choose to fit in 100GB.

If it will be more, then I really need good model that will give me the reason to spend more. Lets get one thing straight, backup shouldn’t be a reason for subscription. Ok this is like cloud backup so we can lie to our self. If you ask me only additional services that will come will justify subscription model. Until new services arrives cloud backup subscription it is. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The Homey guys should go their own way. Until no, despite of al the comments they get in the community, it worked out very well until no. I love the fact that they now setup a payed backup system. I am more than willing to pay for this and maybe more in the near future.

1 Like

So much crying. How do even people have time to have so much negative focus.
Things change, sometimes you agree and sometimes not. Try looking at things from a positive view.
If you really think that a company like athom can survice long-term without having other incomes than selling the hub you’re view is really narrow. Even home Assistant have a subscription fee, and i gladly pay that to support it even though homey is still my main hub.

Yet, we spend thousands on home automation stuff and we starting to yell at a 10 euro fee a year, when we dont even know what else that is coming?

If this is so bad, change system. There is plenty of other system that is more flexible, more local, but yet not as much plug-and-play as homey is.

11 Likes

Then Athoms view was (in your words) narrow or they lied. Bad planning for a company or bad people lying to there customers (the ones that started early on) ??
Same with privacy aspect, our own voice control so you don’t have to depend on data hungry big coorporations. Few years later they removed the mic from new builds.

Still loving the simplicity of my Homey though and will probably give them my €1,- monthly if that helps to keep there heads above the water…

Just wait, probably targeted by Google already, just like Nest!

Could have been the (failed?) business plan from the beginning…

1 Like

It is a very basic Business Plan as the revenues area always has been doomed w very rare positions.
Cannot imagine that any member of the board ever owned a business before. :tipping_hand_man:

They’re trying to expand w/o even issuing the legal multiplications there running into. Just a very small note: They’re advertising with “every brand” in the AppStore… needless to say whether the need of a correction (in legal territory of EU the costs are at around 1 TEUR atm) is just a layers letter away.
I see hundreds companies every year, raising money and asking our company to help them reaching big milestones - it’s just 1 out of 10 that brings the substantial potential. Homework. It’s all about homework. Deliver what you promise.
Internationalising will double your T/O but your compliance will raise by 1000%. Be aware and before getting greedy ensure you are the very best.

It very cute how some guys try to compare to Apple or this and that. Let’s get them handling a Multi-Billion-Dollar-Biz for decades before even playing w the thought of a comparison of Apples and cherries.

Well - Athom has so many homeworks to do before even thinking about charging for anything, so that it’s absolutely understandable if people start questioning the business model behind.

Therefore - it is harsh to go for a “Plus” Model before you fixed your basics (Microsoft as an idol?).

No love, as long as the new slogan could be “Homey: Let the nerds do the real work” or “New Version, new issues” - there’s absolutely no substantial base to build on the premise of such a shift in a business model. (Writing this while facing again new issues w/ the Xiaomi devices; waiting for the yaaaawn long appraised Zigbee core rewrite)

6 Likes

OMG OMG what a bunch of whiny pants. Yes we should thank the developers of apps we use all the time and yes they should get some money for that. But why should Athom not try to make a bit of money?

We use Homey 100% of the time, and I sure as heck don’t want to go back to Domoticz, although I liked the nerdy part of it. My wife and children are used to things working and to Homey giving feedback with lights or sound.

What a load of bullcrock that Athom is again wrong. You probably never donated a single penny to a developer whilest your flows would suck without their app. I’m going to take two Homey+ accounts if possible, just because I’m sick and tired off your better than everyone attitude.

You are asking for the zigbee rewrite? Well I want it too, but I also understand that if I pay money I have a better chance of getting it. And meanwhile, just give Ted something he deserves. https://www.paypal.com/paypalme2/TedTolboom

If you are not part of the sollution, you are part of the problem!

9 Likes

MAGA = Make Athom Great Again?

6 Likes

Sound like you know how to run Athom and develop a flawless Homey.
Im not even sure why you even keep your homey being so negative.

Not happy with what you got, change platform.
Plenty of options for you out there. Whatever you choose, there will always be things you dont like.

7 Likes

Hello community and Athom / Homey.

Homey is now my third smart home hub and I never had one without a backup function.
@Athom / @homey Even if the subscription is just one euro is it a big step back on smart home marked. A backup function should follow for free on every smarthome hub. Why are you adding it as a subscription? At least there should be a local offline backup for every owner to store it on the computer.
I like homey pretty much and the possibilities but if the subscription on backups are not going to be removed I will switchback to Fibaro again. It’s a lot of work to set up everything on the hub.

Best regards.

2 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts, enjoy your Fibaro Alex :)!

5 Likes

thanks for the paypal link. I just did a donation
correct me if i am wrong, but in the old Appstore there was a donate button. I can’t find that button anymore

It’s still there, it’s just not as clear anymore:

2 Likes

I have a Hue hub, Lightwave hub, tado hub, Somfy Tahoma hub and Somfy alarm hub and none of those have a backup feature. As they are mostly cloud based I guess there might be a way to replace a broken hub without setting everything up again but I would not count on that. So I think the Athom subscription is good value for the backup feature. Plus they say there is more to come.

3 Likes

Any change hardware support extension beyond the 2 year warranty will be added to the subscription as well?

Since my smart home is automated more and more, having to deal with broken Homey will be a challenge. If i would be able to extend the lifetime to 5 years with reasonable costs i would probably go for it.

Thanks for constructive thoughts. @Adrian_Rockall I had two different hubs before and on both I could save all settings. Yes I’m enjoying Fibaro products like mostly homey user got in their homey hub.
If they add to the subscription additional support / service for sure worth it :slight_smile:

“Whiny pants”!? When i decided to by buy a Homey back in the days for 300 euro although i could bought 3 other systems for the same amount of money it was the best thing i bought. I was over the top happy and was telling everybody i met to buy one and find that theirs life would be changed!
That was back in the days with 1.5.x…

After that everything’s went downhill…

Nowadays i don’t recommend homey to anyone, sad to say but Athom made a wrong turn and lost me as a fully supported fan and made me to a disappointed pissed off user with no hope for the future…Homey+ is just the beginning for paying more (wtf, for backup!) for every improvement that should be in the price for paying top money for a high end system in the first place.

6 Likes